Hey I've been learning some of the solos to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get Dave Gilmour's kind of sound?
http://cgi.ebay.com/EMG-DG20-DG-20-DG-20-Dave-Gilmour-Pro-Series-Pickups_W0QQitemZ130074446943QQihZ003QQcategoryZ41424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this would help.
Other then that, i use a slight delay and a touch of corus. lots of it comes from his playing too.
wish i had the money for his pickups though
A single coil Strat should allow you to access his general tone. If you are looking for the early Floyd sound, stock Fender pickups should be fine. If you're more into into 80's/90's stuff, look into EMG singles.

David's two main guitars were a black 1970 Strat and a red '57 Reissue made around 1984. Check out this website for more info on his amps and effects: http://www.gilmourish.com/

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jan 30, 2007,
dude ive been looking for those forever!!!
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

EMGs...hmm...I don't know. Gilmour doesn't even use those anymore. He uses his old blackie Strat with old Strat pickups, wound a specific way, supposedly. I'd go with a Classic 70's or Classic 50's Strat if you want a guitar to sound like Gilmour. Go here for more info:

www.gilmourish.com
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by JJK
EMGs...hmm...I don't know. Gilmour doesn't even use those anymore. He uses his old blackie Strat with old Strat pickups, wound a specific way, supposedly. I'd go with a Classic 70's or Classic 50's Strat if you want a guitar to sound like Gilmour. Go here for more info:

www.gilmourish.com
I thought Blackie was Eric Clapton?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
without buying new equipment, here are my suggestions for a gilmour tone from comfortably numb.

Solos
Neck pickup, roll back the tone controls to get more of a silky sound without irritating high end. Bring up the distortion considerably as well as the volume. controls on the amp: Bass 2-3 o clock, mids 12 o clock, highs 1-2 o clock. Give yourself plenty of reverb and a tiny bit of delay to fill out the sound. For the second solo, give yourself back some of the highs you cut with the guitar tone knobs to make it more aggressive.

Clean guitar
With a good tube amp and guitar you can get the clean tone just by dialing in the solo tone, then rolling way back on the volume. This will make the tone cleaner and reduce the volume to automatically give you a boost for solos. Otherwise, you want a clean with a touch of reverb, some compression and plenty of lows and highs. You want it to really sparkle.
Quote by SupremeACL
I thought Blackie was Eric Clapton?

Well yeah, but Gilmour has an all black Strat too. It has a black pickguard and black body.

But I think you'd be disappointed in the DG EMG's. They really won't get you a vintage sound, they're too modern sounding.

Also DG uses the bridge pickup alot.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Gilmour is quoted as saying (somewhere I can't remember) that he only used the EMG SAs live because with the interference from Floyd's lighting system he ended up with a lot of hum and had to do all he could to cut down.
he did for years and years, but in the last 4 or so years the wiring for lights and rigs has been improved enough that he went back to his original single coils.