Hey ppl, i'm thinking of buying the Ibanez RG 2550e and i've got some questions to ask...

Is it really as good as it sounds?
I've heard that the whammy bar isn't too good, is that true?

Thanks for the help,
HB
Basically it's a Jem with more versatile pickups, a basswood body and less frilly bits....quality wise it's just as good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Basically it's a Jem with more versatile pickups, a basswood body and less frilly bits....quality wise it's just as good.

Meah, debatable. The pickups stock on Ibanez arent really classed as versatile, I'd say more plain old Stock.

If you hear steve vai's stuff you'll know that the JEMs pickups are versatile as feck.

Also, the trem is exactly the same and it has basswood body instead of alder but the mirror finished JEM has basswood body too.
Gr8 thnks steven seagull.

And tuning wise...is it difficult to change the strings and get them in tune quickly? or how about if i want to change the tuning from a strandard tuning to a dropped c? is it a hassle?

If i decide to change the pickups to Dimarzio Evolution...will they have there full effect in the guitar??

Thanks
The Evo won't sound exctly how it does on a JEM but it'll sound pretty damn good.
Also changing tunings from Stnadard to drop D is easy, but going down whoe steps at a time is a bit more difficult.
But changing strings should be fine.
It should come with a manual of how to do all this when you get it.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
The Evo won't sound exctly how it does on a JEM but it'll sound pretty damn good.
Also changing tunings from Stnadard to drop D is easy, but going down whoe steps at a time is a bit more difficult.
But changing strings should be fine.
It should come with a manual of how to do all this when you get it.

No, it won't. The S470 has extended range fine tuners AND an easily adjustable bridge, it's harder to drop tuning with other trems.

If you plan on changing tunings often, get a hardtail or something with a ZR trem.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
No, it won't. The S470 has extended range fine tuners AND an easily adjustable bridge, it's harder to drop tuning with other trems.

If you plan on changing tunings often, get a hardtail or something with a ZR trem.

I know, i'm not on about with the fine tuners, its still pretty damn easy just to take the locking nut off and spin the tuner a lil'.
on a edge pro that wouldn't be a good idea to do , you will have to retune al the other strings too for a few times before the trem sets itself in the right position.

trust me\/
Orange Enthousiast.
Meah, debatable. The pickups stock on Ibanez arent really classed as versatile, I'd say more plain old Stock.

The V's and Inf's are pretty meh, but the 2550 has the Dimarzio made IBZ USA models...neck's pretty much a Dimarzio Super 2, bridge is close to the Super Distortion. These are actual Dimarzios, not "Dimarzio Designed" or any of that crap, they're an OEM model made for Ibanez. I doubt you'll feel the need to change them, and Evo's aren't particularly versatile, they're made for shredding...if you want your guitar to cover a range of styles they aren't an ideal choice.

I know, i'm not on about with the fine tuners, its still pretty damn easy just to take the locking nut off and spin the tuner a lil'.

You still send all the other strings out of whack though - i find it's more trouble than it's worth, I can't be bothered spending 15 minutes re-tuning just to get 2 more notes. If you get any guitar with a floating bridge pick one tuning and stick with it, if you want to change tunings regularly get a hard-tail.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Also, consider on the amp you have if you want to get a certain sound.
Gear:

Guitars:
ESP Ltd Ex-50
Jackson DK2M(Coming Soon)
Amp:
Laney Mxd120
Accessories:
Digitech Rp100 Effects Pedal
Quote by steven seagull
(a) The V's and Inf's are pretty meh, but the 2550 has the Dimarzio made IBZ USA models...neck's pretty much a Dimarzio Super 2, bridge is close to the Super Distortion. These are actual Dimarzios, not "Dimarzio Designed" or any of that crap, they're an OEM model made for Ibanez. I doubt you'll feel the need to change them, and Evo's aren't particularly versatile, they're made for shredding...if you want your guitar to cover a range of styles they aren't an ideal choice.

(b)You still send all the other strings out of whack though - i find it's more trouble than it's worth, I can't be bothered spending 15 minutes re-tuning just to get 2 more notes. If you get any guitar with a floating bridge pick one tuning and stick with it, if you want to change tunings regularly get a hard-tail.

(a) yeah, basically. i don't like those dm/ibz pickups as much as "real" dimarzios, but then again, that may just be that I preferred the "real" dimarzios that I tried head to head with them (tone zone/air norton).

(b) yeah. or a tremel-no.

Quote by hoogie boogie
i've got a fender champion ds-30. I'm happy with it, but willi need to change it??

is that a beginner practice amp, or one of the older tube ones? I'm not too well up on the myriad fender amps.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://www.schematicheaven.com/fender.htm

i don't see it there unfortunately. My guess is that if it's old and all-tube, assuming it still works, it probably kicks ass. I'm guessing it's more geared to clean tones, though, it really depends what you want.

You could maybe buy a boutique overdrive or distortion pedal and run that through it- HBE make some nice ones (power screamer or Big D), along with many other guys (xotic, hermida, etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great Guitar just bought mine its more 4 soloing and stuff whammy bar works great u just have 2 get the action and stuff right

problems, the guitar has a very bassy sound only problem
I'm thinking of getting one of these, best thing is that Ibanez have now changed the inlays to Sharktooth if you look on their website, which looks better than dots in my opinion