I currently have a Yamaha CG-170SA with a hard case that I have had since 2003 (bought it from a friend). I like it, but I really want a Martin Acoustic, so I am thinking about selling it.

I am curious first... should I save up because this guitar sounds good, and is worth keeping and keep 2 guitars?

Or... should I go ahead and sell it so I can get my Martin faster?

It is mostly in really good shape with a couple dings here and there. What should I expect to get from it, and is there anybody out there interested?

I will post pictures if anybody is interested.
Last edited by floggingwilly at Jan 30, 2007,
i have a martin, they are good, but check out taylor and ovation stuff too
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
I do like Ovations too... but I have only seen them and never played... I will definatly play a few before I settle on one. I have a friend that has a Martin I really like, so that is where this all started.
yeah def check out the ovations, and dont get a hybrid, do yourself a favor a get a plain old acoustic from martin, taylor, ovation, cuz they electric acoustic guitars sound shitty.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
i would go try out some Martins at your local guitar store. if you love the sound and think you would rather have that sound than your current sound, sell the old acoustic. however, if you can wait to save some money, i would. you can never have too many guitars.
What Martin are you looking at getting?
Are you looking for another classical guitar or a steel string guitar?
Dunno about the classical guitars that Martin make, but with they're steel string guitars, they're low end guitars are shit compared to other companies offerings for the same price.
Same thing with Taylor, both make good stuff in the high end, but shit in the low end.
How much are you willing to spend?
i would save up for a martin - d35, and then sell your other guitar. The d35 is an amazing guitar. Johnny Cash used it on his last 5 albums
If I had the couple thousand dollars needed to get a martin thats worth it's money...
I'd just go to a luthier and get a handmade guitar instead.
Martins are really amazing if you buy the 1200+ models but if you want a freaking amazing guitar that sound just as good for a lot better price, play a Breedlove. BTW I wouldn't be worried about selling that Yamaha, doesn't sound like you'll be getting much from it.
Don't forget to check out Tanglewood. Cracking guitars, seriously. I got mine a right bargain, especially for a completely solid guitar (ie. not laminate).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Freddedonna
Get a Takamine.

You won't regret it

yes, yes you will...
Tommy Emmanuel C.G.P = The Man

Quote by civildp1
wouldn't it be awesome if you pulled a girls panties off and she smelled like cake?

Quote by SupremeACL
My mom used to fart a lot. It sucked.
Martins are great, in my opinion Takamines are overrated. I have a Martin, but check out like Ovations and Taylor, it's a preference thing.
DANCE BITCH!!
Quote by blacklp
yeah def check out the ovations, and dont get a hybrid, do yourself a favor a get a plain old acoustic from martin, taylor, ovation, cuz they electric acoustic guitars sound shitty.

if it wasnt for the the pick up in ovations, theyd be the worst guitars ever
martin's are very nice guitars. but you have to remember you are paying not only for the craftsmanship and tone and what not but also for the name on the headstock same with taylor. granted i think its worth it but not necessarily for your second guitar. i would look at some breedlove's if i were you. for the price of a lower end martin you can get a very nice breedlove. i played out at my GC the other day and was blown away when compared to some taylors of the same caliber. but its all up to you and ur ear and what u want to play and how much ur willing to spend. best of luck to you
I talked to my guitar guru at work today... he has more guitars and guitar playing experience than I will ever have. He absolutely loves his Martin, and says stay away from the Takamine. They are ok on the highs but lack the depth on mids and lows. I appreciate all the advice though... I'll post again when I go to the music store.
Martins are nice guitars, and i prefer them over Ovations and Taylors, but yeah also check out breedlove and higher end alvarez guitars (the more expensive ones are damn good for the price)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by floggingwilly
I talked to my guitar guru at work today... he has more guitars and guitar playing experience than I will ever have. He absolutely loves his Martin, and says stay away from the Takamine. They are ok on the highs but lack the depth on mids and lows. I appreciate all the advice though... I'll post again when I go to the music store.

The same can be said for the low and mid priced martins. Just play as many guitars as you can from all different brands and price ranges. Then decide on the one you like best.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
I love the sounds that come from Ovation guitars, Really makes me wish I bought one instead of the Fender I have.

Martins are fantastic guitars too.
Check out Guild and Washburn. I own guitars by both brands and they are very good.
My gear:
-Fender Jaguar HH
-Fender Fat Strat
-Guild GAD-G212
-Washburn D33S
-Vox AC30CC1 tube amp
-Vox 847 wah
-EH Big Muff
-EH Double Muff
-EH POG
-EH Small Clone
i like breed loves cheaper too