Page 1 of 2
I personally own a Marcus and love it. The preamp is versatile, albeit a bit confusing (the fourth knob is bass, third is treble, second is active volume, first is passive volume). I use it for jazz, rock, and funk. It looks WAYYY cooler than the Geddy Lee. The tuners are reversed on it for some reason. It was a VERY close call with the Geddy Lee, however. They're both great basses, but I prefer the MM (obviously).
but he hate's MM he just likes it cause it's like owning 2 basses cause you can switch to active and passive .. which is true though.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
and btw. you can make the geddy lee bass look cooler just change the pick guard color. right?
Sorry but i find this thread really silly. You are asking us what bass to suggest to your friend? If he likes both, tell him to go play them for an hour and then choose. or are you gonna say "applehead on UG said get the MM so you should get that".
^well you heard him, Applehead said to get the Miller.
It's up to your friends preference's, no one elses.
Well, if he hates Marcus Miller, then why the hell doesn't he just get the Geddy Lee?
because he said MM's bass looks way cooler and it's like having 2 basses passive/active.
I bought the Miller because i prefered it to any other jazz bass. Your friend may not think that way. I have no idea what your friend plays, what tone he wants, how thick he wants his neck? they are quite similar basses actually, so he would be happy with either one.
I heard the Geddy Lee bass has a muddy tone, but I've never played it so I don't know. But the Marcus Miller bass sounds incredble and plays like a dream.
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
but he hate's MM he just likes it cause it's like owning 2 basses cause you can switch to active and passive .. which is true though.

If the bass plays well and sounds good, what does it matter whose name is on the headstock? I honestly don't care if it's Mark Hoppus Sig, if it sounds good and plays well, then I'll like it. But I haven't played a Mark Hoppus Sig before and don't plan to
Tell him to go try them both out, you go by looks or stats. sometimes they just feel right!

i have no experience with the Geddy jazz, but i have played the Marcus miller jazz and i can tell you its a well built, great sounding instrument
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Take the MM, aaaabsolutely!!!
The question is not if you like Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee most, you should stick to the basses. And if you put them side by side and look at them you'll grab the MM, trust me!
Quote by MarcoSavona
And if you put them side by side and look at them you'll grab the MM, trust me!

Amen to that
Based on looks alone, I would say the MM.

THough really he should try both of them out and see which he prefers. Like Applehead said (in his rather party pooping way ) we're only users on an internet forum. He should decide for himself.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Applehead
It was early and i had a crap journey into work !

I suppose you can be excused.

In time.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by MarcoSavona
And if you put them side by side and look at them you'll grab the MM, trust me!

Actually for me it was the Geddy Lee, but after a while I realized the Geddy Lee was just a jazz bass with those orgasmic Black Block inlayson the maple neck. The Miller is very different so that's why I like it better now.I've only played the Geddy though so maybe I'll hate the Miller....
Quote by merfsullivan
I heard the Geddy Lee bass has a muddy tone, but I've never played it so I don't know. But the Marcus Miller bass sounds incredble and plays like a dream.

Absolutely not! The Geddy Lee has one of the brightest tones that I've ever heard on a Jazz bass. The maple neck really brings out the brightness and growl. The MM is a really great bass from what I've heard, but I've never had the honor of playing one. My best advice is to try them out! Only you can choose your bass.
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
because he said MM's bass looks way cooler and it's like having 2 basses passive/active.

well....tell him that if they werent signature basses, which would he choose? (point is to tell him, that just because MM uses, it DOESNT AFFECT THAT BASSEAA!!!!
it depends on how much he hates Marcus Miller. Maybe Marcus killed his family or something. i would definitely not buy his sig bass then
Quote by Nighthawk551
Absolutely not! The Geddy Lee has one of the brightest tones that I've ever heard on a Jazz bass. The maple neck really brings out the brightness and growl. The MM is a really great bass from what I've heard, but I've never had the honor of playing one. My best advice is to try them out! Only you can choose your bass.

But the Miller has a maple neck too....and Amen to what he said about the choice.
It's up to you! There's plenty of greedy music shop owners out there should you change your mind....we gotta feed them someway
And I forgot...i'd take the Miller even if Marcus Miller was Jack the Ripper and Geddy Lee St.Francis from Assisi....
Buy A Geddy and install an Audere preamp, much better than the Fender pre that comes with the MM.
No question i'd take the miller, it's one sexy bass
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
sorry, but who is marcus miller?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Applehead

no thanks
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
he is obviously a bass player if he has his own signature bass, isn't he? If you bothered to look at all you could answer your own question.
Take a look at www.marcusmiller.com!

He has been playing for a while with a strange cat whose name was Miles......
^Yeah I remember Miles he was a trumpet player or something you know not many people remembered him though . And marcus miller is probably the king of groove for what I've heard of him (not alot) his style of jazz is nuts.
Yep, I know it's difficult to remember what instrument he used to play....he always played with his back to the audience, which is not very polite.... but can remember he
knew his way around a trumpet I guess...
Quote by Applehead
he is obviously a bass player if he has his own signature bass, isn't he? If you bothered to look at all you could answer your own question.

im sorry, i just thought since you were all talking about him you could give me a more direct answer

no need to be rude about it
<//////>~
I'm sorry, you're right. I apologise for being a dick.

Marcus Miller is a Jazz bass player who has worked as both a session player and recorded his own albums. He is very well known for his work with slap bass, and has worked with the likes of aretha franklin and miles davis. I see him as a bit of a pioneer when it comes to slap bass. He does lots of other stuff now, but still tours a lot. He is a really great bass player, and his signature bass is, in my opinion, one of the best Fender Jazz basses you can buy new.

^
<//////>~
Page 1 of 2