Alright, I'm about 60% sure that i'm gonna buy pedals instead of new pickups. So i need some help on a possible setup.

Things i need to know:
-How many is too many for a serious, but small-time player?
-Is ebay decent to buy all the pedals off of?
-what pedalboard for X amount of pedals?
-what power supply for multiple pedals?
-What effects?
-what cables/cords/misc. shit?
-does order matter?
-^what's a good order for my music preferences?

I play emo, screamo, metalcore, any type of metal, classic rock, punk, and things like MUSE, Strokes, Metallica, and some others that don't matter. Also, don't say shit about the things i play, i choose what i play and it shouldn't matter if you think it's good or not.

I already have a Boss DS-2 and Digitech RP-80.

Things i know i need:
-metal distortion pedal
-delay
-overdrive
-phaser or flanger (what's the difference?)
-wah
-chorus
-acoustic

Thanks
Things i need to know:
as many as you want, really. You can't have too many pedals.

-Is ebay decent to buy all the pedals off of?
Yes, as long as you know what you're getting and are careful of scammers.

-what pedalboard for X amount of pedals?
lay out your pedals in the way you want them on the board and then measure. There are a lot of boards out there that will fit your needs.

The Voodoo Power Pedal or the dunlop Brick both work well for any (almost) number of pedals, they sell daisy chains for them too. If you don't have too many pedals, and don't need to worry about noise (judging from your list that's not the case) you can get away with a one-spot and a daisy chain.

-What effects?
All of them. But really, whatever you like. Take a trip to guitar center and play everything they have.

-what cables/cords/misc. shit?
george L's kit so you can make your own cables for between the pedals. For guitar to pedals and pedals to amp, Planet Waves are good. You might want to get a slide and a capo, and certainly a tuner if you don't already have those.

-does order matter?
Yes, but that's something you need to experiment with yourself. Usually things like delay, chorus, flanger and reverb go at the end and compression, distortion, and overdrive go towards the beginning, but there are no rules and you'll need to try out combinations yourself to hear the difference.
There's no way to tell over the internet. Experiment.
if guitar centers an hour away can't you go on a weekend? its not like you have to walk (hopefully)
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by dudey5691
Alright, I'm about 60% sure that i'm gonna buy pedals instead of new pickups. So i need some help on a possible setup.

Things i need to know:
-How many is too many for a serious, but small-time player? There's no such thing as too many. It just depends on what you want. As long as you don't have too many of the same pedals.
-Is ebay decent to buy all the pedals off of?eBay is good sometimes. You have to make sure that the guy you're buying off of is a good source. Which is why it's always good to buy from people with good feedback.
-what pedalboard for X amount of pedals?A pedalboard can be as big as you want it to be. Just make sure you don't have crappy pedals and the same pedals.
-what power supply for multiple pedals?It depends on the kind of pedal. You can use daisy chains but that only works for one kind of power supply. So, you can't put a Big Muff and a DS-1 in the same daisy chain.
-What effects? Depends what music you play and what you generally are looking for.
-what cables/cords/misc. shit? I'm not really sure, but I got over the cables and wires by experimenting. It isn't the best idea, but you're going to have to go with your hunch. When it comes to professional things, look at monster cables.
-does order matter? Yes, it does. Put the wah closest to the instrument and then distortion. Then the rest just depends on what you prefer.

I play emo, screamo, metalcore, any type of metal, classic rock, punk, and things like MUSE, Strokes, Metallica, and some others that don't matter. Also, don't say shit about the things i play, i choose what i play and it shouldn't matter if you think it's good or not.

I already have a Boss DS-2 and Digitech RP-80.

Things i know i need:
-metal distortion pedal - Metal Muff
-delay - Memory Man, Boss DD-20, or Line 6 DL4
-overdrive - Tubescreamer
-phaser or flanger (what's the difference?) - I can't describe the sound, but there's this thing in the forum announcement about how every effect sounds. For Phaser, look at a MXR Phase 90. Flangers aren't really needed, but I have a Boss BF-2, which you can get off of eBay (I bought it for $5 after I ripped some kid off).
-wah - Dunlop 535Q, Vox Clyde McCoy, Dime Wah, or a Weeping Demon. Try them all out
-chorus - Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (or stone I can't remember which one).
-acoustic - Don't use acoustic simulators. They suck. Go with a regular acoustic.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad.
Wah>RMC2 wah or RMC wizard wah. Cant go wrong.
Rig

Fender HSS Strat>Patchbay>PW Tuner
>535q>JNH>Deucetone Rat>MIJ BF2>Byoc Trem
>MIJ CE2>VisualVolume>DD6>Patchbay>Amp
Quote by Roc8995
Things i need to know:
as many as you want, really. You can't have too many pedals.

Yes, you can. Ever heard of tone sucking? If not, google for "true bypass", that should get you started.

It shouldn't be a problem, though, unless you start getting near 10 or so pedals.

Basically, when checking out pedals, try them together with whatever else you have. For instance, a Crybaby wah might sound sweet on its own, but when switched off it could suck the tone out of your guitar signal, making whatever pedal you have after it sound crap as well.

The Voodoo Power Pedal or the dunlop Brick both work well for any (almost) number of pedals, they sell daisy chains for them too. If you don't have too many pedals, and don't need to worry about noise (judging from your list that's not the case) you can get away with a one-spot and a daisy chain.

Do note, however, that daisy chaining pedals creates ground loops, which in turn means noise. Some pedals are more susceptible to this problem, so experiment. I know people who happily run their pedals off a regular wall wart and a daisy chain, and others for whom it simply isn't an option due to the noise.

For guaranteed noise-free operation, though, I'd recommend the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. Dunlop's DC Brick, I believe, is essentially a daisy chain in a fancy box, though I could be wrong there.

Quote by paintITblack39
So, you can't put a Big Muff and a DS-1 in the same daisy chain.

Sorry, but why not? Last I checked, they both needed 9VDC.
Unless you meant a Russian Big Muff, which doesn't have a DC input anyway.

Quote by dudey5691
Things i know i need:
-metal distortion pedal
Metal Muff
-delay
Line6 Echo Park, Boss DD-6
-overdrive
Ibanez Tubescreamer (TS-9 or TS-808, preferrably), Rocktron Austin Gold
-phaser or flanger (what's the difference?)
MXR Phase 90, EHX Small Stone
-wah
Vox Clyde McCoy, Rocktron Black Cat Moan
-chorus
EHX Small Clone
-acoustic
As in, simulator? Or for an acoustic guitar?
Last edited by indrek13 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by indrek13
Yes, you can. Ever heard of tone sucking? If not, google for "true bypass", that should get you started.

Ever heard of a pedal looper? You can have as many pedals on a board as you want as long as the chain is buffered properly and you have loops to keep them out of your chain. So really there's no limit. Sure, you won't want to have 200 pedals just because it will get too complicated, but there are many ways around tone suck.

www.loooper.com
Ah, so you do know what you're talking about.

Yes, a pedal looper (or preferably, a true bypass strip) would be one way around tone suckage. If you only have true bypass pedals, then a simple buffer in front of the chain (even tuners should do, though I haven't tried that myself) will work as well.

I wasn't saying that tone suckage was a brick wall you hit at a certain number of pedals. I merely pointed out a problem with your claim that you can have "as many [pedals] as you want".
A better rephrase would be 'You can have as many pedals as you want as long as you know how to deal with the tone suck.'

As far as using a tuner's buffer, unfortunatlely all the tuners I have used have a very poor buffer which won't do the job well. (The Peterson Strobostomp is the only tuner that won't suck tone - it's true bypass though, so no buffer.) Something like a Keeley mod Tubescreamer will work very well as it has an improved buffer.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DD6-Digital-Delay-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=151302
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-MM4-Modulation-Modeler-Pedal?sku=150381
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-V848-Clyde-McCoy-Wah-Wah-Pedal?sku=151688

You could try these out at any Guitar Center to hear how they sound and save a lot of money if you got them used/ebay. As for the metal distortion, what kind of tone are you after?
i'm pretty confident on buying the Digitech Metal Master...i'll be more sure after i go check it out at the shop out of town.

And possibly that Boss Digital Delay, it it fits what i play. It'll work very well with the fact we play "bleeds no more" by Silverstein, and that song requires one...so yeah, pretty sure.