Page 1 of 2
What's everyone's opinion? I think I've been able to develope my technique and style quicker by teaching myself, I took lessons for nearly 2 years about 3 years ago and literally got no where with it. I know it could have been the teacher, but otherwise I've impressed myself with what I've learnt without a teacher. So, what worked best for you?
The only reason I'm self taught is because my dad didn't want to pay 20 bucks per hour for my lessons.
ive always been self taught... and still suk.. o wiat.. maybe thats y i stil suk!!ZOMD
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
A good teacher with a willing student will result in a faster, more efficient learning process.

More or less inarguable fact.
I'd say since you seem to have the basics down, go for it and get lessons. Then you can get fine tuned.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
20 bucks per hour??? i pay 15 bucks per half hour...

Gear:
Ltd Viper-1000 Deluxe
Shittone i mean silvertone revolver
Cube 60

Originally Posted by sendmeapick
you pick squires over gibsons?

thats like michael jackson over jessica alba
im self taught and i take a lesson anytime i get stuck or feel as though i hit a plateau, but the rest of the time i'm like why pay a schmuck for something i can do myself...taking a class in theory is much better than any lesson you'll get
ummm im self taught, yes it has caused me to learn a crapload faster than with a teacher, but with a teacher you can be sure you arent starting bad habits that'll kill you when you are older. also theory is a thing that is hard to teach yourself. i have learned some, but its not that great, and it be a lot clearer with a teacher.
I figure in due time I will get lessons. I'de rather give myself a good shot at it before I decide.
It just varies from person to person.

I feel I grow best from exploring the guitar on my own and then bringing it all together when I jam with my mates or band.

Whereas my bandmate, the backing guitarist, says that if he didn't have a guitar lesson everyweek, he wouldn't practise because he'd have nothing pushing him.

Just varies.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I'll say it again: If you are a willing student and you have a good teacher, you WILL learn faster than on your own.
jst watch a lot of videos in my opinion.. and spend ur time on UG at work
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Quote by Nick_
I'll say it again: If you are a willing student and you have a good teacher, you WILL learn faster than on your own.

Not necessarily, each person is different and learn at different paces. Me, I could learn fast, but I didn't really care for much of what they teach at first.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by _guitar_hero_
20 bucks per hour??? i pay 15 bucks per half hour...

I pay 17 for half an hour.

but I love every minute of it and it really helped me.

I know some people who say it "influences you and limits you" but if anything I think my lessons have expanded my playing.

My guitar teacher introduces me to more styles...otherwise I'd probably be playing nothing but grunge and rock.

I may have never found an interest in blues guitar, or jazz, or even shred (outside like... the general 80's glam rock "shredders")

I suggest you take them, if you feel it really istn helping you can quick anytime.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by SGStrummer61
Not necessarily, each person is different and learn at different paces. Me, I could learn fast, but I didn't really care for much of what they teach at first.

The key in my statement is a GOOD teacher and a WILLING student -

That means he knows what you want to learn and how to teach it effectively and you have the wherewithall to go home and practice.
i think that if u want to learn how to be good u will be

as for lessons vs. self taught i think u should take lessons until you've got the basics down
thats what i did

but there are some downsides to self taught because usually self taught guitarist can only play powerchords and then they're stuck doing that

i hate those self taught guitarist that brag about how they didnt have to take lessons and how they taught themselves and how they're so much better because of it
I definitely recommend a teacher. However, I wonder if having a teacher sometimes stifles the creative mind. Just like a theatre teacher who tries to mold their acting students into younger clones of themselves, I can see how a music trainer could do the same thing.
Get a good teacher. Seriously, I just took lessons today (first time basically) He taught me proper picking/strumming technique and it's making my playing alot more fluid.

Really though, it may take a while to get into since you're so used to YOUR method of playing, but in the long run, if you follow whatever your teacher tells you...then you'll be fine.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
20 $ an hour is cheap. The guy Im going to see is 50$ an hour, but he is probably one the best players/teachers in my state. my father is a drum teacher and he charges 20$/half hour.
Duct tape. I need it for... taping something.
I'm getting charged 20-25 bucks half an hour.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Self taught ftw.
I have been on 2 years and better than most of my friends who are paying $50 an hour.
People learn differently, some people need someone to explain things step by step while others can learn on their own. If you are wondering what you should do, try taking lessons for a month or two and see if you like it.

I teach myself stuff AND take guitar lessons.
I'm self taught, but i know ppl who are really good and they give me free pointers. Overall i'd say self taught is the way to go
Quote by Nick_

not true... like the guy said above you. it all varies on the person. im self taught and only been playing a yr and 2 months. ive played w. ppl thatve played 5yrs and have been in band in school. sadly to say i can out do some of them... i know my fair share of theory and im not an amatuer. altho, i am an amatuer w. guitar tech :/

if you wanna know the best way to learn. go out and jam w. as many ppl as possible. styles doesnt matter cause the more you can play the better variety. (:
well of course it varies from person to person.. with natural talent and how hard they practise

with all things equal though.. with or with out teacher?
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

I miss having a teacher.. while I'm still getting better, my teacher really expanded my musical knowledge into theory and whatnot.. what i mean is that you can get pretty good at soloing, playing songs, etc, but to really understand music it helps to have someone show you.
I've done both and I have to say that both have their advantages. Lessons from somebody gives you concrete stuff to work on in a concrete amount of time. Going by your own schedule might be detrimental especially if you're lazy by nature...or procrastinatory (if that's even a word) by nature. The advantage to teaching yourself if a development of your own style. When I was taking lessons I don't think I had my own style. It was similar to my teachers' styles, which is understandable. Since I stopped taking lessons I've been more free to try new and different things.
I've done both and I have to say that both have their advantages. Lessons from somebody gives you concrete stuff to work on in a concrete amount of time. Going by your own schedule might be detrimental especially if you're lazy by nature...or procrastinatory (if that's even a word) by nature. The advantage to teaching yourself if a development of your own style. When I was taking lessons I don't think I had my own style. It was similar to my teachers' styles, which is understandable. Since I stopped taking lessons I've been more free to try new and different things.

That's much true.

My teacher has been teaching me some essential things to know while playing, yet...his picking and fretting style is so akward, I mean--when doing a vibrato, his middle, ring and pinky finger flys up. He expects me to do the same...but I just can't! Too much pain. .

Also, he tells me to anchor on...which is also uncomfortable. This isn't really style wise, but more on the technique wise.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I was self taught and im an ok player
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by alxthexkiller33
not true... like the guy said above you. it all varies on the person. im self taught and only been playing a yr and 2 months. ive played w. ppl thatve played 5yrs and have been in band in school. sadly to say i can out do some of them... i know my fair share of theory and im not an amatuer. altho, i am an amatuer w. guitar tech :/

if you wanna know the best way to learn. go out and jam w. as many ppl as possible. styles doesnt matter cause the more you can play the better variety. (:

Way to miss my point entirely - I'm saying that had you been taking decent instruction, YOU would have learned faster and with less problems
I'm self taught and I think it does take a little longer to grasp the basics but I'm glad I did. A mate of mine had plenty of lessons and is actually quite good but he is the one who encouraged me to do it my way. He taught me the few basics I neeeded then gave little input. In his opinion if you take lessons from someone you inherit their style, do it your way and you create your own.

I don't think you need lessons to become a great guitarist though, I can't say for most guitarists but I read that Slash only had one lesson, he had trouble with some Tom Petty song and just wanted help with that, I doubt whether Hendrix had many lessons either. At the end of the day if you have an ear for music you will know when what you play sounds good or not.
Find a good teacher and take lessons. Preferably one who has a degree in music, so you can learn all the theory and everything.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I bought "Guitar For Dummies", and laugh at it if you will, but that book, me being only a few chapters in, has helped my so very much! It has theory, exercises, the reading keeps you interested and it covers almost anything you're going to want to know about guitar until you reach a point where, you feel superior and could use someone telling you "Nope! You got a lot to learn bud! Let me show you!".

I reccomend this book, although I'm still not that great at guitar, but that is my fault for not practicing as much as I should have. I am starting to get into it a bit more now.

Read a book!
With a good teacher, you cut out the trial and error proccess in learning allowing you to focus on improving dynamics - it's generally much quicker.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I am a self taught player. Growing up my parents couldn't afford lessons. I became pretty good being just self taught. Now I can afford it, so for the last year I decided to start taking lessons. There are things (technique and theory) that a self taught player either will have a more difficult time learning or won't learn (because they don't know and nobody is there to tell them) by themselves. I agree one problem with lessons is that you need to find your own sound, and sometimes taught players all sound like thier teacher. But anyone who is devote enough to teach themselves, won't settle with just learning what the teacher says. You learn from the teacher while also continueing to teach yourself, and use both to create your own style. And you have a teacher to ask questions if you get stuck on something (instead of spending hours on end on the internet, in books, or watching videos trying to find the answer, and then hoping that it is explained well enough for you to figure it out).

I don't see how lessons can't help.
In 2 years I ahve a friend who is techincally better than someone who's been taking lessons for 6 years. However the fact he plays 3 other instrument and therefore knows his theory probably helped him a lot.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
if you ask me id say self taught is better because you get to start yourself off with whatever you want to play (if its not to hard) the only reason i self thaught myself was becasue there was noone to go 2 and im happy i thaught myself no that i think about it
Find yourself...just start smelling!
Page 1 of 2