Just a quick little question: Is there a certain pattern (kind of like how there's the "box" pattern for minor pentatonic) for the Dorian Mode? If so what is it?

Thanks
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
A scale is not a shape or a position or a box. Any arangement of 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 is an acceptable way of playing the Dorian scale.

However, when I play modal stuff, I usually fill in the modal tones in the pentatonic scale. For instance, for A Dorian, I would fill in the Bs on the 7th fret of E, 9th fret of D (or 4th fret of G), and 7th fret of e. I would fill in the F#s on the 9th fret of A and the 7th fret of B.
i play the Dorian shape like this
O=Root
X=other notes

e---|---|-O-|---|-X-|-X-|
B---|---|-X-|---|-X-|-X-|
G---|-X-|-X-|---|-X-|---|
D---|-X-|-X-|---|-O-|---|
A---|---|-X-|---|-X-|---|
E---|---|-O-|---|-X-|-X-|
Quote by brentonlatour
i play the Dorian shape like this
O=Root
X=other notes

e---|---|-O-|---|-X-|-X-|
B---|---|-X-|---|-X-|-X-|
G---|-X-|-X-|---|-X-|---|
D---|-X-|-X-|---|-O-|---|
A---|---|-X-|---|-X-|---|
E---|---|-O-|---|-X-|-X-|

That confused the hell out of me

I hate being left handed -_-
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Read it like a tab.

Yes, from left to right like a fretboard

I'm lefthanded, my fretboard is the other way round so it would look different I were to write it down

I do know what i'm talking about
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes, from left to right like a fretboard

I'm lefthanded, my fretboard is the other way round so it would look different I were to write it down

I do know what i'm talking about
So you play a note on low E, play a note 2 frets higher, and then play a note an additional fret higher. Then you move to the A string and follow the pattern for the whole fingering.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
So you play a note on low E, play a note 2 frets higher, and then play a note an additional fret higher. Then you move to the A string and follow the pattern for the whole fingering.

...I know how to play a Dorian mode

All I was trying to state was that if I were going to write it I would do it the opposite way rounf

Shame on my futile attempts at humour -_-