hey guys, wondering if there is any trick to finding out what key a song is in? I usually can do it but on songs like "Smells like teen spirit" i get confused since i don't know what the main chord is. Any suggestions?
Often it's the first note or chord played. So for Smells Like Teen Spirit it would in F.

Edit: Then there's major and minor, it's usually easy to tell but power chords are just fifths, so it could really be major or minor.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
It is usually the first note in the song...Smells like teen spirit is in F then? Songs still sound good if you change the Key...Smells like teen spirit with some kick ass harmonica in A sounds godly...
POOP
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/rvd316/Screenshot_37.jpg[/img]
POOP
Quote by Epimaster
It is usually the first note in the song...Smells like teen spirit is in F then? Songs still sound good if you change the Key...Smells like teen spirit with some kick ass harmonica in A sounds godly...

Link? Song? I want to hear.
Haha...I have'nt recorded it...Played it at this school thing...
POOP
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/rvd316/Screenshot_37.jpg[/img]
POOP
Wow! that helped heeps. I thought it was usually the chord the song winds back to, i geuss i was wrong
Ah ok. Sounds cool though.
Well it is many times the note that it ends on. The ending chord is what resolves the song, so that would the be key as well. Thats how I do it, because ive been caught many times with the 1st note thing. Just look for what it resolves too.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
You can tell the key from the number of sharp or flats in you have the book for the song.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
you listen to what chords are being played and find the key that has these chords in it or check to see what scales they are playing