I have been playing violin since i was 8, guitar since i was 14 and keyboard since i was 18. I am 19 now, and I figured that bass was the right way to go. Never really felt anything special for the other instruments. My brother and one of my best friends plays the bass and I have been playing it a slightly little bit over the past couple of years. But now its time to go all the way and purchase a bass. It will be done tomorrow, and I am not asking for help to buy a new bass. I have the theory that you go and try the different bass' and make your choice from what you like the most.

But well that was a lot of gibberish. Anyway I was just looking around and couldn’t find any posts about good things to learn. As I was kinda saying i know my way around a guitar, so I was just wondering what would be a good thing to focus on? Special techniques, scales, rhythms etc. Any sort of help would be great. Btw you all seem kinda pro in this forum compared some of the others, so be gentle on me.
learn loads of slapping and popping
maybe some scales
very low end epiphones arent too bad
play with your fingers, cause your just a crappy guitarist if you use a pick for bass

EDIT: you dont seem like the kind of guy who can stick to 1 hobby
Quote by Jaffaps2
It's meant to reflect Clapton's career, starts off good but then turns into a piece of shit.

The Lord has done mighty things with his right hand
Psalms chapter 118, verse 12
playing with a pick makes u crap... ok tell me why I'm crap I like the sound of a pick so what I can play with my fingers and I don't like it

and to the threadstarter, you can learn slapping and popping, scales,... take a look on http://www.cyberfretbass.com/ for some good lessons
Quote by NoobMuncher3000
BRILLIANT!

Quote by weemansyndrome

(__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Guitarmeister

play with your fingers, cause your just a crappy guitarist if you use a pick for bass

All Bassists should be able to use Fingers and picks. Are Paul Mcartney and Roger Waters Crappy guitarists?

(Well they could be I guess)
I play with both my fingers and a pick, I like the tone a pick gives me though I just like playing with my fingers.

Learn basic scales, and if you want to play interesting bass, look into funk and jazz. Slap and pop is alright, though I'm not as crazy about it as some people are. Learn it if you want, but it's not essential.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
lots of scales, arpeggios etc, and don't allow yourself to use a pick, just learn to play with your fingers. you need to build strength
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
pfft.. You can play with a pick if you want.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Any guitarist can pick up a bass and play it with a pick. Only a bassist will play it with their fingers.
^ Im not a guitarist, I just have finger dyslexia.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
3 finger picking is pretty fun sometimes....makes triplets a hell of alot better sounding and more together

(3 finger picking as in using ur ring finger too)
Play what you want to play, and how you want to play it. If you end up in a band with two guitarists who crank up their volume and their distortion, you pretty much have to play with a pick, just to cut through. Some songs call for fingers, some for pick, some for the thumb.

Just try to have fun, and jam with guys who have more experience than you. You'll be sure to learn more that way.

Quote by Guitarmeister

You're a crappy person.
Quote by Bumper
You're a crappy person.

And close minded as well. .

Learn both, but I would start with fingerstyle. As Dinky said above, they both have their uses and places. And anything that makes you a more versatile player is a good thing.
For shame, bass forum. Everyone knows those fingers vs. picks debates are useless. Cease and desist, for you will be the destruction of us all.

Threadstarter, if you'd like stuff to learn, I suggest taking a little from each genre and practicing it, so you can get a good base on which to improve your skills. Learn a little jazz here, some classic rock here, maybe some metal for taste....Good practice in different genres makes playing interesting, as you can see and feel differences in different styles of music.

Scales are relatively easy on a bass, so practice those if you'd like. Learn the basics of pop and slap, because that's just plain fun. Nevermind whether you use fingers or a pick; build on a style you feel more comfortable with and prefer. Good luck.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I thought playing with a pick was sacreligous when I started out, but when I went back in my book to start reading(my teacher skipped ahead to the thoery) I thought it was a good excuse to use a pick and when I did it really opened up a different sound. I'll probably use one in a couple of songs now with my band. (if we ever get our act together)
And btw, Elithraldor, welcome to the club. We are an rather informed and eclectic bunch and only occasionally get mired "pick vs fingers", "is flea funk" and "gee can I run a bass through a guitar amp" conundrums.

Everyone has given some solid advice on theory etc., and the forum is full of advice for beginners so be sure to use your search function well. Enjoy!
Those who use a pick because they can't play fingerstyle....yes, they are crap. But the people who really prefer the sound of the pick? That's absolutely fine. That said, slapping isn't as crucial to learn. It's important to learn it, but not something you need to master. Slap is tough to pick up, and impressive to watch, as well as fun to play, but I just prefer fingerstyle better. I feel more fluent.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by anarkee
And btw, Elithraldor, welcome to the club. We are an rather informed and eclectic bunch and only occasionally get mired "pick vs fingers", "is flea funk" and "gee can I run a bass through a guitar amp" conundrums.

Everyone has given some solid advice on theory etc., and the forum is full of advice for beginners so be sure to use your search function well. Enjoy!

Speaking of cool threads and good advice what ever happened to the Beggining on Jazz thread? You know the one where me you and elemenohpee just talked about jazz and the occasional visitorwould drop by. That was a good one.
^^So.....by your reasoning anyone who can't do a specific style very well are crap? So, are you equally adept at picking, fingerstyle, tapping, slapping, touchstyle, sweeping, and chording? I guess if you can't do any one of those very well then you must be crap. If someone plays with a pick (for whatever reason) then they play with a pick. End of argument. It doens't make them any less of a bassist in any way.
Please, let us not start another pick vs fingers debate. it's really boring. Those who believe one thing are entitled to believe it. Whether they are right or wrong is irrelevant. They will mature as musicians in good time, and come to realise what rubbish they were talking.

Anyway, if you are already an accomplished musician and you're switching to bass, i suggest you spend a good 6 months learning how to play fingerstyle. it's not the crab like approach like on guitar, you use your index and middle (mainly) in an alternating fashion. You've probably seen it. Anyway, jut cane that for months until you are up to your standard on guitar. Your scales all translate easily to bass, so you have no worries there. Just play it over one octave instead of two.

Then in time you can work on other techniques, like slap, harmonics, tapping, whatever.

But get the basics down. Your fingers will need to time to adjust to the heavier strings.

good luck, and welcome.

peace
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Speaking of cool threads and good advice what ever happened to the Beggining on Jazz thread? You know the one where me you and elemenohpee just talked about jazz and the occasional visitorwould drop by. That was a good one.

Agreed. We should probably get that active again, since there seems to be a few questions as of late regarding jazz playing...
Quote by Crazy Horse
3 finger picking is pretty fun sometimes....makes triplets a hell of alot better sounding and more together

(3 finger picking as in using ur ring finger too)

It only sounds better/more together if you suck really bad at 2 finger work.