after buying a light to heavy set of strings by roto sound called roto blues i have been having trouble restringing my sratocaster, the guy at the shop said it needed another spring so i tried adding another spring next to the rest but dont exactly know where to put, to add further problems i can get my guitar in tune with the bridge high and sticking up but cant with it low i tightened the long screws by the springs to make the bridge lower and more horizontal which worked but my srat becomes very hard to tune, help please
I had also that problem with my ibanez stratocaster thinge. If got your guitar on the back there is a uhm.., plate or something screw it lose and put another spring on it. If you are a beginner an this is the first time, just go to the shop and let them do it. Or go to an experienced person maybe your guitar teacher. Then your tremelo is stuck so that won't bother you.
But the next problem was the thuning. Its riskey to play on thick strings, because the break faster in standard tuning, and your neck will bend. Your have to adjust your guitar to somekind of tuning and string thickness. Adjusting is bether to let the shop do it, cause it could get wrong.
I recommend to always (if you are a beginner) lock your tremelo, and go to thick strings, but not tho thick. 011-049 is just great, thats al I have to say.

Greetz Tias

don't complain about my english, cause I am Dutch =D
How are your springs arranged? There's usually 5 spots for the springs to go, most people only have 3.

EDIT: Are you tuning to standard with strings that thick?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yeh i am tunning to standard with strings that thick and yes i have 5 slots one in the middle straight nd two strings either side on angles
Okay, get an extra spring, maybe get two just in case, and arrange them with two on each side, and no spring in the middle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Heavy strings breaking in standard tuning? Hmmm all my experiences with heavy strings have increased my strings life but maybe its just me, i used DR pure blues 12 gauge strings. But as its been said just pop in more springs in the back and tighten up the two screws in the back of the guitar. You might have to adjust you intonation but i never did and didnt notice my neck bend too much
I have 12s in my strat and it's fine in standard. I put 2 more springs in though. It's not hard to do at all, you just need to be able to stretch the spring with your hand good enough to get it in place. Just put the new spring(s) in just like the others are. There's probably 2 more spots for them. Good luck!
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
I use 10-52's (the real mans gauge) and I just blocked my trem off. Works fine for me
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yeh i have exactly the same how do you block the trem off and what does that even mean? any problems with indentations on the nut?
Read about halfway down this page.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."