im a noob at soloing, although ive almost mastered all the techniques it requires, i just cant seem to MAKE solo's, playing them is easy, like I can make riffs almost insantaniously, im that good at riffs, its just in my head. but soloing, i definately need help with, wheres a good starting point?

ive been playing for 7 months by the way, ive learned about 11 solo's, most from pantera and metallica.
Just assemble a band with a crappy rythymer, but hes good at soloing, and throw in a drum and a bass and you don't ever have to learn to solo. It's what I did.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
Just assemble a band with a crappy rythymer, but hes good at soloing, and throw in a drum and a bass and you don't ever have to learn to solo. It's what I did.

no, just no. ive mastered TECHNIQUES, but not all of them, but most of them. and by mastered i mean being able to do it whenever i want at almost any tempo. look my point is where's a good starting point for soloing plz help me.

P.S. I practice like 3 hrs a day

oh and i also know about scales and such but they havent really helped no matter how much i use them, and i also play metal.
Last edited by GOD*OF*ROCK at Jan 29, 2007,
Youve got to feel it in your soul!!!!!

Seriously though, you have to be into it. You have to be passionate about it. For me, it takes me 10 minutes of jamming before im into it and whip out a half good solo.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
no, just no. ive mastered TECHNIQUES, but not all of them, but most of them. and by mastered i mean being able to do it whenever i want at almost any tempo. look my point is where's a good starting point for soloing plz help me.

P.S. I practice like 3 hrs a day

oh and i also know about scales and such but they havent really helped no matter how much i use them, and i also play metal.

Then you obviosly don't know how to use them, becuase scales, pretty much make a solo. And don't go all that feely shit on me, cuz it's that TOO, but if you're just playing random shit, it's most likely gonna sound bad.

My advice: Learn how to use scales, and also, don't expect more out of yourself than you can acutally do, 7 months is NOT a long time. It's not even a year
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

I can't find the quote, but I read an interview with Keith Richards where he talked about how he would rather play rhythm guitar than anything else. He doesn't care about playing flashy, he just loves feeling the rhythm.

It's too early to tell, but maybe you are just a born rhythm player. People seem to think that the only musician worth a damn is the lead guitar player, but that is not true. I find a good classic rock riff or a bluesy baseline way more interesting than some guitar player trying to outshred everybody else. Flash and speed don't equate to superior music.
yeah after 7 months you probably could do "All stuff". After 7 months your ears aren't even developed, you lack the experience, style errors, string noise etc. Let us hear some recordings cause if you can write riffs that good then you could use a melody from you riff in a solo as a theme.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
yeah after 7 months you probably could do "All stuff". After 7 months your ears aren't even developed, you lack the experience, style errors, string noise etc. Let us hear some recordings cause if you can write riffs that good then you could use a melody from you riff in a solo as a theme.

well heres a rather OLD recording, this is like 3 months ago but i still think its pretty cool. a couple of mistakes but hey ive only played 4 months here.

http://download.yousendit.com/919632D123CB2F04
why would the god of rock 'ugs's riffmeister' be asking us mere mortals for advice surely with a name like yours you must be amazing
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Quote by trigs
why would the god of rock 'ugs's riffmeister' be asking us mere mortals for advice surely with a name like yours you must be amazing

ok that wasnt even funny, youre retarded everyone makes up stupid names sometimes. besides i made that name when i was a noob and dont feel like changing it.
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
well heres a rather OLD recording, this is like 3 months ago but i still think its pretty cool. a couple of mistakes but hey ive only played 4 months here.

http://download.yousendit.com/919632D123CB2F04

Ok, so I listened to it, but I still don't get what that's supposed to prove...

Like I said In my other post..

Learn to use scales. And 7 months is hardly any time at all.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

most metal riffs (lke that one) isnt very hard to play, you really should try some different music, to widen your knowledge of music and to simply learn more. I have played for about 1 year, and im far from good, however, i know that the most improtant thing when writing is to take inspiration from everywhere. Im not kidding.
That riff was good, but is lacked a little something. Im serious, i used to be just like you. I wrote metallica riffs, i thought i ruled, and i didnt listen to very many different kinds of music. Then i realised my riffs sucked, i sucked, and i broadened my musical horison. i know listen to everything from Mozart to Robert Jonhson to Eric Clapton to Led Zeppelin to RHCP to Maiden to Children of Bodom and so on and so on...

The point is, you cant grow as a musician until you listen more kinds of music, and when you do, you will realise that you have grown as a man. I know thsi sounds a little like drunken wisdom talk, but im still serious.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Dude, you must be amazing for 7 months to have mastered most solo'ing techniques. And to be able to find that scales and modes don't help you solo - you my friend, are an jerk.

Seriously, when I had been playing 7 month, I practiced just as long as you, if not even longer, and I never mastered loads of techniques, or knew loads about scales.
Why do people label others based on the amount of time they've played, if someone could play like Hendrix after a year then you wouldn't call them a newb would you??

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
A nickname can't be changed, but a user title can.

My advice is, make sure you have your head on your shoulders. Everything past this sentence are from my own personal experience. When you start, of course you have an explosion of progress. You'll settle down once you're past the first step. Eat up as many material and lessons as you can and realize you aren't half the good player you are.
Quote by CanCan
A nickname can't be changed, but a user title can.

My advice is, make sure you have your head on your shoulders. Everything past this sentence are from my own personal experience. When you start, of course you have an explosion of progress. You'll settle down once you're past the first step. Eat up as many material and lessons as you can and realize you aren't half the good player you are.

Well said, thats kinda what i meant, i just didnt have the words for it.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Some general advice for people who are trying to get better, aside from what's been said here:

Learn your terminology. That will help you to communicate with other musicians more effectively, and better communication yields better playing in bands. One of the best ways to do this is to get a book called ''The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory'' -- I'm not implying that you're an idiot, but it is a very good reference point and learning tool for all of the basic information in every area of music... and it should also help you to find the direction you need to practice to improve overall. Also I'd pick up a few guitar exercises to improve your finger strength and dexterity (in ALL fingers) so that you can physically be capable to play the things you're mentally preparing for.

Broaden your sonic horizons... play different styles of music like blues, classic rock, alternative, metal, acoustic, country, and understand the STYLISTIC differences between all of them... what techniques they use, what intervals they commonly use, whether they play straight rhythms or syncopated rhythms, and some of the general styles of their lead and rhythm play -- is it melodic? do they shred? just sit down, listen, think about it, then try to replicate the style (not really the actual notes) with your guitar. It's a good workout mentally for musicianship, not so much for improving your ability to play but for your ability to understand. And you never know, you might find yourself moving in a completely new direction, which gives you more diversity as a player and more potential bands to play in.

Just NEVER write off anything because of its style or apparent lack of complexity. Sometimes simple is good, and to play effectively you need to know when to reign in the show-off parts and when to let it rip.
Rhythm guitartists FTW! Play Accoustic for 1/3 of your daily meditation.
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
im a noob at soloing, although ive almost mastered all the techniques it requires, i just cant seem to MAKE solo's, playing them is easy, like I can make riffs almost insantaniously, im that good at riffs, its just in my head. but soloing, i definately need help with, wheres a good starting point?

ive been playing for 7 months by the way, ive learned about 11 solo's, most from pantera and metallica.

im the exact same way, i make riffs like on the spot, and i improv good. My fingers like have brains when they touch a guitar but solo's are different. I can play solo's I just cant make them. Im trying right now making variations of the pentonic scale, and a few arpeggio's.
good soloing practice is play over drum tracks, no band to keep up with just u and the fretboard, record ur drummer or play to ACDC and ignore everything but the drums, i think im a crappy soloist but once theres a beat to keep with my doubts vanish... gl