If you own a Peavey XXX Super 40...please help me! I want to know if it has a jack in the back of the head section where a speaker cable will come out and go to the speaker. I am looking to buy one on ebay, and cannot make out what the jacks on the back are for. The reason I need to know, is because if I get it, I would like to get a valve junior head, and use the XXX as a cab, so I dont have to buy a whole new cab. I also dont want to have to modify the XXX.

So, does it have a speaker out jack in the back, where I could take the cable from that and plug it into my valve junior? Thanks!
Quote by It'sForTheBest
Those cameras are really cool. I'm watching a parking lot right now.

Quote by SynGates7X
alright, you need to tell me how you get the shits to come out
No, the speaker is soldered to the head. Before I bought mine, I had the same question, then I was thinking about how much of a bitch it would be to keep plugging and unplugging a cable in between songs. Also, the ohms would probably be ****ed up if you did that. The cleans aren't too terrible on the XXX if thats why your looking at. Maybe find a way to get your current amp to run like a cab once you get the XXX?
Damn.
but I am happy because I got the XXX!!

But look at this picture...it looks like the jack jsut to the left of "Peavey" and just to the right of the footswitch jack is for a speaker. What else would those little warning lightning bolts be for?
Attachments:
78e7_1.jpg
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Nope, thats an external out jack for if you want to bypass the speaker and go to a different cab. Problem with that is that the cab you plug into cant be less than 16 ohms, so it limits the speakers you can plug into.

Great buy btw. Ive had mine for 3 weeks today, and its the best thing Ive ever bought! How much did you get it for?
$399 + shipping. It supposively in great condition with no marks...but I dunno about the tubes.

Damnit, I really wanted to be able to get a Valve Junior just to mess around with, and maybe mod. For $100, you cant go wrong. I guess I could mod the XXX to let me plug it in. Ill have to see how the XXX is for classic rock/clean tones.

Anyway, Im excited. Do you just play yours a bedroom levels? hows it sound? Can it get good crunch and hi gain?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Damn dude, thats an awesome deal on that! I got mine for $650 new. If you go used, I would just change out the tubes as a precaution, because you dont know how the previous owner handled them, and they could have been damaged during the shipping process.

Anyway, if you really want a VJ that bad, you could alway get the combo , and just mod that. I think its the same as the head, just with a speaker and its $40 more.

And about my XXX, yeah, I mainly just play at bedroom volume, and it sounds great, because the majority of the distortion comes from the preamp, so the power amp tubes don't have to be cranked to get a hi-gain tone. If your going any higher than halfway on the volume, you might want to invest in a noise gate, because they have a ton of feedback when cranked. And if you want to hear how my XXX sounds, you can go to my dmusic in my sig, and I have about 5 or 6 clips of different tones I could get out of it. I think I have 2 hi-gain sounds, 1 crunch, and 2 clean settings.

Hoped I helped out some
The seller said that it had never been gigged, only played in the house. Nice playing on Crazy Train! Sounds good.

I want the VJ head cause it looks so damn cool. Ill work something out.

Last question, does the XXX get that Marshall, mids high, crunch?? That is important to me.
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Haha, thanks for the compliment on my playing. I really wouldn't know about the Marshall Crunch, because the only Marshall Ive played extensively was my friends MG. Ive been told that the XXX sounds like a working mans Mesa Recto, so Im not too sure if that will give you a vintage Marshall crunch, but I do know that the XXX is very mid-rangy, so you might be able to. I have some clips in my dmusic with me playing on crunch if you want to hear what a basic crunch would be like from it. I think for those recordings, I had the knobs in the middle, then just moved them a little to get a tone I liked.
Those crunch clips were nice but my preference would be a little more gain, which Im sure the XXX can do.

Thanks for your help!
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X
Quote by AC/zeppelin/DC
Those crunch clips were nice but my preference would be a little more gain, which Im sure the XXX can do.

Thanks for your help!

Where in Ontario are you?

My XXX gets ridiculous gain. If you switch the controls to full gain and full top on the Crunch setting, it's crazy.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Near windsor.

Hows the mid-gain stuff on your XXX? Your crunch and ultra channels have an active EQ whereas only my ultra will have an active EW. Will this make a big difference?
Quote by It'sForTheBest

Quote by SynGates7X