I'm rebuilding a Peavey Nitro that belong to a friend of mine who passed away a few years ago. I know it may not be the most valuable guitar, and it may not be the prettiest. You also may not like the fact that I want to do everything I can to preserve certain aspects of it's current appearance, but please just respect my sense of nostalgia and help me out

Yes, it's covered in stickers. My friend was a big goober, and I loved him to death.

First image: The guitar itself. Can someone identify exactly which model of Nitro this is? The serial number is 03020905. What I want to do is find some sort of clear coat that will completely cover and preserve the stickers. Some are getting very old and are wanting to peel off, and I want to avoid this at ALL costs.

Second image: Pickups, tremelo, knobs and switches. If possible I would like to completely replace these. Put in a humbucker and some hot rails maybe, and new pots and switches. Suggestions here would be awesome, as all I have ever done in this department was put a hot rail in my strat. I can solder and read diagrams, so none of that is a problem.

Third image: Guts. Just took a shot of this because as of right now, I plan on finding pretty much the same stuff and wiring it all the same way, because it would be easy. But any advice on changes or more efficient ways to do it would be nice. (I know, this thing is a mess. It's been neglected since I got it, but I'm ready to make good on it now.)

So there it is. Any advice you can give would be awesome. Money isn't really an issue, this is very important to me and I am willing to do whatever it takes to preserve this guitar.

Thanks a lot
Last edited by skeetar at Jan 30, 2007,
Ive not seen to many of these guitars, im assuming the are cheaper versions of Peavys maybe like Squier to Fender or Epiphone to Gibson.....as for pickups, it depends on what sound you want and what kind of music youll be playing. I would leave all the wiring, pots and input jack, switches as long as theres no snap crackle or pops in it. You could replace the mini switches and knobs though since those look a little beat up. what kind of bridge is that?? it looks odd. To protect the stickers, I would strip all the parts out down to the bare body and give it several coats of clear. You could take it to a pro and pay a few hundred or buy some clear laquer varnish stuff at the hardware store and brush it on...im not sure about the neck though, maybe a few light coats of a satin type of laquer, so its not glossy but still there to protect the stickers.
Oh, I forgot to mention. The neck is fine as is, I want the guitar to remain playable.
Buy some clear acrylic they use for cars and someone with an air compressor/spray gun and just do a few coats over it with all the hardware removed. It also polishes up REALLY shiny so it should make it look pretty cool. I dunno about protecting thestickers on the fretboard though.
The neck I'm not so worried about, because those stickers would be easy to replicate. They'll only get worse through playing, so I've kind of come to the understanding that they will have to be replace someday. No biggie, I will deal.
one. it's neckthrough.

two. it's a good guitar, dunno exactly what model, but they all have good bridges.

three. i already tried, you'll confuse yourself trying to rewire it too much, pickup changes are about the limit, but don't plan on putting in any hot rails or anything.

four. i have the same guitar, i love it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
three. i already tried, you'll confuse yourself trying to rewire it too much, pickup changes are about the limit, but don't plan on putting in any hot rails or anything.

Don't put in hot rails because they won't sound right, or because I will have a hard time wiring it?

I planned on using hot rails in the middle and neck. If you're worried about me getting confused with the wiring, don't worry, heh. I will figure it out.
i have a guitar that is exactly like that except it is a peavey falcon in sunburst.

but the body is similar, horns are sharper, and it was until recently covered in stickers. same bridge too.

EDIT:

3 on/off switches!!!
can i marry your instrument to mine in traditional indian fashion? i've got an OS-2 for a dowry? plz?

EDIT2:

put cool rails in the neck, or maybe some lace sensors. i think that a clear coat might work, or perhaps shelac (idk what it is, but i think it will help). a combo of coolrails-hotrails-invader would be cool for metal if you like that, but consider the the other duncans also.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Last edited by woodenbandman at Jan 30, 2007,
Shellac is suited to finishing stripped guitars (ie. woodgrain) and it's considered one of the harder finishes to apply. Stick with a good poly or nitro if you've got the cash.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
no, i've tried, my local guitar techs have tried, my dad tried (he has an electrical engineering degree), no wiring diagrams exist. it's impossible. pretty cool looking from the outside, though.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
no, i've tried, my local guitar techs have tried, my dad tried (he has an electrical engineering degree), no wiring diagrams exist. it's impossible. pretty cool looking from the outside, though.

Huh?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by tubab0y

I don't need a diagram, I'll figure it out heh.
Quote by woodenbandman

put cool rails in the neck, or maybe some lace sensors. i think that a clear coat might work, or perhaps shelac (idk what it is, but i think it will help). a combo of coolrails-hotrails-invader would be cool for metal if you like that, but consider the the other duncans also.

I think I'm going with a SH-6 in the bridge and cool rails in the neck. Dunno about the middle.
Quote by the_random_hero
Stick with a good poly or nitro if you've got the cash.

Could you recommend a couple of each?
I've seen people on this site using Duplicolour and Krylon aerosols, you could use Reranch Products or StewMac . I'm sure somebody who is a bit more knowledgable with clear coating will browse by any second now...
Quote by tubab0y

Impossible?

There's nothing simpler.

I don't believe your dad has an EE degree if he can't even do that.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
sticking a three-way on instead of the on/on is gonna work better with the bucker. i'd say wire it up the same as the bridge pup.

EDIT: and pink, it's not that it's impossible, it's just that the guitar wasn't meant for it. it's possible, like everything. just i don't have the time. and he's forgotten a lot.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Impossible?

There's nothing simpler.

I don't believe your dad has an EE degree if he can't even do that.

hahahah- seriously.... its just an on/off switch- i wired my jackson up with a set of them, hella easy-

and i like the guitar- sound tite man- keep the legacy livin on!
Quote by tubab0y
sticking a three-way on instead of the on/on is gonna work better with the bucker. i'd say wire it up the same as the bridge pup.

EDIT: and pink, it's not that it's impossible, it's just that the guitar wasn't meant for it. it's possible, like everything. just i don't have the time. and he's forgotten a lot.

Dude, a regular old pickup has 2 leads. If you're wiring up the rail as a HB, you have 2 leads to use. Replace the old ground with the new ground, replace the old hot with the new hot. seriously, NOTHING to it.

Your dad was not an EE. That's impossible.
i'm gonna go run off to some thread not about electronics. i've defeated myself here. maybe i'll go make fun of the guy that wants EMGs for classic rock.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Your dad has an degree in Electrical Engeneering and he can't wire a guitar?

I was close to being a high school dropout, and I can wire a guitar.

If you want to switch he old pickups for some new ones, Seymour Duncan has alot of good diagrams. They don't have everything under the sun, but what they don't have we could peice together for you.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I think I'm gonna put an SH-6 in the bridge, a cool rails in the neck, and I'm still undecided on the middle. I may stick a hot rails in there, just to see if I can get a cool funky sound, I dunno.

Thoughts on the middle?
You could just leave the middle single in, but just not wire it up. Then throw in a 3 way switch, and the switches for phasing and for coiltapping.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club