as the title suggests, im looking into a hard rock/metal amp...somthing in the price range of $300-$700. my biggest competitor is a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package...any other suggestions?
haven't personally played the Marshall MG halfstack, but I've heard nothing but bad things about it. just because it says "Marshall" on it doesn't mean it's good.

for your range, I would definetely look at a 1X12 or 2X12 combo amp, all tube. if you're going metal/hard rock check on ebay for a Peavey XXX combo, that may be up your alley. also, the Peavey Valveking is built for the hard rock/light metalish sound. a lot of people bash it on here, but there are some true believers out there.

best idea is to go to a guitar shop and play until you've found one you like, and then go online and try to get it cheap.
The Marshall MG suck every type of penis there is. They sound bad quiet, they sound even worse cranked. Look at the XXX or Valveking. You could also check out the Roland Cube 60. Yes, it's solid-state, but it's an excellent practice amp.

For tube, look into the Laney GH50L. I got mine off ebay for $400 ($50 s/h extra), and my cabinet for about the same. If you look for a decent cabinet, I'm sure you can find one for about $300.

My Laney is a monster, by the way. It's the quintessential metal/rock amp, if what you want is warm, articulate tube tone, but you don't want to be messing around with knobs, channels and EQ's all day long.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Look at Ashdown Fallen Angels or used Marshall DSL401, JCM900, or JCM800
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
The Marshall MG suck every type of penis there is. They sound bad quiet, they sound even worse cranked. Look at the XXX or Valveking. You could also check out the Roland Cube 60. Yes, it's solid-state, but it's an excellent practice amp.

For tube, look into the Laney GH50L. I got mine off ebay for $400 ($50 s/h extra), and my cabinet for about the same. If you look for a decent cabinet, I'm sure you can find one for about $300.

My Laney is a monster, by the way. It's the quintessential metal/rock amp, if what you want is warm, articulate tube tone, but you don't want to be messing around with knobs, channels and EQ's all day long.

Got any sound clips?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Used jcm 800.

Nuff' said . That or a jcm 900, what bands are you in to?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i like A7X, trivium, Protest the hero, as i lay dying, older atreyu, all that remains, the autum offering, the fall of troy, darkest hour, black label society, bleeding through, and coheed and cambria
I'd say Valveking, but you'd probably need something to boost the overdrive, it's not very heavy. Maybe Peavey XXX?
Used XXX combo. Used 5150/6505 combo. JCM900. Ashdown Fallen Angel. B-52 AT series. ...etc. Theres tons of awesome used amps out there for cheap, just gotta look.

The Fall of Troy pwns too. Laces out Dan is the best song.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Used XXX combo. Used 5150/6505 combo. JCM900. Ashdown Fallen Angel. B-52 AT series. ...etc. Theres tons of awesome used amps out there for cheap, just gotta look.

The Fall of Troy pwns too. Laces out Dan is the best song.

Hey man did you get my PM? I asked you about your JCM900, but I don't know if you got it or never messaged me back or what. If you didn't get it, how is your JCM900? Can it do metal by itself or does it need a boost? How much did you pay for it? Got any soundclips?
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
Hey man did you get my PM? I asked you about your JCM900, but I don't know if you got it or never messaged me back or what. If you didn't get it, how is your JCM900? Can it do metal by itself or does it need a boost? How much did you pay for it? Got any soundclips?

Hey yeah dude I just checked it. Ill PM ya.

Quote by kurdtkobaign
Hey yeah dude I just checked it. Ill PM ya.

Thanks
-Jimi Hendrix
used Peavey 5150? That's what atreyu used to use (still does i think?). Anyway, i dont really like Marshall's for tones on the bands your looking at, but im not a big marshall fan overall so don't take my word for it. Anyway most of the stuff has been mentioned that i'd sugguest, a valveking wouldn't be heavy enough for your needs tho

Peavey 5150 or 6505(used), B-52 AT, Ashdown Fallen Angel, the Laney mentioned above
I have a Valveking, and IMO, it does have enough gain for hard rock/some metal. I see you like A7X and Coheed and Cambria, and I think I can get pretty good tones for both of those bands out of my VK. If I had some decent sound clips I'd post em, but the only ones I have have shitty recording quality and wouldn't give you a good idea of what it really sounds like.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.