Page 1 of 2
or is that just something my dad told me so he dont have to buy me a g tar till like my birthday
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
well, i believe it is actually. It builds hand strength fast, and you don't have to worry about sound or anything, just focusing on straight playing, which is the best way to start out.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
its better
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
ok... haha just checking cuz like...we bought a random acoustic, and he said hes gonna get me a good one on my b day
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
Uh... You bought a random one? No offense but that wasn't very smart.. I'm not expert at guitar but picking up a random one is never a great idea. Is your birthday coming up soon, cause if it is you probably should've spent that time searching through musiciansfriend and going to local guitar stores. But it's under heavy debate whether or not acoustic truly is better to learn on. I guess it's a little bit harder, cheaper, easier to pick up and play, etc. But it's easier to go from acoustic to electric than it is to go from electric to acoustic, IMO.
Yes, it develops coordination with both hands, speed, and you learn chords.
I don't need a signature, I'm too special.
It's not neccesarily better. It depends on the style of music you want to play.

If you want to play music that mostly uses the electric guitar with distortion/over drive, then you won't be able to learn the music you want to play properly. And it is very discuraging to try to learn a piece of music that you can't hear it being played similarly to how it was recording to most people. That's a major reason why a lot of people quit right there.

Then again, it is true that it build's hand strength, dexterity, and flexability fast and you don't have to worry about perfecting your amp's sound. Just tune up and go.

So it's really all up to what style of music you want to play. Trying to learn most any form of rock on an accustic can be fairly detrimental. I know, it almost caused me to quit a few years ago before I got my electric and my amp. I then relized that the accustic, even though it was a quality one, wasn't what I needed to be learning on .
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I think acoustic is slightly better if you plan on playing songs that don't have distortion/effects ALL THE TIME... But some people would want to pick up an electric and play more, just because it might feel "cool"? I don't know though, just upping my post count I guess...
I would say yes. i played an acoustic 9 months before i got my electric (3 months ago. Do that math, ive been playing a year), and it was extremely easy to play an electric then. Actually, it was a bit hard because my fingers could hit the notes TOO fast, because it was so easy. But it took no time at all to fix that up.
Personally I believe you should start with an electric first, but it does help your fingers if you play an acoustic for a while.
Personally, I'd say go for the electric if it's the type of music you wana play. And to get your finger strength up buy a Gripmaster, and the Rough Grip callus builders for the Gripmaster.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Play what you want to play listen to the songs you like a find out what they play if you love, I don't know, black sabbath. Don't buy an acoustic guitar. Learning guitar, can be a real bitch if your not playing what you like. The same goes for the instrument on a whole. Obvious things like if you dream of playing in an orchestra, maybe look at a different instrument. If you love what you play you will advance much quicker. You may be a better guitarist after learning on an acoustic but the key is that you still need to learn. If you love electric guitar and will never play any other instrument it won't make a difference. It comes down to it is easier to play electric after acoustic and hard the other way round. But worry about learning your first instrument properly then when you change.
well put it this way, i was told to get an accoustic first but i was put off by the fact that i would get bored of the whole idea of playing because i will only be using it to practice, and if you don't practice what you like you get bored of it so if you fancy an electric, get one, you will still be able to play good but just in a different way.
This what I am doing:
Start with electric. More confortable, easier to play, you can take it anywhere, sour notes/ bad playing/ not able to play aren't as audible. Electrics are not as fragile also.
You can quietly practice anywhere. I practice at my kids dance class.
Even without an amp my wife can still hear me playing throughout most of the house.
After I really learn to play, I plan on buying a real nice acoustic. This way I will only need to buy 1 acoustic.

Just my plan. What every you choose, learn to read music, take some lessons, practice and plan on about a year or so to play proficiantly. Measure your progress in months, not days or weeks. Play for your enjoyment. Remember there are no tests, or speed contests. Talk to people who you know or see playing. They will give better feedback.
If you read the forums on UG, you find that answers are all over the place.
It depends on the type of music you want to play.

If Kirk Hammet is the guy who inspired you to buy a guitar, then don't get an acoustic. :p
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I started out with an acoustic about 9 months ago an i find it very easy to play my couzins electric. I havnt got one yet... :-(
I started out with a classical guitar a couple of months back and my finger strength is brilliant for it on the electric. Although i did find it tricky as the strings aren't three miles apart on electric.
its better for motivation if you start on electric, as someone metioned i think. playing a simple song like smoke on the water is easy yet stil sounds pretty good
I started out with acoustic and it really helped forming barre chords on the electric I got afterwards. If you do start with acoustic and switch to electric you'll say something like "Oh jeez this is too easy to play". That's what I did.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I don't think there is a playing benefit behind it. It will make the transition into electric easier I believe though. Acoustic requires more strength, it will build up your fingers and roughen up thouse callouses. Electric is a light touch and smaller. Its okay to start on electric, but if you got an acoustic, use it.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
NOPE. you've been had.

if u play metal and are given an acoustic, u'r more apt to quit.

guess what. if u start on an electric, ur finger strength will build to where it needs to be anyway.

it's not like working on an acoustic first is going to give u lightning fingers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
the accoustic first thing is something parents say because they dont want to hear the godawful sound of noobs first learning the electric guitar, since unless they play guitar they will associate the electric guitar with being insanely loud and obnoxious.

and BTW i play metal (among other things) and i started out on an acoustic. I can play a badass acoustic version of war pigs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ i started on acoustic too. but when a guy wants to to learn different shredding techniques, and cant sound anything like his fav song....
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

good point, but if you dont have a choice in the matter you can learn metal on an acoustic.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
hell yeah. any guitar is better than no guitar.

but i've heard about this acoustic first myth for a while now. it's just silly.

i think it was started by the acoustic guitar association.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I truly believe Acoustic and Electric are different instruments. I have both, and i change guitars according to what i want to play. Since i like most styles of music this works great for me. But there are just somethings that don't have the right feel to it if its not on the right guitar(acoustic or electric).

But if your like me it really didn't matter, i just wanted to learn and play. I didn't have a certain style that i wanted to play, i like all guitar styles.

If there is a certain style of music you want to learn and play, you should pick the instrument for the style. If your not gonna play acoustic music, there is no reason to play acoustic.

But since you do have an acoustic play it. And when you change over to electric, yes the transition won't be hard.
epic7734
Quote by yawn
Yes, it's better.

Quote by delizio37
its better

Yes, this really says a lot and helps people.
I started on electric, and i can play an accoustic without a problem.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
I have an acoustic right now, and when I play on an electric guitar, I find it SO much easier to have speed and still be accurate, just because I've worked hard learning things on the acoustic. I do understand what people mean when they say they might be disheartened and want to give up when they want to play a song of a particular genre, and it doesn't sound the same on acoustic...so I guess it's really up to your needs.

I didn't want to just be able to play songs I liked. I wanted to become a better guitarist...and I think through starting out with an acoustic...even though it's been harder...I've gained a lot from it, in regards to hand strength, accuracy and speed.
All the people who are telling you just get an electric to play metal are idiots! These are the kind of people that just want to play guitar to look cool and end up in god awful bands like Linkin Park.
If you are serious about becoming an accomplished guitarist you should learn to play both as you will develop a broader range of techniques. Starting on an acoustic and learning basic chords, barre chords, simple runs and some basic scales will greatly improve your ability when you move onto electric. You should be aiming to play fluently and cleanly, not mask mistakes with distortion.
There are far too many guitarists these days that have started on an electric and only know how to play power chords and pentatonic solos. This not only limits them as a guitarist but also hinders them as a song writer as they are unable to form more complex progressions and instead produce repetitive, generic crap.

Also don't be fooled into thinking you need an electric with monster distortion to play metal. Pantera, Metallica, Anthrax, Chimaira, Machine Head, Iron Maiden and about a million other metal bands have all used acoustic guitars as well as electric when recording.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
i still play my accoustic for 1/3 of my daily meditation. Keeps my fingers strong and keeps me from being lazy with chord voicings.
Cecil Gonzales:

While what you say is true in many respects, especially on expanding your techniques... I find that I sound like shit on my accustic... while even playing clean on my electric I have MUCH better sound, and I also am WAY more precise. As playing an accustic takes an entirely different touch. You MUST have hand strength, and TONS of it to play ANY good accustic... And you can't play any electric metal pieces on accustic, it just doesn't feel the same. Yes metal has been preformed on countless accustics by countless big metal bands... hell, Yinwie can shread like hell on his classical! If the majority of what he likes isn't accustic style music, it's not going to be very motivating to play the damned thing...

And distortion only covers mistakes if you use a ton of it... I play with distortion as much as I play clean and I can tell when I make a mistake on either!

And don't go say "the distortion IS covering up your mistakes if you are making mistakes on an accustic"... cause the accustic is a completely different beast, and takes a different approach as I've already said... Plus it's TONS easier to get CTS on an accustic as you are having to force your fingers and and parts of your arms to do things they would be either doing much less of, or nothing at all when on the electric.

Then again, if accustic is what he likes, the more power to him...

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
hell yeah. any guitar is better than no guitar.

but i've heard about this acoustic first myth for a while now. it's just silly.

i think it was started by the acoustic guitar association

It stems from our parents and the time when you couldn't get cheap electrics, the cheapest acoustics were always significantly cheaper than the cheapest electrics, so it made sense to go with the acoustic first if you weren't sure you'd stick with it, or even be able to play it. Now you can buy a cheapie electric for peanuts so there's no real reason to start on acoustic....if you want to play electric, start on an electric.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you prefer the tone of an electric then that's your preference. Personaly I think the tone of a high end acoustic such as a Taylor or a Martin completely wipes the floor with even the best vintage strat, however, this is not what the tread starter asked in his original question.

IMHO it is better to learn to play an acoustic fist and learn to play it properly before moving on to an electric. Starting on an electric just because it's easier is a cop-out. Some of the greatest guitarist of our time; Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, are all known for their acoustic work as well as electric. Kirk Hammet on the other hand, is a one trick poney.
It stems from our parents and the time when you couldn't get cheap electrics,

man, ^ i knew it. my mom was always fibbing about one thing or another.

is it also true that if ponies cant live in a basement? cause if it's not, im going to be so po'd.

^for above me. no one said to start on electric because it's easier. start on an electric, if it suits the style of music u want to play at that time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565

^for above me. no one said to start on electric because it's easier. start on an electric, if it suits the style of music u want to play at that time.

Actually I think you'll find they did...

Quote by siksofus

Start with electric. More confortable, easier to play, you can take it anywhere, sour notes/ bad playing/ not able to play aren't as audible...
Cecil Gonzales.... That isn't a cop out. And it's not exactly that much easier... as there are things you can do only on the electric really... Try putting a vibrato bar on a standard accustic and see how long it lasts, lmao!

Not to put accustic down, as you stated, there are countless artists that made AWSOME accustical pieces... (personal prefference, but I wouldn't call ANY of clapton's accustic pieces good... ok mabey.. Now Page's accustic stuff... NOW THERE'S something to talk about!)
BUT!:

This guy is starting out, and I would definatly say go electric as soon as you can IF, AND ONLY IF, you want to play music which uses the electric. Saying the accustic WILL make you a better player is what is a cop out... as it can also make you an absolutely crappy player... I know this from personal experience bud! I played for the better part of 2-3 years on an accustic and I got nowhere at any pace... I probably could play 3 chords and 2 scales in all that time, no matter how much time I spent on it (which was at least 4 hours a day approx.) The month my mom got me my first electric... I took off.. I could play the Entire pentatonic E scale up and down the neck, along with the A pentatonic if memory serves me right, and I knew most of my open position chords and some barres!... ever sence then I've been learning everything I can and it's come almost right to me, with the exception of a few things... The accustic did NOTHING for me except build my calluses...

Playing the accustic is not a GARENTIE (sp?) that you WILL be a better player in the end... Accustic is NOT for EVERYONE! I still play my accustic, but I learn everything on my electric first... THEN I take it to the accustic once I've fully got it mastered on the electric... and even then I MIGHT be able to play it on the accustic... as the accustic just isn't anywhere in the same ballpark as the electric. Yes the electric is easier when it comes to the strength end of things, but it allows you a MUCH lighter touch, and allows things to come MUCH faster... I don't think you should spend an entire set of 3 months on one ****ing chord like I had to when I was on the accustic, verses the like 1 week it took to get that one chord, and less than a day for many others.... And FORGET trying to learn to sweep on an accustic... not unless you have the coordination AND strength of a god... Hell, that's hard enough on the easiest to play electric, much less a steel string accustic!

And it's just personal preference here, but personally I think a noob on an accustic sounds MUCH worse than a noob on an electric... I also think in personal preference, that unless your a god like Page or other classic rockers that could play accustic like they did... accustic music sucks. I mean unless you know your stuff beyond the most complicated things in music, then there's no way, in my personal preference, that you can sound anywhere near ok, much less great ... but that's just my personal preference.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Page 1 of 2