Okay, Alexi Laiho of CoB uses his GP100-2902 setup for the studio and live shows...

But, on clinics and lessons, I see him using a JCM 900 HiGain Dual Reverb amp....
I've played one, heck, my Rhythm Guitarist owns one !!

And I swear, I didn't have THAT amount of gain..

So, he's probably using a boost pedal, what boost pedal is he using ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I've a jcm 900 Myself and use a Boss SD-1 (the yellow overdrive) to boost the signal. It really works quite well.

wanna hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcP-s8YurFY the intro and leads played by me through marshall Jcm 900 with a boss Sd1

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Pretty Nice.....

And you like Marty too !! That's a good thing !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
jup jup

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
his guitar has a gain boost, the EMG PA2. the lee jackson preamp as it is doesnt have enough gain.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Yeah that guy is right, totally forgot he has a booster in his guitar itself. Go on the Emg site to check it out. But I think you can only use it on emg's

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Actually, I think you can use it on any pickup. Active or passive. It just has to have a battery to run on.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yeah that guy is right, totally forgot he has a booster in his guitar itself. Go on the Emg site to check it out. But I think you can only use it on emg's

it works with any passives or actives. They recommend it for passives if you are trying to mix them with active pups to match the output.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
So the Guitar World clinic with Roope Latvala,,,... was just a HZ pickup --> EMG AfterbBurner gain booster --> JCM 900 ???

NO pedal AT ALL ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Umm..

What pedal is the boutique equivalent of the SD-1 ??

The Xotic RC or AC ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
I was actually wondering about this too, I'm thinking about getting a JCM900 and if I get one, I want a good overdrive pedal instead of buying EMG's and routing my guitar for the after burner.

So what's a good overdrive?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Anyone?

Hows the MXR ZW-44 Wylde OD? or the Boss SD1? or DOD YJM308 Malmsteen OD?

Also what's the difference between the Ibanez TS7, TS9, and TS808???
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Depends on what sound you want. The Ibanezes sound like tube amps, so they'd be a more natural sounding pedal. I tried the Boss in front of a roland cube and it fattened the leads up nicely. the best thing would just be to go to the nearest guitar store and try some of those pedals out.

EDIT: There's not much of a difference between the Ibanezes, unless you're like Eric Johnson.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Alexi uses no pedals. If anything, he had his Rocktron Intellifex hooked up, but that wouldn't make sense. It was just his Afterburner, it helps the HZ sound more "active", therefore producing more gain.
High as tits
So thats just the AB2 >> JCM 900........ dude, listen to the gain level, and listen to the volume (it's still not that Loud !!)...... so he must be boosting it !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by mw7
Anyone?

Hows the MXR ZW-44 Wylde OD? or the Boss SD1? or DOD YJM308 Malmsteen OD?

Also what's the difference between the Ibanez TS7, TS9, and TS808???

zakks is super noisy and not great, boss is nice, but i would get a modded one

the TS9 is the best for a "metal" OD, more modern sounding

if ya can afford it, i would tell everyone to get the S.D Twin Tube Pedal OD (two channel, rhythm and lead, therefore can make a one channel amp, into 3) as this has massive amounts of gain and can easily do Hendrix, Zep et al, if you back down the gain and boost volume only
TS9 is a nice way to push through for some extra gain. No on the zakk wylde and a bigger no on the DOD YJM. Of course any of the Vox cooltrons sound great and have a tube built right in...it ups my gain( The Big Ben) . Now I dont need more gain so I dont use it for that purpose....but it does work. But the ts9 is a safe bet...and probably a little easier to find. But If you want something totally different in tone....check out the VOX cooltron series.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Damn...... I never a built in boost could sound that awesome...

Anyway, Wouldnt boosting an amp via a TS add .... you know... too much mids !!??

Keep the faith, baby!!