Page 1 of 2
So now that Windows Vista has officially been released today, what do you guys think of it?

http://www.microsoft.com/events/executives/billgates.mspx

watch the webcast to see what its all about.
Last edited by Gofishus at Jan 30, 2007,
I think OS X is still better
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
dunno aint got it.
Quote by the dave
hahahahahahaha I laughed so hard I shat a little

truthfully OS X IS 99999999999999 time better because windows vista has 2 many holes in it
P.L.U.R.

We'll choke on our vomit and that will be the end

We were fated to pretend
Quote by punkrocker10115
truthfully OS X IS 99999999999999 time better because windows vista has 2 many holes in it
Well done, it's brand new.

It's ok. It's just XP with an updated GUI.
Quote by punkrocker10115

Well it will obviously take some time to perfect. No matter how much you test it, most of the errors/bugs/glitches will be found by everyday people.

Personally I'm not going to get it until a Vista 2 or something comes out. And I also heard you need to have a good computer to run it which I don't.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Well done, it's brand new.

It's ok. It's just XP with an updated GUI.

it is brand new, which means quite a lot can be excused

but what about all the other microsoft products and thier massive ability to fail, even though they have been on the market for years?

i cant help but detect a trend here.
Quote by lukephillips000
it is brand new, which means quite a lot can be excused

but what about all the other microsoft products and thier massive ability to fail, even though they have been on the market for years?

i cant help but detect a trend here.

Yeah microsoft sucks, yet almost everyone uses it so whatever.
i still dont know what so good about it

what does it do?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Zar Mulix
Yeah most users that have microsoft are actually computer-noobs

There, I fixed it. I've always been running on microsoft and I almost never had any problems with it (nothing is perfect heh). Also many people I know that are better than me with computers have microsoft. By the time you have a reliable machine, any O.S. will work. Altough I will agree that windows millenium blows big time.
Don't you mean a upgrade which means you need to download 3948038490328084343432344 drivers for each program, only for it not to work afterwards too, flashy new icons and clogs up most of your ram...

For all of that, its programming to be better at muti tasking ain't worth it.
Quote by Zar Mulix
Yeah microsoft sucks, yet almost everyone uses it so whatever.

That's because they assossiate themselves with everything.

I love the new mac adverts. I watched all three on www.myspace.com, its genius. XP is fine, it's just mac is slightly better. Mircosoft don't suck as bad as people exagguate.
Linux will always be the better kernel. Open source > All other software.

You can't disagree with that. Open source code guarantees that all bugs will get recognized and fixed, because anyone can edit the code and submit it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i'm a mac user but i hope all the mac fanboys don't come on here with their 'OMFG OSX PWNzZ j0o!!!11!!' . obviously i'm gonna be slightly biased but i think vista is just the next patch to XP. it'll take them at the very least a year to iron out most of the bugs in it, by which point OSX jaguar will be out, which looks like it'll make vista look silly in comparison. it should keep the windows geeks happy for a bit though so let them have their fun
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Quote by myself101
i still dont know what so good about it

what does it do?
It'll have DX 10, and it looks kinda nice.

That's really all there is.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
It'll have DX 10, and it looks kinda nice.

That's really all there is.

i really have no idea what DX 10

im a big computer n00b
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
dammit i just got used to vista.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
well

vista is not any better than XP

heck even office 07 is more expensive
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
Quote by Muphin
Linux will always be the better kernel. Open source > All other software.

This is true.
Quote by JMack
i didnt get my first erection until i was 17.

what a queerbait

Founder of the "I got my first erection before I was 17 club."

PM me to join
Quote by punkrocker10115

OS X is a security nightmare, so don't even start with that crap.

Vista has a lot of security mechanisms in place that OSX doesn't have, not to mention Microsofts ability to respond and deal with issues is far superior to Apple's (Going by previous incidents).

Here is a good chart I found, the only error is that OSX has non-executable stacks now (from what I am told).

Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jan 30, 2007,
Quote by LordSephiroth
OS X is a security nightmare, so don't even start with that crap.

Vista has a lot of security mechanisms in place that OSX doesn't have, not to mention Microsofts ability to respond and deal with issues is far superior to Apple's (Going by previous incidents).

Here is a good chart I found, the only error is that OSX has non-executable stacks now.

EXE/DLL Randomization? OSX doesn't use .exe binaries or data linking libraries.

I've never used OSX on any of my own machines so I can't defend it, but when it comes to security I am sure that Microsoft products are crap. Why can't they adopt the super-user method. You know, users run programs as a user, and if they want to even touch files outside their home directory they must be logged in as root or super user. That way viruses and adware can't harm your system, just the user.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
oh and I would like to note that I don't advocate switching to Vista right now. The benefits of using XP still outweigh the benefits of using Vista, in my opinion.

If you can afford to move over (IE your hardware can handle it) then in a few months, it may be worth it, however right now there are no real major benefits that I've seen for switching.
Quote by LordSephiroth
oh and I would like to note that I don't advocate switching to Vista right now. The benefits of using XP still outweigh the benefits of using Vista, in my opinion.

If you can afford to move over (IE your hardware can handle it) then in a few months, it may be worth it, however right now there are no real major benefits that I've seen for switching.

Which makes people ask, why release it if there are no benefits?
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I use on my home desktop PC, and although it's not a massive jump from XP, its nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. The one thing i will say though, is that XP will probably come down in price, shortly after vistas release, so i might try and nab a cheap copy of XP pro
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
Quote by Muphin
EXE/DLL Randomization? OSX doesn't use .exe binaries or data linking libraries.

I've never used OSX on any of my own machines so I can't defend it, but when it comes to security I am sure that Microsoft products are crap. Why can't they adopt the super-user method. You know, users run programs as a user, and if they want to even touch files outside their home directory they must be logged in as root or super user. That way viruses and adware can't harm your system, just the user.

yea, I know. I admit that including that was kindof dumb, the presentation didn't clarify about whether or not that was executables and libraries across the board or just .exe/.dll.

You can operate in Windows under a limited account, and I would highly encourage anyone using Windows to do so, however that definitely doesn't stop virii from harming your system (in any operating systems). Depending on what the virus is, all it takes is the exploitation of a privilege escalation of some sort and they have full access to your system.

Quote by Muphin
Which makes people ask, why release it if there are no benefits?

I said there are no major benefits right now, not all together. There are a number of benefits to using Vista over XP, however its not worth the cost of upgrading your hardware at this moment.

EDIT: sorry, I just realized I didn't clarify :/
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jan 30, 2007,
Tom Delonge is so anti-conformist that he's singing for a Microsoft exhibition.

Christ, I have no idea why I used to listen to Blink 182. He can't sing for shit.

As for Vista, I think it looks pretty decent. Although the GUI just seems slightly pointless and is overcomplicated.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
Tom Delonge is so anti-conformist that he's singing for a Microsoft exhibition.

Christ, I have no idea why I used to listen to Blink 182. He can't sing for shit.

As for Vista, I think it looks pretty decent. Although the GUI just seems slightly pointless and is overcomplicated.

i like blink 182
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
i like blink 182

I used to worship 'em. It's apparent now that DeLonge has absolutely no talent.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Smokey Amp
I used to worship 'em. It's apparent now that DeLonge has absolutely no talent.

It was always apparent. I can't stand his whiney voice. Doesn't go well with the 3 chords he knows.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Dirge Humani
Meh, Vista doesn't look that great. If I wanted to play amazing looking games, I would buy a new graphics card, get ultimate vista, and use DX10 to its full advantage. But...that would be really expensive...fucking Bill Gates thinks everyone is made of money...*mumble*...

[/rant]

You could get openGL for free
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
It was always apparent. I can't stand his whiney voice. Doesn't go well with the 3 chords he knows.

*four actually and i always liked hoppus better anyway because i play bass
<//////>~
Quote by Dirge Humani
But that would require effort and time, two other things I don't have.

But I'll remember that...what exactly is it?

It does what Direct3D does, but it's faster and free.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
The only reason I've ever felt the need to upgrade an OS is for compatibility;

When a new OS comes out, more software/games are developed for it and older OS's are forgotten.

I can operate XP just fine. I don't need to have extra user-friendly features, or flashy menues, or quirky desktop displays. As far as I'm concerned, the OS is a platform from which to run other programs; if it doesn't deliver something that'd change the way we all used PC's, I won't buy it

Until I can't use the latest version of MAYA on XP
Page 1 of 2