I always ask what should my next bass be and the answer is Fender P bass. Currently I own a Yamaha RBX170 which looks better(I think) than the Fender for the same price and the RBX170 has a P and J pickup. I play mostly rock/metal/punk stuff so I would think something with humbuckers like the Schecter Omen-4 would be better but people still say the P bass. Why? It only has one pickup and it looks to same. How can one pick up be better than two?
well, my p-bass has two pickups, so i dont no why you think theres only one, maybe a lower-end model, but p-bass's (at least mine) sound really good and are easy to play and everything, so thats probably why
It's all preference. Those are just opinions to help you find something new. Go play a Fender P bass and see if you like it, if you don't, look for something new. It's very simple. You don't have to listen to anybody if you don't want to.
exactly, all opinion, i prefer the jazz bass, or the omen 4 over the p bass, wasn't ever a fan of those
Quote by SeventhSkull
well, my p-bass has two pickups, so i dont no why you think theres only one, maybe a lower-end model, but p-bass's (at least mine) sound really good and are easy to play and everything, so thats probably why

Doesn't a "standard Precision bass" have a "split coil pickup" like this?

I always assumed "split coil" meant that it's kind of like one single coil pickup, but split into two...

Or is your bass the P-bass Deluxe that has the single coil at the bridge like so?

Anyways, I think the P-bass is overrated. I never liked them, but the Deluxe models are pretty good, with the single coil. The American Deluxe has a nice humbucker, but it's kinda expensive for what it is.
^ If you don't like them then you don't like em. Just happens that everyone you've asked likes P basses.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Why are the Rolling Stones better than the "Take That"?
Why a Cadillac is better than a Toyota?
Why a Fender is better than a Yamaha?
OH nay nay sir, Toyota's are great!

I don't see many Cadillacs cruising around Iraq with 50cals mounted in the back.

~Toyota - Japanese Tested, Terrorist Approved!

uhh...yeah.

Fender P's Do have a sexy pickguard, however I've never really liked the tone.
Go out and play what you see, and get the one that speaks to you, if you start playing a crap instrument, you'll be able to tell because you wont want to play bass much longer.
I always say - opt for saving up and getting the best.
but until then, just make sure you play a bunch of price-specific but quality equipment and you cant go wrong, listen to what your body tells you and your ear tells you before buying.

~Rog
www.myspace.com/boisebass <- slap demo
MSN = Fox_NP

GIGRIG
Mesa Titan V12, Ampeg 8x10E, Korg DTR2000, Sennheiser freePORT Wireless.

BASSES
'74 RickenMonster, Fernandes Retrospect Deluxe, ABG.
Last edited by RogerBeam at Jan 30, 2007,
I love my P-Bass, i also have a RBX170 and EVERYTHING about my American P-Bass is better IMO. Are you thinking of a Squier by Fender?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
I love my P-Bass, i also have a RBX170 and EVERYTHING about my American P-Bass is better IMO. Are you thinking of a Squier by Fender?

Way to compare the RBX170 to an AMERICAN P-BASS. Geez, thats like saying my Ferarri owns my pinto.