Well im after a 30 watt tube amp for classic rock/indie type not too heavy stuff. I play very high bass midy lots of sustain type stuff, type of like a wolfmother type tone. Neway im lookin for somethin i can crank, still get those lovely harmonics etc but not be too loud so 30 watts seem to be the way to go. Cleans obviously need to be good but distortion is more important really. Also darker amps the better, trebly amps get on my nerves...... Id definitely be buying used, since you get much more amp for your money, so ebay seems like a good choice. Id like to go combo, since i want somethin that dont break my back, but a head then a 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 cab would be doable i suppose

Thanks Ugers!!!

Edit: Budged 400 pound max and i need footswitchable channels, or atleast footswitchable gain.
Last edited by mehjoe at Jan 30, 2007,
A 30 watt tube combo won't get you much. A drummer will drown that out the second he starts playing. I would recommend either getting a large 2X12 tube combo or a TUBE head, and finding the cash for a cabinet. Tube head perferably because then to upgrade just change your cabs and speakers.
30 watts tube is pretty loud. You should be able to play over a drummer with 30 watts tube.
I have a 40 watt tube with which I use on volume level 3 out of 12 (or less) when I play with a drummer.
Quote by whitebluesboy
A 30 watt tube combo won't get you much. A drummer will drown that out the second he starts playing. I would recommend either getting a large 2X12 tube combo or a TUBE head, and finding the cash for a cabinet. Tube head perferably because then to upgrade just change your cabs and speakers.

Uhm, 30 watt tube combo would get you more than much. 30 watt tubes can get LOUD.

Look at the Orange Rocker 30 combo.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by mehjoe
I would, sept there HARd to find used Im uk btw

Really? Orange Rocker 30s in the UK should be VERY easy to find, especially used... I mean, they're harder to find in American than they are in the UK. Orange is made in the UK.

You've tried eBay, right?
Sent from my iPad.
laney vc30 would be worth a look. vox ac30 too, and that orange...

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
errrr 400 quid is my limit i suppose, thats used amps only really.
Quote by whitebluesboy

15 watts with a tube combo is enough to play over a drummer, in most cases.
An Orange sounds pretty much perfect for you, try a few out like the Rocker 30 and the AD30.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Blues Deluxe?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
errrr 400 quid is my limit i suppose, thats used amps only really.

The Laney VC30 is under that new...also if you like darker amps look at the Ashdown Fallen Angel, again well under budget (and there's a 40 watt model that's even cheaper) - the 60 watter was £500 in 5 months ago. There's no point insisting on buying used if you can get something that more than does the job new and still under budget.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14397
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i know but i want something to feel like an investment to justifiy me spending this amount of money. Something that i buy used and then sell and that will not lose its value, whereas i buy new as soon as i plug in i lose 100 quid :S
Quote by Andysf
Peavey Classic 30

Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by whitebluesboy
A 30 watt tube combo won't get you much. A drummer will drown that out the second he starts playing.

Really?

See, I was playing last Friday, band practise and I was loud enough for the drummer to hear with my 30 Watt Tube Amp...my volume was on 3.

I hear the cheap Laney 30 Watt Combo's are good
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
kura out of interest you dont reccomend the orange rocker when you own one???
Quote by mehjoe
kura out of interest you dont reccomend the orange rocker when you own one???

Oh I totally recommend one mate. I just thought that you had a budget of 400 which is obviously quite a bit short of the Orange Rocker.

If you can get one though mate, seriously, take it. They're amazing amps
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

ive seen a few go for around 400 ebay wise.

there onlly around 530 new? (ebay anyway)

IM AN EBAY ADDICT O.O
Hahaha, yeah, the RRP is somewhere up at about 750 I think, which means about 650-700 in shops.

You will, like you say, find some cheap places. Like GAK sells them for about 540.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by steven seagull
The Laney VC30 is under that new...also if you like darker amps look at the Ashdown Fallen Angel, again well under budget (and there's a 40 watt model that's even cheaper) - the 60 watter was £500 in 5 months ago. There's no point insisting on buying used if you can get something that more than does the job new and still under budget.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14397

agreed.

unless you can get something that's even more kickass second-hand.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i will probs wait for an orange to come up used They look the she SHEXXXXXXX and if i can get for 400 il deffo go for, if not itll be classic 30 or lc 30 probs.

btw one question, ive been lookin on ebay and the classic 50s are goin less than the classic 30s in a lot of questions. how come?! it seems a bit strange..
No one no? Poor joe, all inknowledgable <<<< Is that a word :S
From your description in the first post a laney lc-30 would suit you more than a vc30. It's got a darker sound and is a bit more rock orientated.
...Bleep Bloop...
oooooh, if you dont like trebly amps, a used dsl401 by marshall will suit you pretty well, yeah its dark and pretty bassy, with some high gain aswell. You can get these for like under £400 used on good ol' ebay
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

^ you can get a dsl401 for less than £400 new... i'd also say it's pretty bright. likewise, I'd say the lc 30 is brighter than the vc30...

i guess everyone has different ears to me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ooo ooo oooo conflicting opinoins!!! well i dont know, id rather go orange but il go for whatever comes up out of the lc 30 and a vc30 I have a bludy amazingly bright amp, some ss/tube hybrid fender thing from 60s which my settings are treble 0 bass 10 mid 9 O.o and its still a bit too trebly
^ heh. yeah, you really need to try them to make your own mind up.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ooo ooo oooo conflicting opinoins!!! well i dont know, id rather go orange but il go for whatever comes up out of the lc 30 and a vc30 I have a bludy amazingly bright amp, some ss/tube hybrid fender thing from 60s which my settings are treble 0 bass 10 mid 9 O.o and its still a bit too trebly

that's a bit mental that is! I have the bass set to about 2 on my Ashdown, anything more than that and it starts to get silly. Just to give you an idea of how much bass response you get from it, the word I like to use is "endless".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
£300 - Ashdown Fallen Angel. 40 watt, all tube amp. Its got lots of bass, and good mids. The effects could be better, but that's what pedals are for. It can do good cleans, to a full on nu-metal kinda sound. Does everything in between
Thanks everyone for alll the great advice Your all so lovely and helpfull.
Seriously, look more into Oranges, I have a new found love for them, so should you.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30