Here's the deal.. I have narrowed down my selection of amps to either the VOX Valvetronix AD30VT or the Roland Cube 30X.. If I get the roland I have to special order it and I can't return it, but the AD30VT is in stock.. the costs are about the same and I have a 100 gift cert to where I am going to buy it.. I play rock, primarily soft... absolutely no metal, also I'd prefer to make a deicison soon because I have thie amp that came with the shred hed pack, which is quite bad
The problem with the AD30VT is that the stock speaker is ridiculously horrendous and the low end AD series amps are terribly voiced. The first time I played one I was like "wow, this is great! I can't believe this little amp is so good!" Now I never play it. The problem you'll have with the Cube is that its tones aren't exactly "organic." So, it's the choice between "sounds digital" and "crappy speaker."
Hi, I'm Peter
i would reccomend saving a little more and gettin the ad50vt as it has the far superior celestion speaker
MY gear
Vintage v100 les paul.
POS Ion strat
Vox ad50vt
15 watt practice amp
Ibanez rg570
^ But still suffers from the poor voicing problem. The AD50VT is either ridiculously bassy or too thin.
Hi, I'm Peter
lol... i'm so unsure right now it's ridiculous, maybe I should just save up and get a new guitar.. seeing as how I have teh Ibanez shred hed pack
No, I think you're on the right path trying to replace your amp first. My recommendation with people who don't have a lot of money to spend is to look for used. My 2nd amp I bought for about $150, it was a 100 watt Fender M-80 1x12 I found in the paper and was a significant upgrade from the Peavey Blazer 158 I first had.
Hi, I'm Peter
yea, used is a great way to go, other than the gift certificate, how much money do you have/are willing to spend?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I'm willing to spend however much, honestly I am just looking for something that is going to make me happy/not need to be upgraded. I am only playing guitar as a hobby, I don't intend on joining a band or gigging, primarily trying to keep it around 300
and what kind of music are you interested in playing?

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
sounds like a XXX combo may be great for you.

i see them go used for about 4 to 500 used.

but you may not want to spend that much

but great amps that wont be needing an upgrade will be in the price range.

Quote by steven seagull
^ I think he might want an EQ pedal with a XXX, too. They tend to sound scooped.
Quote by Ronisonce
I'm willing to spend however much, honestly I am just looking for something that is going to make me happy/not need to be upgraded. I am only playing guitar as a hobby, I don't intend on joining a band or gigging, primarily trying to keep it around 300

I'm about the same as you and I owe about $5,000 worth of shit, so... No matter what you've got, you'll always want to "upgrade." Such is the way of the electric guitar player.
Hi, I'm Peter
that puts me in a bind kinda, is it really worth it to spend that much on an amp when my guitar is worth like half of that ?
Yes, definitely. When you're talking about inexpensive stuff, it's always worth it to have an amp that's worth more than the guitar, because so much of a guitar's tone is generated by the amp. You'll find that a bad guitar can sound better through a decent amp, but a crappy amp will make the most expensive guitar sound like crap.
Hi, I'm Peter
i put 1200 dollars into my guitar amp, and my most expensive guitar only cost me 400 dollars. but my guitars have always been used, but new, it would have been 750.

but yes, it is worth it.

Quote by steven seagull
about 850

its a 40 watt 1x12 combo

Quote by steven seagull
I unfortunately don't have that much to spend, if I did I would fix my car
^ You live in MA. You should have a Guitar Center or other decent music store within driving distance. Just go try a bunch of amps within a comfortable price range. Crate makes a couple inexpensive tube amps you may be interested in. Peavey makes the Valveking as well, which may be another tube amp you'd like.
Hi, I'm Peter
yea, that's where my gift certificate for 100 is to. I was going to order the roland cube, but now I think i'm going to hold off for a while and just save up I guess