Alrighty, hello everyone.

As stated, I'm looking for a good guitar on a budget for classic/vintage rock
and occasionally some (not so) hard rock. Think Queen for classic stuff and
Guns N' Roses for more hard stuff.

As nice as it would be, I can't afford a good Gibson Les Paul yet, but so should
you keep in mind that the Les Paul is basically my reference-point tone-wise.

Being mainly a surf/blues Strat player, I can say that a beefed up Stratocaster
is out of question, 'cause it won't sound right (bright wood, bolt-on neck, etc.)

Then there is ESP LTD EC series, but I heard that they're to sharp for bluesy
rock and are best suited for metal. Same thing with Schecter guitars. Ibanez?
Ibanez is surely an interesting bit, however something tells me that it is also
a metal's territory. I mean, progressive rock/shred plus crazy Floyd Rose tricks
are surely a kewl thing, but it ain't exactly true ballsy rock n' roll, huh?

And so it leads me to the PRS SE. Especially the single cut model with a fixed bridge.
So what I would gladly hear from you is:

· Your take on my logical elimination of other brands for my needs.
· Your (extended) opinion about the PRS SE Single Cut.
· Your take on whether this particular PRS is the best thing after an LP I can't afford.

Now thank all of you very much in advance!
I hope this thread will help anybody else who's after a tasteful rock tone on a budget.

Cheers and rock on!

P.S. I'm playing through a full tube, yes sir.
If the PRS SE is in your price range, get it. It sounds like it's exactly what you need. Or if you need another suggestion, maybe an Epiphone Les Paul. But the PRS SE sounds like what you need.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Arent PRS like a 1000$ american? I saw Gibson Les Paul Studios (they look sooo nice) on Musicians friends for 999, but i guess you cant get from there in Germany. Anyways Ive heard good things about PRS here on UG, but I have no personal experience other than they look really nice
Epiphone Joe Perry Les Paul. Great guitar for $800 new, $500 used off ebay, you wont be sorry. Ive played it next to several gibson's and i like my Joe Perry just as much. Plus the finish is swweeeet
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Hmmm, well I've tried an epi les paul and frankly it felt a bit toyish. Not quite sure how to describe it but it felt cheap. Really cheap. I havn't tried a PRS SE singlecut but i did try an SE custom and it was wonderful from what i could tell. I couldn't get a good feel for it though because it was stringed with .09's and i use .11's.
you might wanna give the Ibanez S series a try. Most use them for metal, but I actually find it has great cleans, as my band has covered Vaughan, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd. We also do some heavy stuff and its great for that too. Its seriously a pretty versatile guitar. Just a suggestion though. And if you swapped the buckers out if you got one with a H-S-H config, you could drop in duncans or dimarzios or wutever, coil tap them, install a 7 way pickup selector and have an all in one supermachine. try out the s470dxqm, bout 620$ or sumthing like that.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
What is your budget?

There is nothing wrong with the ESP EC series if you get the model with the Duncan's instead of the EMG's it will work great for classic rock.

Also, an Epi les paul might work?
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Epiphone LPs are good but go with the PRS if its in your range

also check out the Ibanez RGs for their fretboard's great and LPs are nothing compaired to a strats fretboard i found that out when i switched
Quote by nasstyman
i don't do drugs but i fook like a pronstar and i drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney....
Last edited by Newdawn at Mar 5, 2007,
Play the Joe Perry, it doesn't feel "toyish"
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Epi LP
PRS SE (any really they're all the same in principal)
Epi SG Explorer or V (again all pretty simalar just the shapes are different)
Fender Mexican Double Fat Strat, Fat strat or doubel Fat tele, there are a good few classic rock people who use guitars like these, and nearly all of them use them at least once in the studio.
I'd get an Ibanez S470 and change the pickups to Seymour Duncan PAF Humbuckers and an Alnico II Pro single coil in the middle.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
O.K. heres my oppinion...you may or may not like it

Gibson Faded SG Special

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

yeah thats what i'm using right now and i love it. It has great action right and gets a good classic rock tone and a nice crunch when turned on right out of the box. A pick up change may be in order down the road but it's well worth the money, in my oppinion. Its like $80 more than the prs but could be worth it, if your able go down to a music store and check it out...
My Rig...

Guitars:
2003 Ovation Collectors Series
Custom U.S.A. Parts Strat
Gibson SG Faded Special

Amps:
Crate V50 112
Fender Sidekick Reverb 65

Fx:
Boss CH-1
Boss CS-3
Boss DS-1
Boss NS-2
Original Crybaby
Quote by Infamous
O.K. heres my oppinion...you may or may not like it

Gibson Faded SG Special

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

yeah thats what i'm using right now and i love it. It has great action right and gets a good classic rock tone and a nice crunch when turned on right out of the box. A pick up change may be in order down the road but it's well worth the money, in my oppinion. Its like $80 more than the prs but could be worth it, if your able go down to a music store and check it out...

i disagree 100%. Faded gibsons have horrible quality control. Ive played some that were crap and others that were still not as decent as my epiphone sg 400

i would go agile before i would ever go gibson faded.
As for the PRS, ive never played the single cutaway. A few years ago i played the santana se and remember it being a decent guitar.
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
i Have a PRS SE Santane II, and i LOVE IT! Definately get one, it's well worth it. They play great, look great and sound great. You won't regret it.

Also you won't have a guitar that everyone else has. (LP)
The Tremonti SE is a monster and $100 less than the singlecut SE. If you can do without the brightness of the maple top, then go that route. It also has the traditional LP control setup. But either way, I have to back the PRS Singlecut or Tremonti SE in this case....they are monster guitars for the price and outplay just about everything in this price bracket.
Quote by wonder725
Hmmm, well I've tried an epi les paul and frankly it felt a bit toyish. Not quite sure how to describe it but it felt cheap. Really cheap.

I've actually thought that about all the PRS SEs other than the Singlecut/Tremonti.

What is your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I think i've decided on a Greco les paul copy. I've heard that they're really great and comparable to Gibsons. They go for around $500 on ebay.
I like the PRS Santana.. I would recommend one of those lawsuit les pauls(Yamaha, Greco, Tokai, Ibanez, etc.) if you're really looking for an LP tone. Trust me, there was a reason why those brands were sued for making LP copies. If you're lucky, there are some on ebay. Just gotta look hard
Quote by ledroses23
you might wanna give the Ibanez S series a try. Most use them for metal, but I actually find it has great cleans, as my band has covered Vaughan, Hendrix, and Pink Floyd. We also do some heavy stuff and its great for that too. Its seriously a pretty versatile guitar. Just a suggestion though. And if you swapped the buckers out if you got one with a H-S-H config, you could drop in duncans or dimarzios or wutever, coil tap them, install a 7 way pickup selector and have an all in one supermachine. try out the s470dxqm, bout 620$ or sumthing like that.

hmm, not bad but maybe an SZ or SA would suit him even better?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eg_page_2007.php?AREA_ID=2&PAGE_ID=397&COLOR=CL01&MODEL_NO=SZ520QM not sure how that would go with your price range, probably not too much but still i have no idea how much it might cost ya
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Mar 7, 2007,
i have the same problem as the threadstarter....exact same situation and all... i am leaning towards the lp studio does it perform well as a classic/vintage rock guitar?

btw i tried the prs se cuz i was considering it before, and personally they sound great and look great but it feels like sopmthin is missing, probably the fact that they r flat-tops..it just makes it feel more like a "toy" cuz the other prs and lps are not flat tops.
~Good Music Never Dies~

~Rock On!~

Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
are there any marshall tube amps?

Quote by myMesa8mybrain
Gibson Faded Flying V was sex in guitar form.

Quote by boredretard
i once went to a shop and bought a squier
I bought a PRS SE Single cut in black, and couldn't be happier. It feels good, and sounds great either clean or distorted through my Roland Cube. I shelled out the few extra bucks to get the PRS SE because I didn't trust the Epiphone LP quality control (and I would rather put my money into South Korean stuff than Chinese anyday).