im considering buying a fretless, and my taste is music ranges all over the place.
im into funk, and my school funk band have had a fretless bass player and it sounded great, but are there any professional funk players/bands out there that use fretless?
also other genres...i love how jeff ament uses fretless in pearl jam. but whats concerning me is if i do buy a fretless, i dont want to be limited to mainly just jazz. id like to play as many genres as possible with it, but im not too sure the extent this will be possible... any comments?
i need to get a better signature.
Well, you may want to check into some of the early Stones. Bill Wyman is reported to be one of the first rock bass players to defret his bass guitar. The Wikipedia article mentions that Wyman did it first, but I am not sure of the accuracy of the comment.

On funk, I'll have to defer to others in the forum...
Doesn't flea use a fretless?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto both have songs (a lot, I might add) for the fretless. Try Everything Went Numb by Streetlight and Keasbey Nights by Catch 22.

I don't know what you think of ska as far as its similarities to jazz, but it's good stuff nonetheless.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Of course you aren't just limited to jazz, if there's a song that you want a smoother sound to, maybe some slides, then use a fretless. Fretlesses can be used in any genre of music if you do it right. So if you like it, then play it.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by zekk

Not to my knowledge.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
a really good band im friends with, their bass player plays a fretless and its pretty sweet. he throws in lots of harmonics and the like. www.myspace.com/openparachute the recordings on their myspace are with their fretted, old bass player. new ones should be up soon, but ive heard all of them with the new guy and live and it is sumn else.
Quote by R_H_C_P
It's a known fact that 100% of people that sell their Telecasters, die.
Jeff Ament, of Pearl Jam, plays a fretless on Ten, believe it or not. With such a classic grunge album as that utilizing it, fretless seems to be less of a song killer in popular music.

Robert Trujillo used one a bit with Suicidal Tendencies.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by enzoslashslash
When this question comes up, its always Steve DiGiorgio. He plays metal with a fretless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_DiGiorgio

yes, but like the article says, hes one of the very few in his genre. very very few. i dont think thats because of image, but because of sound issues. maybe the fretless sound doesnt sound that type of music, when played by the majority of bass players. i dont know.

im listening to my favourite band right now (pearl jam), and my favourite album of all time (ten), and just listening to it is convincing me to get a fretless asap.
Justin Chancellor of Tool used one on a couple song on Lateralus album, I think. Pino Palladino has left his mark on everything from Gary Numan, to the New Who album, John Mayer Trio, Peter Gabriel (I think), and some hip hop and funk in the 90's. From what I've read, alot of his older stuff was done on a fretless.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by zekk

he did a bit in the album 'by the way'. thats all i know, dont know which songs.
Well why are you worried what other people have done? Maybe when you form your own punk sound on a fretless you'lll make it big and someone will be on this forum 20 years later asking how to get your tone. Just go out and try to make your own style. You'll only be limited to jazz if you limit yourself to jazz. If you wanna play X mettalica song with a fretless that Cliff used a fretted on go ahead. You may not get his exact sound but you'll put your own personal touch on it.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
yes, but like the article says, hes one of the very few in his genre. very very few. i dont think thats because of image, but because of sound issues. maybe the fretless sound doesnt sound that type of music, when played by the majority of bass players. i dont know.

Few death metal bassists, and metal bassists in general, use fretless basses - simply because of what they're playing. A lot of death metal bassists are simply root noting what the guitar plays (in C tuning or lower usually) in 8th notes so that there's a strong bass attack from both the bass and the guitars.

DiGiorgio doesn't do this - often times he switches between "rhythm" playing (following the guitars, usually note for note) and "lead" playing with fills in the higher range of the fingerboard. In his main band, Sadus, he has more freedom to do this because of the fact that it's only him (on bass and synths), a guitarist/vocalist and a drummer. In the bands he did session work for, some of them allow him that creative freedom (for example, his work on Quo Vadis's album "Defiant Imagination")

Aborted (tuned to B, coincidentially) had a bassist who used a fretless bass sometimes (it's on their DVD). I believe he left the band though due to stress from touring, or something like that.

Sean Malone, who recorded the bass on Cynic's "Focus" album used a fretless for the recording - despite the fact that he was only technically a session studio member who was in the right place and the right time. He went on to form Gordian Knot and teach jazz at (I believe) Berkeley.

Dominic "Forest" LaPointe plays for Augury (and also does session live bass for Quo Vadis, ex on their live DVD "Defiant Indoctrination") plays a fretless (I believe exclusively.) He played Steve's lines to perfection on the live DVD Quo Vadis put out.

Johan DeFarfalla used a fretless bass on the first two Opeth albums, the only two he played on before he got kicked out of the band. His bass playing on these albums is phenomenal, due to the fact that he had to fill up the space left by the melodic harmony-based playing that Mike and Peter were doing at the time.

Those are honestly the only examples I can think of RIGHT off the top of my head for fretless basses in metal.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Well why are you worried what other people have done? Maybe when you form your own punk sound on a fretless you'lll make it big and someone will be on this forum 20 years later asking how to get your tone. Just go out and try to make your own style. You'll only be limited to jazz if you limit yourself to jazz.

i know, i was just curious as to how versatile the fretless bass has been used in different genres of music. sure, its up to me how i use it, i just wanted to know more about inspiring fretless players to give me somewhere to start.
I don't think a fretless would be brilliant for funk because you don't get as bright a sound as you do through a fretted bass, but if you've got a decent eq I'm sure you could work around it. I remember playing the main riff to the Chicken on a fretless and it did sound vright enough for me.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Jaco wrote that and didn't he always play a fretless?
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Common misconception he always played fretless, I know for a fact that he played fretted on Birdland, and I'm pretty sure he played fretted on quite a few Chicken versions

Edit: Birdland video http://youtube.com/watch?v=pqashW66D7o
Chicken on fretted http://youtube.com/watch?v=TmJ7EKkv93o
Founder of Jaco society

Last edited by sinan90 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by sinan90
Common misconception he always played fretless, I know for a fact that he played fretted on Birdland, and I'm pretty sure he played fretted on quite a few Chicken versions

yes, but on the album 'invitation', which i imagine the track first emerged, its clearly a fretless.
Quote by sinan90

I stand corrected
Quote by Bumper

Quote by MATTTHEMOP
yes, but on the album 'invitation', which i imagine the track first emerged, its clearly a fretless.

He played both but I personally prefer the fretted sound. And the Chicken part of the song wasn't written by Jaco but Alfred James Ellis, Jaco wrote the Soul intro ie the section in 3/4.
Founder of Jaco society

i played a fretless warwick today and tried to play a little bit of maiden and it sounded bad, it sounded great for solo style bass stuff though just not if your trying to get a full like back beat of 8ths or 16ths
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
Quote by MaidenRules666
i played a fretless warwick today and tried to play a little bit of maiden and it sounded bad, it sounded great for solo style bass stuff though just not if your trying to get a full like back beat of 8ths or 16ths

That will never work obviously because steve harris gets his "clank" style sound from hitting the strings against the frets. You can use a fretless in any style of music as long as you get it right, but with covers, unless they are designed for fretless they will never sound the same.
Quote by Bumper

Couldn't you, in theory, use a fretless in any genre of music if you worked around the sound? I mean, covers might be a little rough (as stated above) but for original compositions I don't see why you couldn't apply fretless to anything you wanted.
Quote by sinan90

Apparently you are miss informed about Weather Report, and the song Birdland.

Pastorious didn't join Weather Report until after they had released that album. It is not a Jaco Pastorious bass part.
I gigged with my new fretless about a month ago for a bassist I was filling in for.

They are a Rage Against The Machine cover band, and apparently everybody loved my playing. It's really not a big deal playing a fretless with different genres, you just can't slap on most of them.
Quote by elemenohpee
Apparently you are miss informed about Weather Report, and the song Birdland.

Pastorious didn't join Weather Report until after they had released that album. It is not a Jaco Pastorious bass part.

hmm...well i have the album and theres plenty of stuff about jaco in the cover pamphlet. and it sounds exactly like his style. also, a couple of the tracks on that album (heavy weather) are composed by him. sounds like his style of composing.

btw thanx for the replies everyone.