I'm about to take a jump and purchase my first Fender Strat. I love the tone. Period.

Butttttttt, I'm gonna need some advice. On previous Strat's I've played, I've found the neck is a little uncomfortable for me. I currently play a Schecter C-1 Classic and if anyone knows it, they know the smooth, slim necks. I'm interested in finding a Strat with the same slim feel. What would that be called?

I'm a big fan of that edgy, typical strat sound. What kind of pickups should I go with?
HSS, SSS, HHH, etc...?

I'll be using this guitar for funk, reggae, RHCP-ish shtuff, maybe some Nirvana... you know, the genre's where the really thick distortion and hard rock feel isn't needed (I'll save that for the C-1)

I've seen some signature models that look nice... but I have no clue how they sound. Any advice on that front?

And finally, I like to show off my guitars. I have an Ovation 1771LX in Cherry Red and the C-1 in Trans Blue. I've gotten numerous compliments on both... so whichever strat comes out must be able to look sexy. I can always change it... but it'd be better to get it made that way.

So uhh... yeah lol. Help?
well if you want a typical strat with the strat tone go with an SSS strat in tobacco burst is probably the best looking strat next to white ones
Just go out and play every single strat you can, you seem picky so that's the best way.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
well if you want a typical strat with the strat tone go with an SSS strat in tobacco burst is probably the best looking strat next to white ones

Funny you say that. I was actually looking for a white one to complement my red and blue guitars. Get it? lol red white and blue!
How much are you willing to spend?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Buy another amp for those tones first. Then get a customshop strat built just for you.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Strat necks vary quite a lot, older ones have a 7 inch radius, newer ones have 9 1/2 inch ones. Plus, you can get necks in all sorts of profiles, from V to C. So there's quite a range of necks, is what I'm getting at. Try a few out.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
A better amp for those tones. Probbaly something like a Marshall Plexi.

Yeah I've been wondering what the differences between the necks were. They say 50's neck, 60's, etc etc. So they're just differences in width? Ok, I'll have to play each and see which is the most comfortable. And what would be the difference between a V neck and a C neck?
Get Eric Johnon's strat. I hear it's totally worth getting.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if you're not playing straight up blues, u might want some versatility in sound...
cuz u never know when u'll start wanting to play hard rock or sumtin.
so i say go for the HSS. btw, i got an SSS strat and i love it.
u can always take out the humbucker and replace it with w/e.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Nah, I've got my Schecter which I love for anything remotely heavy. I'll be using the Strat for the non-hard stuff.
I second going to a store and trying a bunch of strats out. That's what I did, and I love my mexican white SSS strat.
i get more complements on my mexican strat than my $1200 peavey. all strats are sexy.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by DingoDance
Yeah I've been wondering what the differences between the necks were. They say 50's neck, 60's, etc etc. So they're just differences in width? Ok, I'll have to play each and see which is the most comfortable. And what would be the difference between a V neck and a C neck?

Width and radius aren't exactly the same, but basically - yeah. Fretboards with a higher radius tend to be easier to do bends on, hence Fender changing to the slightly easier 9 1/2 inch boards.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Thing is with Fenders, particularly Mexicans, there's alot of variation from guitar to guitar. You might love how one plays then hate another. It's really a case of getting out there and playing ALOT till you find one which you love.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Width and radius aren't exactly the same, but basically - yeah. Fretboards with a higher radius tend to be easier to do bends on, hence Fender changing to the slightly easier 9 1/2 inch boards.

I didn't say they were. But while we're on it, what do you mean by radius? From the curved portion of the bottom?

And what is the difference between a V neck and a C neck? More importantly... what are they?
the best strat i ever played was a stevie ray vaughn signature model through a fender blues amp...the best tone i ever had(in guitar center of course)
Quote by DingoDance
I didn't say they were. But while we're on it, what do you mean by radius? From the curved portion of the bottom?

And what is the difference between a V neck and a C neck? More importantly... what are they?

No, the radius is to do with the curve of the fretboard. Imagine if the slight curve of the fretboard went right round and formed a whole circle; that circle's radius would be 9 1/2 inches. I hope I explained that right

The V/C thing refers to the shape of the neck. V shaped necks are 'deeper' whereas the 'C's are 'shallower'. You also get Ds and Us, which refer to other depths of neck. There's never been an official classification of depth though, so you get all sorts of in-betweeny ones, like shallow Vs and deep Cs. It's largely down to feel, just check a few out!

Ah gotcha gotcha! I'll have to experiment around and see what feels good.

lol And yeah, I meant that by the curved bottom. I guess I didn't explain it well enough haha.

So far, the best looking one to me is that '69 Strat NOS I saw earlier. I've actually gotten a chance to play a couple mentioned, and I'm liking that one alot. I don't want to make any choices yet though. I'm hoping GuitarCenter carries the Eric Johnson strat so I can see why everyone loves it
Cool. Good luck finding one that suits you! Also, Strats are easy as f*ck to mod, so if there's one tiny thing you don't like you can probably do something about it.

Quote by DingoDance

I'm a big fan of that edgy, typical strat sound. What kind of pickups should I go with?
HSS, SSS, HHH, etc...?

So uhh... yeah lol. Help?

ZOMG! HHH START FTW!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Woogles forgot to take his pills, ignore him. get SSS.

SSS, your schecter ( just like mine ) will probably do anything the humbucker on a strat would do but better
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic