I looked around ebay and noticed the JCM 900's are pretty cheap, the two heads that caught my eye were te JCM900 SL-x and the 4100 Hi Gain.

I was wonderig if anyone had any information on these heads soundwise? Mabye clips, songs, video, etc?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
get the 4100 for older sounds, sl-x for more modern and higher gain, but less balls
Sound clips on the internet aren't really that good to judge amps on IMO
This might help
^Actully the Dual Reverbs have more modern tone to. The JCM900 in general is a very modern voiced amp (i sold mine since it couldn't nail the classic tones i needed).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
here check my vid in my sig thts the metal tone i get out of myne wikth a equilizer and tubescreamer

It hasnt got enough low end initially for really fast heavy metal like metallica or some hardcore music or enough gain. Your need to use the equilizer for the low end extra. and the tubesceamer for extra tightness and gain for metal sounds
Last edited by Sora 01 at Jan 31, 2007,
Childre Of Bodom use them, so that would be the most extream it could go! its an all round great amp, very versitile and good price!
Quote by davedoom
get the 4100 for older sounds, sl-x for more modern and higher gain, but less balls

The SL-X has MORE gain/balls than the 4XXX. Extra preamp tube and different preamp circuitry. Also, they typically come with 6L6 power tubes which give it a fuller bass. Absolutely great amps. A bargain.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^wow, total crap

sl-x has more gain, but much less balls!

heavy doesnt mean more gain! the earlier the amp, the more balls with marshall so.... 800>900Mk3s etc>900SL-X

ive tried them all, the 900sl-x is nice, but thinner

i also think youll find, the 6L6s give it tighter bass, but not more. they also have better cleans (less breakup) but very brittle overdrive sounds in comparison (to EL34s)

P.S, if you actually back down the gain on them, it disengages the extra preamp circuitry anyway, therefore, the more original sound

still nice amps, but get facts clearer
Quote by False_God
Childre Of Bodom use them, so that would be the most extream it could go! its an all round great amp, very versitile and good price!

Both Alexi and Roope use rack units consisting of Lee Jackson Pre-amps, VHT Power Amps, and Alexi uses a Rocktron Intellifex effects unit. They only use their JCM900's for clinics and guitar magazine demo's.
High as tits
I'm going for this sound:
www.myspace.com/intheory1

He uses a Mesa Dual Rectifier.. Which one would get me closer to that sound?
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Last edited by chase312 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by davedoom
^wow, total crap

sl-x has more gain, but much less balls!

heavy doesnt mean more gain! the earlier the amp, the more balls with marshall so.... 800>900Mk3s etc>900SL-X

ive tried them all, the 900sl-x is nice, but thinner

i also think youll find, the 6L6s give it tighter bass, but not more. they also have better cleans (less breakup) but very brittle overdrive sounds in comparison (to EL34s)

P.S, if you actually back down the gain on them, it disengages the extra preamp circuitry anyway, therefore, the more original sound

still nice amps, but get facts clearer

Clearly our experiences have differed. My old SL-X destroyed a friends 4100.
^but in gain?

it would sound more brutal because of the gain, but did you try them with roughly equal settings, gain and high volume

all the times ive done that, the 4100 has more natural "bang"!
Yup, we were fairly thorough in trying various setups. Maybe my amp was strong or his was having issues (although I never noticed any issues with his before).