Hey I've been a metal fan my whole life but recently have started exploring the masters of jazz fusion. Can anyone mention some good jazzy meta bands, or bands with jazzy solos? I can think of Atheist and Cynic.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
check out Christophe Godin.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
It's not really jazz-metal. But To-Mera often use jazzy interludes.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Go to rec thread, but check out some songs from severed savior or sleep terror.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I can recommend a few bands that do a bit of both:

Mr. Bungle – but only in a few songs: Carry Stress In The Jaw (album version is very different from this vid) and Platypus
Behold... The Arctopus
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Naked City

Those Mr. Bungle songs are about a 50/50 mix of jazz and metal and are quite awesome. So that's as close as it gets as far as my recommendations are concerned. Naked City is similar and definitely worth checking out, but is harder to get into, imho.

DEP and Arctopus aren't explicitly jazzy and stay a lot closer to metal, but share some aspects with jazz and also happen to be awesome bands in my opinion (actually, many UG'ers will argue that DEP isn't metal but mathcore or whatever retarded name they invented this time...).

Estradasphere is another band that sometimes jazz and metal, just not as often. However, i still recommend checking them out because they're highly creative and incredibly skilled musicians, as you can clearly hear in this performance... ffs just listen to that drum solo!!! They're one of my favorite current bands.
Their music is largely a klezmer/jazz hybrid (klezmer is Jewish folklore music, for those who don't know) but occasionally they thrown in some bursts of metal guitar and they also have a few traditional metal songs.
Megadeth's Killing Is My Business and Peace Sells were both very jazz-inspired, what with Gar and Chris being jazz players and all...
11 replys and only one mentions Atheist? Thats odd, lol

Atheist.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
i was gonna say Sleep Terror, but i guess i got beaten to it. Gordian Knot arent metal, but they've got Sean Malone, and are awesome, so you cant go wrong.
Quote by IgnoreThis
11 replys and only one mentions Atheist? Thats odd, lol

Atheist.

Maybe because the threadstarter said that he already likes Atheist.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
^ didnt notice that

Cephalic Carnage have some jazz influences too.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Ovum Lycanthropy
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I think this thread should stay because it is unique and can be used for discussion.

Rec: Like everyone said, athiest
yeah the drumming on "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying" and "Killing Is My Business" by Megadeth are very jazzy. God i miss Gar, RIP buddy.

other then that.. hm i'm guessing that testament may be considered jazzy, since alex skolnick was/is in a jazz trio (?)
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Jan 30, 2007,
Hey I didn't get a chance to add in my original post but I was also going to include: Pestilence, later Death possibly, um Voivod maybe(Piggy seems pretty jazzy) Is Spiral Architect jazzy? Also, if you count new King Crimson( The Power to Believe is pretty heavy.) THe solos from Demonoid. I also read that Allan Holdsworth released a metal like album. Not sure though.
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
Quote by garden of grey
^ you know, you could have just changed the typo

pft i know but ... damn *Edits post*
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
behold....the arctopus!!!
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Opeth's Damnation album, to be specific.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?