ok its a bit of a daft question but i am hearing at the end of a lot of songs the guitarist will let the final note ring... fair enough but it then changes pitch really suddenly and goes into a high pitched ringing noise. Just wondering how it is acheived, i thought it was just a slight harmonic but played at high volume but i would like to ask the experts.

Thanks in advance
its just feedback usually, you just need to add alot of gain. Depeding on your amp you might not be able to make this sound if you cant add enough gain

edit: o yea, or just cause a pinch harmonic by gently touching your thump to the string at the point you normally would to do a pinch harmonic, just don't do it till you want the note to go high.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory
Err, Pinch Harmonic, with a trem, and pull up on the trem instead of pushing down, I've seen Alexi Laiho do it, so maybe that's it,? But Prolly not.
your probably right, i only use a small 15w roland cube, as you can probably tell i am a beginner so i'm not going to delve into big fancy tube amps just yet but thanks. Is it just from the amp or would more gain through a pedal work better?

cheers
yea a pedal would work as well. and you will spend less on a nice distortion pedal to make the sound than you would a more powerful amp. Also a pedal sounds alot nicer than overdrive on a 15 watt amp. I used to have a 10 watt amp, i have no idea how i was satisfied before i got my multi-fx pedal, because the overdrive on taht tiny thing sounded like nothing but light crunch.
Fender CD-110E Acoustic Electric
Ibanez RG350DX

Crate GT30
Zoom 505 II
Digitech Df-7 Distortion Factory