I have a 50w tube head, however I just realized that due to a miscomunication the cab I ordered is rated at 100w. Do I run a risk of blowing anything in my head, or will it just not be as loud as if I had 100w of power?

Thanks
No no, that's not a problem at all; the vast majority of people have cabs rated higher than their heads. It's a problem if your head is higher wattage than your cab, because you could blow your speakers, but unless you want speaker distortion, a cab of a higher wattage than your head is ideal.
no there is no problem or risk whatsoever. your head wont sound any different really.
your cab is rated at 100watts, its over what your head is rated at which is good. it doesnt effect the volum at all really. 50watts is huge especially tube.

anyway, its fine its only a problem if your head is more watts than your cab, then you run a risk of blowing out the speakers.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Quote by flyingv_m3
no there is no problem or risk whatsoever. your head wont sound any different really.
your cab is rated at 100watts, its over what your head is rated at which is good. it doesnt effect the volum at all really. 50watts is huge especially tube.

anyway, its fine its only a problem if your head is more watts than your cab, then you run a risk of blowing out the speakers.

First off, thanks to both of you, and second, so the only difference is it wount be as loud right? Because if the speakers are designed to run of 100w i was wondering if the quality would go down?

Also the power amp part of the head is tube. The pre-amp is not. So I dont know if I can actually call my head a tube head, I dont know if it would sound more like solid state or tube?
Nah, the 100w rating is the maximum power rating the speakers can handle (well, it can exceed that but then you get into speaker distortion and stuff). The cab rating won't inherently affect the sound quality-that depends on the quality of the speakers. As the other posters have said, you want the cab rating to be higher than the amp output do avoid blowing the speakers.
Wattage is not the same as sound pressure level (ie volume). While wattage generally gives a good indication of the volume an amp can produce, two different amps with the same wattage can differ quite wildly in that respect.

I havn't heard of any amps that use a solid state preamp and tube power section... What is the amp? It's normally the other way round...
It's like if someone can pick up 100 kg, they'll be fine if you want them to pick up 50kg and anything up to 100, it's only going to have a negative effect if you want them pick up something heavier than they can carry. Same applies.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by De Amazing Blob
No no, that's not a problem at all; the vast majority of people have cabs rated higher than their heads. It's a problem if your head is higher wattage than your cab, because you could blow your speakers, but unless you want speaker distortion, a cab of a higher wattage than your head is ideal.

+1, also even if you want speaker distortion, you want the cab rated at least at the same level as the head, preferably higher. You can get speaker distortion with speakers rated higher than the amp, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nolly
Nah, the 100w rating is the maximum power rating the speakers can handle (well, it can exceed that but then you get into speaker distortion and stuff). The cab rating won't inherently affect the sound quality-that depends on the quality of the speakers. As the other posters have said, you want the cab rating to be higher than the amp output do avoid blowing the speakers.
Wattage is not the same as sound pressure level (ie volume). While wattage generally gives a good indication of the volume an amp can produce, two different amps with the same wattage can differ quite wildly in that respect.

I havn't heard of any amps that use a solid state preamp and tube power section... What is the amp? It's normally the other way round...

Its a Music Man 50RD, it's hand wired and at least 20years old; compleate with just 2 tubes in the power amp section. Don't ask me why, I was just hoping it would be closer to tube than a compleatly solid state amp.

My main worry was that the speakers would constantly want the full 100w, and try to get it from an amp that can't give it, but based on what you all say, it wont ask for it, it's just what it can handle.

And the speakers are Eminence Cannibus Rex. They are 2 12inch speakers rated at 50w a peace.
yay for eminence!

anyways, i have a 25W head and a 200W 4x12 cab. no problems.

and those musicman amps are awesome, the kid in my school jazz band has one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sweet, never heard of them before. Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty rare amp. I love finding out about gear I've never come across...
Quote by Nolly
Sweet, never heard of them before. Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty rare amp. I love finding out about gear I've never come across...

I like it cuz if it breaks its easier to fix then the new stuff which is all circuit board, and they guy who had it before me babyied it.

I dont know the exact details, but when Mr. Fender [they guy who actually started Fender] sold fender to a corporation, he started Music Man. They are still around today, but they dont make amps anymore, just guitars. I do know that their amps are build pretty solid, and if you like the Fender sound, they are at least as good, if not better sounding.
Dont worry, this is no problem at all. It is better that your cab is more watts than the head. However, the total volume will only generate 50w of power. And no, it wont make a difference in sound. It is only bad if the head is more watts than the cab. Think of it as a balloon, Hose being the head, and balloon being the cab. If the balloon can hold a liter of water but the hose is sending 2 liters of water the balloon will simply pop. You want a greater wattage cab to be sure it can handle what is being sent to it. If the head is greater than the cab the speakers will pop because it can not handle what is being sent.
^ nice analogy (though tube heads when pushed can put out a bit more than their rated wattage).

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FrenchBread
I like it cuz if it breaks its easier to fix then the new stuff which is all circuit board, and they guy who had it before me babyied it.

I dont know the exact details, but when Mr. Fender [they guy who actually started Fender] sold fender to a corporation, he started Music Man. They are still around today, but they dont make amps anymore, just guitars. I do know that their amps are build pretty solid, and if you like the Fender sound, they are at least as good, if not better sounding.

Yeah I'm pretty familiar with the guitars, a good friend of mine has an Axis-love the neck on that thing!
I just didn't know anything about the amps. Anyway, I live and learn.