Poll: Instrumental bands...Do they work?
Poll Options
View poll results: Instrumental bands...Do they work?
Yes
14 42%
No
5 15%
Depends
14 42%
Voters: 33.
So I've been pondering lately if vocals are necessary in a band. There is a reason why, every singer I know is Hitler. I play bass and rhythm guitar, and I pretty laid back, so I expect to not have too much influence and words in a band. But when the singer sucks, you're lower than a keyist or a tamborine player.

I had the chance to go to a show friday night, and they were an instrumental version of DragonForce (basically). Very thrashy, went into the pit for a second, watched the dual lead guitarist closest to me tap a chord (Satriani style). But what really surprised me was no screaming, no vocals what so ever. It changed the way I thought about the need of vocals in a metal/hard rock environment.

So my question is, are vocals necessary? If so, name a band that you think is a good example of why instrumental bands are capable/better than vocal (esp. gutteral vocals).
If you can, please provide a link to an example of their music.
The golden rule is that no vocals > bad vocals.

This can be easily pulled off in a metal band, because pounding drums and awesome guitar shred can provide enough energy.

However, in a mainstream setting, vocals are important because non-musicians usually find it really hard to hook onto something without words.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I'd rather do instrumental music, too, but as already said, vocals add a lot to a song. Maybe you can find a compromise and add just few vocals, think of The Doors - Riders on the Storm or some Opeth/Rotting Christ-stuff.
Vocals don't have to take over the melody-part.
And forget Yngwie as a composer.
^ seconded.

Äh, Sie wollen also mit Schlitz.
I prefer vocals. Vocals tend to add more melody, I guess. And I like hearing intelligent, well written lyrics about killing, maiming and the end of the world.

No but seriously, I hardly ever listen to instrumental guitar music. Not saying its shit or anything but it doesn't float my boat.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
I think it depends on your audience. If your playing to a group of musicians, then I wouldnt say vocals are necessary. But for average people, vocals are what gets the point of the song across. They need someone telling them what the hell the song is about.
Well you mentioned satriani, he doesn't really use vocals. neither does steve vai, who's easy to find on youtube. to be honest i dont really know of any others. as an honest opinion, you dont NEED vocals, however, they are useful, because even with great variation within playing styles it gets dull after a while. even a few lines here and there would be good. it doesn't have to be sung, or be long.

maybe try growling a few words out ursel?
Liquid Tension Experiment
Alex de Grassi
John Petrucci

JAZZ!

Edit: and when you think about it most of the great bands in history had some intrumentals. Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Metallica (I don't like them but they were influential), Opeth, etc.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by CobenBlack
Well you mentioned satriani, he doesn't really use vocals. neither does steve vai, who's easy to find on youtube. to be honest i dont really know of any others. as an honest opinion, you dont NEED vocals, however, they are useful, because even with great variation within playing styles it gets dull after a while. even a few lines here and there would be good. it doesn't have to be sung, or be long.

maybe try growling a few words out ursel?

I do back up occasionally.
Satriani is the shit, very accomplished, as is Vai.
I agree with you completely, I'd prefer doing a "Moby Dick" or an "Orion" in the middle of an album opposed to just straight up vocals.