alright try to help me out here (someone who actually knows what they're talking about).

i have my drum kit set up with a mic on the: kick, snare, tom, floor tom, ride, and crash.
all the mics are going into a behringer mixer and then into a computer. can someone tell me what settings or effects (reverb...) i should put on each drum in order to get a good sound.

also i have a les paul going into a fender 65 watt amp. i place a mic right in front of it to pick up the sounds. this usually sounds pretty good but any suggestions would be appreciated...

please help me i would like to get the best punk/rock quality possible...
THANKS
little effects are used on drums and any that are used are NO WHERE NEAR as effective as good mic placement. dont use too many mics, you could probably get by with snare kick and two overheads. if you are recording each mic seperately on individual tracks then you might as well go ahead and use every thing you have. but really, the best thing to work on is mic placement. google around for some tips and techniques on drum mic'ing. for the guitar, place the mic an inch or two away from the speaker and about 2 or 3 inches to the side of the cone and tilt the mic a little bit. again, whatever sounds good do it. experiment and find out for yourself and come and tell everyone what worked well for you.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
To do your amp justice you'll need a condenser mic 30-50 cm away from the speaker, and another condenser round the back if its an open backed mic.
little effects are used on drums

I don't agree with this. For rock drums (depending on how you define rock drums) quite a bit of compression and EQ is used.

If you want Zeplin drums, you can get that with a couple of mics (as long as you are in a great room).

The biggest thing issue is usually recording in a terrible room. A boxy sounding room will sound terrible.

The biggest thing I would suggest is cutting at around 500Hz (give or take). This is one of the few things that I end up doing every single time.

To do your amp justice you'll need a condenser mic 30-50 cm away from the

I guess a SM57 can't do an amp justice then? I guess the zillions of hit records that use 57s on guitar were wrong.

I guess a Royer R121 can't do an amp justice either? Of course, many many recording engineers (including myself) love these on electric guitar and they have been used on a zillion recordings as well in the past 10 years (since they came out).

I've got a ton of tips on my site for this, but the best overall advice I'd give is this:
The amp is 99% of the tone. Put a 57 on the edge of the dustcap. If the tone isn't awesome, it's probably the amps fault (or the way the amp is combining with the guitar).

Brandon
thanks...i want to get a sound similar to modern punk/pop/rock bands (alkaline trio, nofx, bad religion, blink 182, green day). yea the bands i like suck or whatever u wanna say but their records sound amazing...

i would like to just fix the mixer so that everything sounds good going straight into the computer. it all goes to one track so i have to set it exactly right before i record. i can put effects on any drum i want so if u suggest reverb on certain drums or delay(haha that may sound stupid) on anything.

also is there any way to get each drum on a seperate track with the equipment i have now...(mics > mixer > mixer output (i use a quarter inch guitar cord) > computer (the mic input thing).

please help or give me a website whatever u can do! thanks
Listen to bradondury. He knows his stuff. You should probably get the mics off the crash and ride and just use them as general overheads to pick up a little ambiance. The only effects you should use, unless you are intentionally going for a weird sound, is compression on the snare and kick and EQ all around.
EDIT: There's really no way you can do that unless you record all the tracks separately, which would be nearly impossible. However, you really need to record in stereo. I'm assuming you're just going mono since you're only using one cable.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Last edited by Wayward_Son at Jan 31, 2007,
would like to just fix the mixer so that everything sounds good going straight into the computer. it all goes to one track so i have to set it exactly right before i record. i can put effects on any drum i want so if u suggest reverb on certain drums or delay(haha that may sound stupid) on anything.

I think several of those bands are great and they all have tremendous sounding records.

I can tell you for sure that you won't get what you want from recording all drums onto one track. This is not how the big boy records are made...at least not the bands you mentioned. Worst of all, you can't make changes in level to each mic after the fact.

If I had to do it this way, I'd lean a little harder on the overheads than on the close mics. (Close mics by themselves are terrible!).

i can put effects on any drum i want

Can you compress every drum mic differently? Can you scoop out 400Hz from the toms but boost 250 in the snare. Can you boost just 80Hz in the kick?

I'm guessing a cheap little mixer just won't be able to do this that well.

I'm not saying that you can't make a good recording. However, I am saying that it's going to be very tough to get right. If you have the cash, snag something like a Presonus Firepod. If you don't..... well....being broke sucks!

Brandon