Page 1 of 2
I've posted about these guys in a few of the Grunge threads in Mod Rock, but I'm fairly sure they belong here more than there.

I picked up III when HMV had a "If you like THIS, you'll love THIS" thing going on, and III was next to Nevermind.

How could I NOT buy it?

Anyway, it's the only album of there's I've been able to find, and I ****ing love it, any other fans?
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
I've never liked 'III' that much, the self-titled and 'rocking the forest' have always been my favourites. They were an excellent band though. Heard somewhere that they were still touring, but I'd rather see Lou perform solo these days (although catching a Sebadoh show would be amazing).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Dinosaur Jr have reunited man, I'm fairly sure it's the original line up.

Either way, I'd love to go see any of the bands.

I'll keep an eye out for those albums.

EDIT: Yeah: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/dinosaur_jr_set_to_tour.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/dinosaur_jr_new_album_details.html

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Yeah, Dinosaur Jr reunited ages ago, but I'm pretty sure I heard Sebadoh did as well.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Ahh, fair enough.

From wiki: "In 2006, Sebadoh announced that they would be getting back together for a reunion tour. On frontman Lou Barlow's webpage, it was announced that "Sebadoh Classic will be touring this spring ... Eric Jason and I will be heading out together." "

I tried looking on Lou's website, but it's confusing as hell.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah, Lou's page is pretty poor...

02/26 San Diego Casbah
02/27 Costa Mesa Detroit Bar
02/28 San Fran GAMH/ Noisepop
03/02 Portland Berbatis Pan
03/03 Vancouver Richards
03/04 Seattle Neumos
03/06 Eugene WOW Hall
03/08 Santa Cruz The Attic
03/09 Los Angeles Troubadour
03/10 Los Angeles Spaceland
03/15 Phoenix Clubhouse
03/16 Albuquerque Launchpad
03/17 Boulder Fox Theater
03/19 Minneapolis 400 Bar
03/20 Milwaukee Shank Hall
03/21 Chicago Metro
03/22 Detroit Magic Stick
03/23 Toronto Lees Palace
03/24 Montreal La Sala Rossa
03/29 Northampton Pearl St
03/30 Boston Paradise
03/31 New York Webster Hall
04/03 DC 9:30 Club
04/04 Carrboro Cats Cradle
04/06 Louisville Headliners
04/07 Nashville Exit In
04/08 Atlanta Variety Playhouse
04/09 Tallahassee Beta Bar
04/10 Orlando The Social
04/12 New Orleans TBA
04/13 Houston Walters on Washington
04/14 Austin Emos
04/16 Tucson Club Congress

That's from the Sebadoh homepage (http://www.sebadoh.com/).
Told you

RateYourMusic
I'm liking the look of that Downloads page

That's sweet too, if they hit this area I'll be there.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Can't be assed with a new thread, but I was in a second hand CD store earlier, and found two CDs listed under "Sebadoh" one is a single/EP called Ocean, seems pretty good.

The other is called "The New Folk Implosion" and seems to be more of a Lou Barlow solo thing, as I don't even recognise the names of the other two guys.

It's more mellow and laid back, gives me a picture of a sunny day with daisies in my head, than Sebadoh and there is actually some production on it

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I only have Bakesale and find it amazing.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Last edited by sponj at Feb 17, 2007,
They're playing a lot of 21+ places. Such as Club Congress in Tucson and the Launchpad in Albuquerque.

Frankly, I'm just a Lou Barlow fan, but even then, I only liked a few songs off the album. It would be nice to see them though for seeing them's sake.
^ Only liked a few tracks off 'Emoh'? That album was amazing. Waiting to receive the new EP from him as well.

Frenchy, check out Lou Barlow's website, it explains some stuff about his other projects. You can get a nice signed CD from him as well - was quite surprised when it came through the door signed and then saw it mentioned on his page.

Anyway, I still hold the opinion that the self-titled Sebadoh is the best album by them.

RateYourMusic
Listening to all those mp3s on his site new.

Glad I went back to it

I'll keep looking for any Sebadoh CDs I can find too.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
bake sale is a great cd but if you can find smash your head on the punk rock that cd is a classic.
I've only picked up Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock from a bargain bin, but I've always liked Dino Jr. and Lou's solo work and have been getting back into Sebadoh quite a bit the past couple of weeks. I'll probably start with the reissue of III, since it's a lot of music for not a lot of money, then go from there.

And Emoh really is an amazing album...
Quote by slinks
I've only picked up Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock from a bargain bin, but I've always liked Dino Jr. and Lou's solo work and have been getting back into Sebadoh quite a bit the past couple of weeks. I'll probably start with the reissue of III, since it's a lot of music for not a lot of money, then go from there.

And Emoh really is an amazing album...

Sweet, when Lou gets more in stock I'm going to buy it.

I'm verging on buying "The Sebadoh" on vinyl too, even though I have no record player at home, let alone in my flat at uni.

Actually...my mum might have one somewhere...

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It sounds beautiful on vinyl
Worst comes to worst you could probably find a record player at a car boot sale for £20 or something.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
It sounds beautiful on vinyl
Worst comes to worst you could probably find a record player at a car boot sale for £20 or something.

I bought it

This better not become an addiction, lol, I spend too much money on CDs as it is, nevermind adding vinyls to that.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
i love dinosaur jr, and that's what initially led me to sebadoh. after listening to almost all of their discography, i can easily say that i like sebadoh more. lou barlow is definitely a gifted songwriter, and i prefer his voice over j mascis'.

i've got all of sebadoh's work except for their very first recording, "the freed man". III is an amazing record, but the 2-CD reissue is even better.

although they depart from their lo-fi sound in their later albums, i strongly recommend 'Harmacy' from 1996. it's got some great melodies.
Managed to find Bakesale today, good CD

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by andrewbiles
^ Only liked a few tracks off 'Emoh'? That album was amazing. Waiting to receive the new EP from him as well.

Anyway, I still hold the opinion that the self-titled Sebadoh is the best album by them.

It was a little on the poppy side for me. I've really been leaning on instrumental bands lately. I don't know what it is about most vocals these days that really just turns me off. Frankly, the songs I liked the most were the ones on the goofy side (Day Kitty and Mary).
I've listened to On Fire and Flame (coincidentely) and obviously liked it. what should i listen to next? I'm also a Dino Jr. Fan.
Last edited by Love_Buzz at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Love_Buzz
I've listened to On Fire and Flame (coincidentely) and obviously liked it. what should i listen to next? I'm also a Dino Jr. Fan.

Well, IM, III owns, but andrew says he doesn't really like it, so =/

On another note I just wrote my 2nd cheque ever. For £33.46. For 4 Sebadoh CDs from Amazon.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by Love_Buzz
and these are....songs/albums?
Congratulations i guess on the check and Cds btw

III is an album, it was recently reissued and seems reasonably easy to pick up in a shop.

And thanks

I even wrote "sexual favours" on the stub, something I've always wanted to do.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
thanks yourself (or however thats said) any perticular songs off III which i just noticed has 41 songs (i think) remastered.
Last edited by Love_Buzz at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by Love_Buzz
thanks yourself (or however thats said) any perticular songs off III which i just noticed has 41 songs (i think) remastered.

My personal favourites are, in no particular order:

Hassle, Truly Great Thing, Gimme Indie Rock, As The World Dies, The Eyes Of God Grow Bigger, The Freed Pig, Supernatural Force, Ride The Darker Wave, Stars For Eyes.

Awesome album.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Well, IM, III owns, but andrew says he doesn't really like it, so =/

On another note I just wrote my 2nd cheque ever. For £33.46. For 4 Sebadoh CDs from Amazon.

You can send cheques to amazon?! Surprised at that.
'III' isn't the worst album out there, it's just not their best.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
You can send cheques to amazon?! Surprised at that.

Yeah, I was slightly surprised too, but not having a credit card I was delighted when I found out.

'III' isn't the worst album out there, it's just not their best.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to these other ones.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I would say that III is definitely the most interesting of the albums I've heard, maybe not the sonically best though.
Bang
Last edited by IThinkNot at Mar 3, 2007,
Quote by IThinkNot
I would say that III is definitely the most interesting of the albums I've heard, maybe not the sonically best though.

I love the mix between Gaffney and Barlow. The sudden move from downtuned acoustic folkish songs to Absolute noise rock is amazing.

My LP, CD and shirt should come on Monday, and my amazon CDs not long after.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Vinyl, CD and shirt came today

He signed the CD "thanks Mr French! - Lou Barlow" and the vinyl "And again Mr French! - Lou Barlow"

The shirt was the The Folk Implosion - One Part Lullaby one, with the harp on the front that reminds me of Guiness

Will have to wait a couple of weeks to hear the vinyl though, lol.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
His new EP is available for download for $5 on his site now if anyone's interested.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Bakesale is the only album of theirs that I actually own, but I've heard stuff from The Sebadoh and Harmacy also.

It's all brilliant.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
The latest Barlow EP is a disappointment it has to be said. 'You're a goat' is probably the best track on it and that isn't up to the standard of any of the tracks on 'Emoh'.

What do you think of the Sebadoh stuff you got, Frenchy?

RateYourMusic
Yeah, I can kinda agree with that, definitely overshadowed by the new Dino Jr album this week. Still like it though, Yawning Blue Messiah was my favourite of the 5, probably followed by You're A Goat, do like the layered vocals on it.

Absolutely loved The Sebadoh, wouldn't go as far as saying I preferred it to III though, although Flame could be my favourite song by them. The other stuff is all great too. I got Smash Your Head... rather than Rocking The Forest and Sebadoh vs. Helmet, and I've read reviews that say it's better to have the original track order, but seems unimportant to me.

EMOH was a fantastic album, you were dead on with your reviews there. Do you know if zappp actually ended up getting it?

Still loving them as much as before then

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Ah, not heard the new Dino Jr yet. Read a bunch of good things about it though. It's now on the list.

'Smash your head...' is a bit of a mix bag for me, only really got it to hear their cover of 'Pink moon' though.
Sorry to hear you prefer 'III' over the self-titled, hopefully it'll grow on you a bit more.
Don't know anything about the vs Helmet album. I take it it's a split?

Doubt zappp bought it, but there's hope. It was just a shame he shoved on that daykitty track at the end. That track never did much for me for some reason.

RateYourMusic
Thats funny, cause thats one of the few that I liked. Musically it does nothing for me, but the story of the cat is fun.
I think if it had been recorded live at a show it would've appealed more.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
Ah, not heard the new Dino Jr yet. Read a bunch of good things about it though. It's now on the list.

'Smash your head...' is a bit of a mix bag for me, only really got it to hear their cover of 'Pink moon' though.
Sorry to hear you prefer 'III' over the self-titled, hopefully it'll grow on you a bit more.
Don't know anything about the vs Helmet album. I take it it's a split?

Doubt zappp bought it, but there's hope. It was just a shame he shoved on that daykitty track at the end. That track never did much for me for some reason.

Yeah, really loving the new Dino album.

Smash Your Head is most of Rockin The Forest, and most of Sebadoh vs. Helmet put together, but not all of either; I cba paying for both lol, although I probably will eventually.

[Comment that will make you hate me]Never listened to Nick Drake, so never heard the original of Pink Moon[/Comment that will make you want to kill me]

Not actually sure what the deal with Sebadoh vs. Helmet is tbh, I don't hear anyone else on the record, but hen again I only have half of it lol, but I have this feeling in back of my head that "Helmet" is the name of one of the members of Pearl Jam's side projects, I'll check though.

Sorry to hear you prefer The Sebadoh over 'III', hopefully it'll grow on you a bit more.

EDIT: Helmet were apparently these guys. No mention of Sebadoh on that page, but they sound like the sorta band Sebadoh would team up with.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at May 4, 2007,
Page 1 of 2