this is pretty lame, but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own... but just please... someone... simply explain how to do a pinch or artificial harmonic on a freaking electric guitar... ((I'm probably going to get ridiculed for asking this))
Tragic... stupidity!
the only people that would make fun of you for this are dicks who are too pompous to help people out.

basicly you slide your finger up your pick !SLIGHTLY! and strike the string !SLIGHTLY! with the meat of your thumb.

it's really hard to explain with words, it's much easier to have someone show you.
check out www.cyberfret.com...and look into harmonics and stuff. this is where i learnt. it has good instructions and technique and some videos to show you. basically it is striking the string with ur thumb and pick at the same time over a harmonic hot spot...which will be somewhere from on ur neck pickup to in bw ur bridge and neck pickup. it takes a bit of experimentation and time to learn so e patient coz the result is some awesome pinch squels!!! fun fun
try picking a lower string so that it rings longer

put your thumb close to it, maybe over the middle of your pickup area, but don't touch it

then while the string is still vibrating, bend it so you have better leverage and can just barely let the string touch your thumb, and it should squeal... i think once you get that then you'll know how to do them on any string

if it's not working, try picking the string at different places over the pickup area
Crank up your distortion. Try it on the G-string first, since it's the easiest.

Hold your pick in a way that the tip of the pick is very close to the edge of your thumb. Strike the string quickly with your pick and a bit of your thumb striking the string as well.

Use lots of vibrato to get a better effect.
- Musician search network, online music community, forums, articles, and more.
pinch harmonics just practice, hold the pick so just the tip is showing and when you hit a string, immediately follow the pick with your thumb. at first youll probably **** up and mute the string but keep trying to you get the feel for it.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
You need to leave about a mm or so between the edge of the plectrum and the edge of your thumb, then, as detailed above, strike the string with the plectrum then instantly, the edge of the thumb.

It's hard to explain and it'll just take lots of practise to get it right.

There's quite a few factors afterall.

1) You need to be holding the plectrum right

2) You need to get the motion of striking then touching with the thumb

3) You need to know where to strike the string with the fret depending on what fret you want to pinch.

My advice is to try and pinch the 8th fret on the G first, it's a good place to start. Good luck
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
So do you need a whammy bar for this effect? Ive always wondered if I could do it on my LP.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
No whammy is required :P, just vibrato with your fingers. Of course, it's better with a whammy :P
Yeah, you can make some crazy noises with a whammy, but they aren't needed at all.

Whammy + Pinch Harmonic = (Generally) 80's Shred Cheese

Which, don't get me wrong, is excellent.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Figure it out. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's something you need to just get the hang of, there's no easy way to learn it.
Dickless.
I think what helped me learn pinch harmonics was actually a video of Satch going through a couple quick lessons. I don't remember the link (which apparently means I'm of no help at all), but I remember that it was on Google Video. He was using a silver guitar I think :P That's all I remember, sorry haha, but if you can find it, perhaps it'll help you, too :P
Oh ya, I just got it. Man thats weird. Doesnt even make that great of a sound (at least for me). I get more buzz from my amp than anything. And to make matters worse, my bro is freaking out on me.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Kurapica

Whammy + Pinch Harmonic = (Generally) 80's Shred Cheese

The best of all