Right. I'm looking for an all-tube amp that can do band practice and small-to-middlin size gigs. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, there's all kinds of amps that can do that. However, my tonal needs are a bit all over the place. First off, I want a really nice clean tone, similar to Hendrix in The Wind Cries Mary. Second, I want a real bluesy tone, slightly overdriven but not much. Then a more classic rock, Jimmy Page sorta tone. And finally, a really smooth, pretty distorted lead tone. Price range isn't too much of a question right now, but try to keep under $1000 USD. So there you have it. UGers, is there an amp that's right for me?
I think your best bet for an amp would be a fender amp such as the hotrod series with an overdrive pedal infront of it such as a tubescreamer. I think that would suit what your looking for quite well.
I'd say a Peavey Classic 50 with a nice overdrive pedal would be amazing.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
maybe a marshall. used if price is too high. hendrix and page both used them. im looking at one myself. the 1987x. and if the distortion isnt heavy enough for you, an overdrive will make it get heavy enough
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
maybe a marshall. used if price is too high. hendrix and page both used them. im looking at one myself. the 1987x. and if the distortion isnt heavy enough for you, an overdrive will make it get heavy enough

Yep, I was thinking a vintage Marshall. The only worry I had was if a higher-gain one, i.e. JCM 800, would do the blues and Hendrix stuff as well.
Quote by mentalwarfare
I think your best bet for an amp would be a fender amp such as the hotrod series with an overdrive pedal infront of it such as a tubescreamer. I think that would suit what your looking for quite well.

I was thinking that, too. Problem is, which one? Marshall or Fender?
are you willing to go over $1000?

if you are, take a look at an engl screamer. if not, I'd seriously consider traynors...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^Well, either way I'm going to have to save for a bit. If I could scrounge the money, I'd look at a Screamer. Otherwise, I'm gonna consider a Marshall.
^ I'd have thought a traynor would do it better than a (modern) marshall. if you can find a vintage one under budget, though, go for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You mean a modern Marshall as in a JCM 2000 type thing, or a modern Marshall as in the vintage reissues?
Coke, havn't you already tried the 800 and liked it? I say check that out and see for yourself if it can suite your special needs .

Other than that, traynors, vox's (not sure if they can give you a high lead tone).

Oh and also...

I found someone that wants to sell me their jcm 800 combo for 800 USD.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
I found someone that wants to sell me their jcm 800 combo for 800 USD.

Lucky.

Anyhoo, I really liked the distortion on the JCM 800, but I wasn't as sure about the blues/cleaner sounds. I'ma try that again next time I'm at the shop, though.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Lucky.

Anyhoo, I really liked the distortion on the JCM 800, but I wasn't as sure about the blues/cleaner sounds. I'ma try that again next time I'm at the shop, though.

Alright, well, good luck to you finding YOUR amp. . Although you need to try it out yourself, check out the marshall chart that's on these forums somewhere. Apparently Gooch and some other people here say that marshalls have nice clean tones.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
A really nice clean tone, similar to Hendrix in The Wind Cries Mary and you want to play blues. A Fender Deluxe Reverb with a fuzz pedal set low.
Get yourself an Orange Rocker series amp mate. They tick all those boxes.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^Seconded, I say an Orange Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50 combo.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Indeed, an Orange could do what you wanted. Try a few out, great amps.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by cokeisbetter
You mean a modern Marshall as in a JCM 2000 type thing, or a modern Marshall as in the vintage reissues?

by modern I mean the jcm2000's. I haven't tried the vintage reissues...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R_H_C_P
Indeed, an Orange could do what you wanted. Try a few out, great amps.

One problem: I'm in the States, and I haven't seen any in the local guitar stores here.
*Points and laughs*

...Sorry. Try and find dealers in the US on the Orange website maybe?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The only thing about the Rockerverb cleans is that it is just that "clean". Orange prides themselves in the fact that the cleans are undistortable. This might pose a problem for the bluesy cleans. I say an AD30TC if you are going the Orange route. Vintage JMP's go for around a thousand on ebay if you have a cab, already.
^ ?

it seemed to be breaking up on me once the volume hit about half-way up...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you want a cleaner blues tone, you can use the dirty channel and roll back the gain.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by R_H_C_P
*Points and laughs*

...Sorry. Try and find dealers in the US on the Orange website maybe?

I just found out the House Of Guitars is a full Orange Dealer! Yeah! I'ma go there now.
Im going to be a broken record here,

Orange..

Orange..

Orange..

Orange..

And wait, House of Guitars, near you? where do you live?

Cus I am like, close-ih, its where i got my SG...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Jan 31, 2007,
im in the boat of orange dealers hard to come by unless i want to take the train all the way to almost long island or buy from a store that is selling them at high rates.
Quote by SGKIDD
Im going to be a broken record here,

Orange..

Orange..

Orange..

Orange..

And wait, House of Guitars, near you? where do you live?

Cus I am like, close-ih, its where i got my SG...

In Pittsford, right outside of Rochester. We have a reputation for being downright snobbish, not to mention rich, but I'm really not.
Oh lol

well im from Ithaca, bit south east... but hog is the best place to try amps imo, they have sooo many.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ ?

it seemed to be breaking up on me once the volume hit about half-way up...

It didn't have much break up when I tried it, but I didn't crank it half way. I'm just going on what I found out throught my experience. Not many people crank that much, but I still stand corrected.
I crank my Carvin X-100B to about 2 before its unberable...

and my Mesa Triple Recto, never even gets past nine o clock practicing, with the channel volumes near pegged clen, channel two vintage noon, and channel three modern i get my master to about... oh maybe ten before its to earsplitting to bear..
Mail Goes here.

I cranked my GH100L to 7 and a half once. That was loud. Yet sexy at the same time...
Try em out yet, coke?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by metallicaman80
It didn't have much break up when I tried it, but I didn't crank it half way. I'm just going on what I found out throught my experience. Not many people crank that much, but I still stand corrected.

heh, i didn't think that was that loud. That was in a shop, lol, not even in a sound-proof booth (it was the 30 watter).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yo coke (peter) last time i checked theres a used jcm 800 for like $800 at our guitar center
it could be gone by now tho
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Quote by ledzep1023
yo coke (peter) last time i checked theres a used jcm 800 for like $800 at our guitar center
it could be gone by now tho

I swear coke..if you buy that...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by cokeisbetter
Well you live in Hawaii, it's not like it would make a difference to you.

I'm going to get the amp before you shall.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R