i recently bought a second hand Ibanez ICX120 and im thinking of modding it up a bit some new passive pickups

i play hard rock mostly, but im looking for pickups with good cleans (since im using a Digitech Grunge pedal for distortion anyway)

i was thinking along the lines of these brands (model names included if im sure of which i want):

Swineshead 'Venom' (Bridge and neck)
Seymour Duncan
DiMarzio

i havent got much money to go for a top of the range, but i could maybe stretch so far with my budget, which would you recommend? thanks
Last edited by hellview_666 at Jan 30, 2007,
Maybe consider a Symour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates on the neck
Quote by anewhope
Maybe consider a Symour Duncan JB in the bridge and a Pearly Gates on the neck

+1
I say Swinesheads but not a Venom neck, the Condor has amazing cleans and sounds great for soloing with gain too and if it's for hard rock then the Warthog for the bridge probably but email them with your setup and I'm sure they will help you choose.
jsut hada listen to the audio demos of those pickups on the website...loving the tone very much thanks!

The clips are good, but remember the pickups won't sound like that in your guitar, unless you happen to have the exact same rig they played through...are your ears good enough to tell you how much of the tone is from the amp and how much is from the pickups?

Not that I'm anti-swineshead....far from it, I think they're great, I just don't want you thinking pickups will do more than they can. Either way though, Swineshead are the best value for money when it comes to pickups in the UK.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Why don't you consider Kent Armstrong Pickups? They are (in my opinion!) as good as Seymour Duncan, but without the publicity, or fanfare.

They are usually sold mail order, rather than in shops, but if you try

wdmusic.co.uk, or WD.com,

you can choose anything from their range to suit you. I had a problem with muddy sounding pickups a few years ago and called them for advice. Kent Armstrong was there at the time and took the call. After explaining what the problem was and what I was trying to do, he made recommendations, which i then purchased. To this day, I've never regretted putting them on my guitars. He sorted out the deficiencies of the instrument perfectly.

They are a fraction of Duncan prices and have a large range to choose from.

Not many people know them cos they aren't sold as widely as Duncan's & DiMarzio's, but they match up in every other way!
Quote by Brownsy
Why don't you consider Kent Armstrong Pickups? They are (in my opinion!) as good as Seymour Duncan, but without the publicity, or fanfare.

They are usually sold mail order, rather than in shops, but if you try

wdmusic.co.uk, or WD.com,

you can choose anything from their range to suit you. I had a problem with muddy sounding pickups a few years ago and called them for advice. Kent Armstrong was there at the time and took the call. After explaining what the problem was and what I was trying to do, he made recommendations, which i then purchased. To this day, I've never regretted putting them on my guitars. He sorted out the deficiencies of the instrument perfectly.

They are a fraction of Duncan prices and have a large range to choose from.

Not many people know them cos they aren't sold as widely as Duncan's & DiMarzio's, but they match up in every other way!

i have a look into those...i also emailled Swineshead and they suggested Venom's
Quote by hellview_666
i have a look into those...i also emailled Swineshead and they suggested Venom's

Cool I'd go with his recommendation over mine just when you said you play hard rock and want good cleans I would have thought the Warthog/Condor combo but I guess things like the body material of the guitar etc make things different.
I have a venom. the cleans aren't that great. I'd go venom bridge/condor neck.

Take what mark says into account though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Not to steal the thread - but how would a Dimarzio PAF pro in the neck and a Evolution in the bridge sound for a hard rock sound?
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Not to steal the thread - but how would a Dimarzio PAF pro in the neck and a Evolution in the bridge sound for a hard rock sound?

Bit pants - pair of Breeds or a Norton/Breed combo would be better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I use Bare Knuckle Pickups, a combined set of the PainKiller pickups are amazing, best passive pickups I have ever heard, AND they are in my esp ltd M-100
Will the Norton/Breed combo kill his cleans?
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Shouldn't do, will probably have to roll the guitar volume off a tad to get sparkly, but that goes for most humbuckers. They will clean up...unlike the Tone Zone which couldn't do clean if you gave it a year's supply of Cillit Bang.

If you can't be bothered to muck around with the knobs there's always series/paralell switching or a coil split.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 31, 2007,