Okay, after being self-taught for 2-3 years, I finally had my first guitar lesson today.

Let me just tell you what happened, I brought my guitar and and I met the guitar teacher; nice guy, pretty laid back. We enter the practice room and I take a seat, move my guitar case and it slips on a cord which went into one of his guitars and fell...okay, things just went down hill from there.

I seriously felt like I was a beginner, everything I did there was wrong, my form, my technique, everything. I seriously felt like all those years into guitar were just wasteful. But then again, it's practicing and getting out of bad habits.

We used this PRS which was alright and he had spider amps all over the place...it sort of made me cringe.

Honestly, It was not a good day and I made a horrible first impression of myself.

Anyone else have these days?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
cool now that ive read this i dun need to take my first lesson

p.s. from ur frist few lines it sound like u were abt to get molested or soemthign
loL
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by kwokwok

p.s. from ur frist few lines it sound like u were abt to get molested or soemthign
loL

wtf.....................not really......
i agree with the ps from kwokwok, also LINE 6 wow teacher=noob?, or just likes the effects. apparently my first teacher was on coke. one of my friends is his dealer. ( i just realised why he was always snorting and saying come on guys can't u FEEL the guitar)
mm maybe im jst twisted..

EDIT: lol thnx for the support
i think its cos of all the crap in the news nowadays
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Knocking over a guitar instructors axe is not a good first day...

That might have been his "baby" for all you know...

We all have a guitar like that. one that we can't live without.

My daughter plays Guitar and Bass, so on the occasions that she plays Bass, and is holding my main axe, you bet your ass she better better not ding it up.

and i LOVE her.
Gear:
Charvel/Jackson 3B Bass
Jackson CMG Bass
Ibanez BTB575FM 5-String Bass
Vintage 70s Ampeg V9 SVT/ Ampeg 8x10 Cab
Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster

Angelus Mortem
Quote by rcmaster0072002
i agree with the ps from kwokwok, also LINE 6 wow teacher=noob?, or just likes the effects. apparently my first teacher was on coke. one of my friends is his dealer. ( i just realised why he was always snorting and saying come on guys can't u FEEL the guitar)

Who gives a shit?

I don't honestly think the teacher cares that much about the tone. They're there to teach you.
^true... i'd think technique is more important to them than sound when they are teaching.. everyone developes what they like anyway... and u cant expect them to bring out some expensive amps for beginners to learn on
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

well maybe u need more coke pacifica cause i think u need to "FEEL" the guitar and not be a not nice word
ya well last year my parents wnted me to take guitar lessons but i didnt want to but they got some lady in my town to give me a free trial lesson to see if i like it. i got there an she was this 60 year old lady with a 12 string acoustic playing this really light fingeroicky stuff and we talked and she told me to do some stuff on my guitar. then outa nowhere she pulls out this........banjo and starts playing dueling banjos....and i played with her and she could play it all...like even the crazy fast part at the end and i was amazed...but i never went back because she teaches country wester guitar and i wanted to play rock...also i was at a party at my buddys house and he introduced me to this guy he knew who taught guitar....well let me tell you we jammed and i schooled him in just about everyhing...except fingerpicking...i had a laugh about that.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Vintage
Digitech RP 100A
Kustom Quad 100 DFX
Washburn D10S Deluxe (electric acoustic)
Quote by rcmaster0072002
well maybe u need more coke pacifica cause i think u need to "FEEL" the guitar and not be a not nice word

What?

I'm not rich enough to do coke.
they prob let u paly with the line6's cos they cant sell them.. LOL

rcmaster0072002, i cant even afford permanent markers
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Quote by rcmaster0072002

Line 6 gets a bad reputation. they have digital amps, which some people like, the effects are good, which some people like. some people like the tone of the Spider amps, some notable players who use those things are TOM MORELLO, and MARTY FRIEDMAN
Man, we all have days that are bad guitar wise.

Nothing like when you feel ontop of the world after just nailing whatever riff, be it fingerpicking or chugging backing guitar thats been dragging you down, only for a mate to come round and play 5 times better than you. It doesn't matter to you that they've played for 7 years or whatever, it's just that feeling of being beat.

You'll get over it and keep playing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
snowblind, my opinion is grow some ears. LINE 6 has terrible tone, their effects are fine for beginners and i don't care who uses an amp because they got sponsored by them
just stop thinking about whether or not your teacher likes you, he's there to help you first and foremost

My mind is going. I can feel it.
^unless ur teacher is hot and of the opposite sex
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Thats usually how it happens.. You think you are hot shit being self-taught but you go in there and get your ass handed by a professional.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

It's good that that happened, now you will be able to play comfortable for another guitar player.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Quote by Vanquish
Thats usually how it happens.. You think you are hot shit being self-taught but you go in there and get your ass handed by a professional.

You've just got to have an air of reality about it. No matter how much natural talent and how well you've progressed on your own, he's a teacher. He does it for a living and probably will have done for many years.

You could be an amazing guitarist for 2 years playing but against a 30 year playing veteran, all you've got over him is youthful verve.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
You've just got to have an air of reality about it. No matter how much natural talent and how well you've progressed on your own, he's a teacher. He does it for a living and probably will have done for many years.

You could be an amazing guitarist for 2 years playing but against a 30 year playing veteran, all you've got over him is youthful verve.

That is true.

And no, I don't think I"m "Hot shit!!!11! LAWLZ". Honestly, I think I'm doing OKAY for someone who has only played seriously for only a couple months now (i've quit guitar for the other months)

Crazy how this thread turned into a discussion on weed.

*edit*: Also, who uses "self taught" as a way for self-indulgence, that's just stupid. I regret not getting lessons from when I started and I still do now.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R