Page 1 of 2
a while ago i bought a fender telecster beacuase i liked the neck and the fretboard. the dingle coil pickups are fine but i feel like i need more variety and versatility. I play mainly punk and classic rock and it really seems this guitar is meant for country. It seems like the three way switch doesnt really offer me many options. I have also been experimenting with metal which is really hard to do with single coil pickups. The resail value of the tele is still really high, but i dont really know if I want to part with it. Should I keep it or sell it. and if so what should i get?

[EDIT]
I decided not to sell it its awsome i just was using a crap amp (it didnt have an overdrive switch which is why i thought it could only play country) cuz i was waiting for my good one to come in the mail. But the good one came and i ve discovered that it sounds amazing under distortion and it beats the hell out of my friends ibanez. so you can now stop calling me retarded for thinking about selling it.
Last edited by Fuzzbox91 at Feb 21, 2007,
Keep it and buy another guitar.

It's a known fact that 100% of people that sell their Telecasters, die.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'd say keep it and fatten up the sound with some mini-humbuckers. Like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Lil' 59, or JB.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by JJK
I'd say keep it and fatten up the sound with some mini-humbuckers. Like a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails or Lil' 59, or JB.
+5
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Keep it. I dropped a Hot rails pickup in my tele and it sounds great for metal/modern high gain rock/punk/etc. The cleans on the HR aren't that bad but if i want cleans i switch to the neck pup.
install a 4-way switch?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea your right i picked it out for a reason. I really can't seem to part with the classic tele feel. ans it sound sounds great under distortion so i can use effects to make it sound good or i can install new pickups in the future.
Telecasters are sexy. I'd keep it. Mod it or get another guitar. That's what I'd do.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Keep it... If you can only get a country sound out of a stock Tele, then I don't know what you're doing wrong. I wouldn't swap the pups for any kind of hummers. Part of the Tele magic is its signature sound, which you'll lose if you don't keep it equipped with single coils (or... dingle coils? :p). You say you play classic rock? Guess what- Led Zeppelin I was recoreded with a Telecaster. If you need something for angle-grinder distortion, get another guitar that's meant to sound like that.
don't know about punk but there has been some great classic rock played on stock teles. i have one and while it's not my number one guitar i wouldnt part with it - sounds great played clean for a classic fender sound or muddied up a little with a distortion pedal.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Dave_Mc
install a 4-way switch?

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R_H_C_P

I had to sell my Classic 50's MIM Tele to afford Gary and im not dead....
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Try saying there country to Johnny greenwood/Joe strummer
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Gabel
I had to sell my Classic 50's MIM Tele to afford Gary and im not dead....

Oh...just wait.

*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Keep it. Tele's ****in rock. As far as classic rock goes, you do know that Jimmy Page originally did Dazed & Confused and Stairway to Heaven on his Tele right?
Quote by R_H_C_P

And all the ones that dont....die too.
Zebra! llll llll llll llll llll

Save the Zebra's
Telecasters are more made for rythem guitar, not lead. So ir you're in a band and you are a back-up guitarist a Telecaster is what you want.If you play lead you would be better off with a Strat, but you know just for casual playing a Telecaster is just fine. Anyway all electric guitars sound generally the same you just need a good amp. So if you buy a $75 guitar all you need to do is buy a $3,000 amp and you're set.
Proud member of the Butsecks Militia.
Bend over, pull em down, and prepare to be boarded. Don't be a victim.
Quote by fret wanker
Anyway all electric guitars sound generally the same you just need a good amp..

*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by R_H_C_P

AHAHAHAH That is funny as hell. Yeah keep the tele cause you'll regret it, but pickup a cheap guitar with split coils, one in mind is a esp mh250nt, great "metal" guitar for the price, but can do clean well with the coil tapping. OORRRR, sell the tele and pick up a new PRS 513, I would be envious, but that guitar has more tone than anyother guitar I have ever played in my whole life!
yea i kno thats why i said i dont wanna part with it. I thought teles werre only for lead. I dodnt know that they were actually better for rythym. Thats good cuz rythym is mainly what i play.
Quote by CarbonDeath
AHAHAHAH That is funny as hell. Yeah keep the tele cause you'll regret it, but pickup a cheap guitar with split coils, one in mind is a esp mh250nt, great "metal" guitar for the price, but can do clean well with the coil tapping. OORRRR, sell the tele and pick up a new PRS 513, I would be envious, but that guitar has more tone than anyother guitar I have ever played in my whole life!

Umm you do know that the PRS 513 is like $5000 US?...
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Quote by fret wanker
Telecasters are more made for rythem guitar, not lead. So ir you're in a band and you are a back-up guitarist a Telecaster is what you want.If you play lead you would be better off with a Strat, but you know just for casual playing a Telecaster is just fine.

Uh no, teles are great for lead and rhythm. I'd love to hear why you think a strat is better for lead while a tele is only good for casual playing. Any guitar can be used for anything. Teles aren't made for country, EMGs can be used for stuff other than metal, etc...
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

HAHA, dave +1'd himself. thaTS a first for me.

anyway, like said, mod the guitar. unless u really just dont like it then sell it. (and wait for death.)

but if i was modding it, i would put in a full sized neck humbucker.
ps, ive got rails in my tele.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ I was wondering when someone'd notice.

far as I can tell, a 4-way switch is the handiest thing to do. it links the brige and neck pickups in series, giving something along the lines of a humbucker. extremely cheap mod too. and reversible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sounds simple enough.

+2

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Fuzzbox91
how do you pt a full sized neck humbucker in a tele.

Getting it modded...

OR hollow it out and put one inside, but I dont think it will actually play anything...
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by R_H_C_P

they also all go to hell

EDIT: sorry gabe
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Don't Sell It!
My newbie stuff:

Ashton Acoustic (forgot model :P)
Squier Stratocaster
Fender Frontman 15R

-

Saving up for...

Vox Valvetronix ADVT50
Boss D-2 Pedal
Les Paul Studio (Wine Red)
at all of these replies, hilarious!

I say keep it, you'll regret it sooner or later. Trust me.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Fuzzbox91
how do you pt a full sized neck humbucker in a tele.

take off the guard, and route out some of the wood so a humbucker fits.
then put on a tele H guard.

there's already a bunch of room under mine. id only have to cut a few times with a drill.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by fret wanker
Telecasters are more made for rythem guitar, not lead. So ir you're in a band and you are a back-up guitarist a Telecaster is what you want.If you play lead you would be better off with a Strat, but you know just for casual playing a Telecaster is just fine. Anyway all electric guitars sound generally the same you just need a good amp. So if you buy a $75 guitar all you need to do is buy a $3,000 amp and you're set.

Wow, that whole post was completely wrong. Almost every sentence was retarded! That's an accomplishment.
no
i dont really wanna screw with it though. Its an h1 tele and t cost a lot (700. which is a lot for me) so i dont wanna accidentily screw it up
if u dont want to mod it. and arent happy with how it is now. then i think u know what to do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Fuzzbox91
a while ago i bought a fender telecster beacuase i liked the neck and the fretboard. the dingle coil pickups are fine but i feel like i need more variety and versatility. I play mainly punk and classic rock and it really seems this guitar is meant for country. It seems like the three way switch doesnt really offer me many options. I have also been experimenting with metal which is really hard to do with single coil pickups. The resail value of the tele is still really high, but i dont really know if I want to part with it. Should I keep it or sell it. and if so what should i get?

My view:
1) "dingle coil" pickups don't exist
2) The singles that are in there are actually quite versatile, be fearless with the tone knob!!
3) if this doesn't work, remove one of the pickups and replace it with a humbucker of some kind. Lately I've liked Seymour Duncan Mini-Buckers(similar to the pickups in firebirds, just seymourized) in the neck position or Dimarzio chopper T's in the bridge. Replacing the tone knob with a 500k or a stepped knob genrally helps with this mod.
4) Telecasters are great guitars and without mods can easily pull off anything short of Metallica circa the Black Album. Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend and Johnny Greenwood are all in the church of tele. As is John 5. Those are pretty impressive bedfellows for the average player, and none of them are very "country" in the traditional sense of the word.

Go wild bro!
Page 1 of 2