Apologies if this thread doesn't belong here. At a quick glance I couldn't find anywhere else that was more appropriate to place it.

OK, I have a PC. With USB, no firewire. I am looking for a good program to use for recording, as well as a decent interface unit to plug my instruments into the computer.

Apart from recording guitar, bass and vocals (maybe even eventually drums), I'd like the ability to introduce samples into my recordings. A drum machine plugin would be quite useful too. I have in the region of £250 (500USD more or less) that I'm willing to spend on all this.

I've seen programs for sale on their own, interfaces on their own and offers combining the two. I have used some programs before to a small extent, such as a little bit of Cubase, Acid Music and Sonic Forge. The thing is, I'm looking at the catalogues and descriptions of all these things on the net and magazines etc, and I can't translate the technotalk into being able to find out whether or not the gear would suit my needs. I'm not looking for a super professional setup, but I definitely don't want to go for the nastiest cheapest option.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated, especially if you are speaking from experience!
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.
^ i'll suggest what i'm using cuz i'm in the same situation as you .....
fruity loops for drums (its really good once you import some good samples and get used to the setup)

acid is REALLY good for recording

i use a mobile preusb, paid about $175 at guitar center, it gets a good clean sound, the only complaint is that i don't believe its midi compatible.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i'll suggest what i'm using cuz i'm in the same situation as you .....
fruity loops for drums (its really good once you import some good samples and get used to the setup)

acid is REALLY good for recording

i use a mobile preusb, paid about $175 at guitar center, it gets a good clean sound, the only complaint is that i don't believe its midi compatible.

Thanks man!

So let me get this straight... you are using Acid for tracking everything, am I right? What about the actual recording, are you also using Acid? If I wanted to record from the output socket from my amp/POD, at the same time as mic-ing up the amp to get a little more headroom, would Acid still work?

Sorry for the bombardment of questins dude... I'm pretty ignorant of these things!
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.
the ones you mentioned (acid, sonic forge, cubase) are good
if not Adobe Audition is good
Reason is good for electronic stuff

'tis life
Quote by rifftrader
Thanks man!

So let me get this straight... you are using Acid for tracking everything, am I right? What about the actual recording, are you also using Acid? If I wanted to record from the output socket from my amp/POD, at the same time as mic-ing up the amp to get a little more headroom, would Acid still work?

Sorry for the bombardment of questins dude... I'm pretty ignorant of these things!

you are using Acid for tracking everything, am I right? - Yes, that is correct

What about the actual recording, are you also using Acid? - yes acid allows direct in recording with virtually unlimited playback channels (limited by your pc's memory/ram)

If I wanted to record from the output socket from my amp/POD, at the same time as mic-ing up the amp to get a little more headroom, would Acid still work -

this depends on how you want to do it, i believe acid can have simultaneous track recording and i'm pretty sure that the input device i use can do 2 track in simultaneous. i won't swear by it as i do recording 1 track at a time and if i want to have a direct in line and a mic'd line i will record the direct in line, then go back and record the mic'd line, the reason being i can fine tune each track better (as far as volume, tone, eq etc etc).