Today is the day this old-dude starts his first lesson. I am probably just going to go over basics, like the proper way to hold the guitar, posistioning your hands in the proper manner, etc.

Before doing this, I'll probably ask him what he wants to learn on the guitar, or what he wants to get out of it. I'm assuming he wants to get to a point where he can start learning songs, so I figured starting him off on the right foot (technique) would definitely aid in that.

What would you guys do, or what would you do differently?
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Try and teach him 2 easy chords (e minor and A?)
And then he can practice them
But yeah, teach him all the parts etc.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
I'd ask him what bands he likes. If he likes classic stuff, first get him into hand positions and strumming. Then I'd teach him simple power chords like an E. Also teach him how to tune his guitar, and tell when it's out of tune.
this is probably quite patronising of me but remember he might have arthiritis in his hands so u might have to be VERY patient. Apart from that i say just teach him as u would anyone else, until u get to know him better.
shit that's a difficult task
haha i agree with the guy above me
some easy open chords and i'm sure he'll be happy
I run my blade through your tendons,
you scream as i watch you fall.
Squealing in your lake of blood,
i smile as i watch you crawl.
Start him off with three chords. E, G, and D. If he wants to start learning songs this early, ACDC - TNT.
yea, i figured Id start him on open chords, then move to the easy barre chords, which aren't always easy to articulate, at first.

The thing to remember is not to stay tensed. I will tell him "if its too difficult, don't force it. If you feel pain, or hand becoming tensed up, try to relax. This may mean you hold your hand in that position for 10 minutes, trying to stay relaxed. You might not "hit" the chord at first, but its something that will come in time"

I really don't think I would get to that point in 30-45 minutes, especially if he knows nothing coming in, which I think is his case
LOTS of patience man. A 75 yr old probably isn't going to have great dexterity, especially if he's never played before. Better start learning some 50's tunes bro.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
im really not worried about what he wants to learn.

I'm a technique-*****, so I not too worried about his development. It wasn't TOO long ago that I went through the steps myself.

I will reinterate to him the importance of 'patience', and not trying to overdo anything, as well as the role tension plays.
I really can't imagine 50s songs being demanding, at all :lol:
haha, I meant patience for you man. Yeah, 50's tunes should be fun to learn actually. Some of those old standards looked pretty kickass to play as remember. My grandfather used to play jazz guitar, so I got to watch him play when I was little.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well, considering my next student is 8, I'll have to be patient eventually :lol:

but yea, I expect him to shut up, and just listen for a while. If he answers back correctly enough, I'll show him how to go about fingering some chords, and maybe some strum patterns.

I really don't know if he wants to finger pick or use a regular pick. Either way, Ill be prepared
Have him use a regular pick. Finger picks are too small. If he's 75, he'll probably end up either dropping it a half million times, or scraping his fingers up on the strings.
sup kurrpt

when do you think the server will be back up this time?

get him some buddy holly

some of those guitar parts are quite cool
I honestly I have no idea...

if anything, its good for me. I've been reading ibreathmusic articles/lessons all day
Nick from MX?
Sup kurrpt.
I hope the server is gonna be back up soon

This is the longest I can remember it being down tbh

It's kinda fun to come here for a laugh sometimes though
Yeah. I visit UG forums like once a month
I'm bored without MX.
give me them MSNz plz.
i would teach him the same as i would another beginner. older people really hate it if you treat them differently because they are old. if he is all there in the head (assuming he is since he wants to learn guitar) then just treat him like anyone else, he may want to learn elvis or some chuck berry instead of metallica, but whatever, he is still a beginner.

but since he is older, he may say "im old, so go slow" and if so, try going normal speed, and if its too much, then just repeat untill he gets it. i teach old people how to use their brand new satellite television, and they get it, just a bit slower than a 6 year old.

make sense?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
yea, basically you're saying not to specifically cater to his age unless he requests I do so :thumb:
^yea, or if you see he is having problems, then make a change, but i would do it the same.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
so how did it go?

Quote by steven seagull
I was thinking,since his fingers might be weak,maybe you should tune his guitar down to D?
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's