Page 1 of 2
strat vs. les paul

not which is better in certain genres
which is better period?
if u had to pick one

im not thinking about buying a new guitar i just wanna find out what people think
les paul.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
Strats have a better clean sound. But, Les Pauls have good clean and distortion, while the Strat's distortion sucks.

I personally hate Strats. I think they are ass ugly and way overused. I love Les Pauls.
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Strats have a better clean sound. But, Les Pauls have good clean and distortion, while the Strat's distortion sucks.

I personally hate Strats. I think they are ass ugly and way overused. I love Les Pauls.

Agreed.
Personally i like the strats, mostly because of the cleans, and they way they sound with a nice blues distortion. On the other hand anything heavier requires in my mind a les paul with humbuckers....or at least something without single coils.
Completely unagreed. And your topic is so unique, Ive never seen any topic like this before. Hurray for originality!

And on a side note: Strats kick all a$s
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
whats the freaking price difference???
standard gibson les paul is like... $1.9k
standard fender stratocaster is... $400...
yea... and if u compare the $2,000 ones, strats are better imo.
cuz hey $2000 would get u an Eric Clapton Strat. or just get 4 more standard strats with different specs.
so Strats.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by HeartInACage
Completely unagreed. And your topic is so unique, Ive never seen any topic like this before. Hurray for originality!

And on a side note: Strats kick all a$s

yeah i know
It's pretty even. LPs might be more iconic because they're higher end. But strats are better because they're accessible to everyone, and they're faster. (light body, acces to high frets)
I'd say perfect tie.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
cuz hey $2000 would get u an Eric Clapton Strat. or just get 4 more standard strats with different specs.
so Strats.

First off, standard strats, or the mexican made strats, are terrible. 400 is an expensive squier. Now they boosted the price and detailed the "standard" strats and are going for 1000 easy now. in 03 i bought an american strat for about 1k (sunburst) and i decided to mod it a bit, put some hot noiseless pickups, LSR roller nut, some new springs, and new tunning machines to keep it from going out of tune. its a great guitar im not going to lie.

then in 05 i bought a standard gibson LP with a 50's neck for 2.1k... the sound does not compare, the sound of a humbucker is so much more over powering than a single coil. Remember the only thing that made strats big were the tremelo system (no more bigsby) also the wood and craftsmanship of my LP is alot better than the strat.

in fairness i like them both, but if i had to chose itd have to be my les paul.

oh ya... why would you want to get a signature model? that clapton strat is terrible.... v neck, noiseless pickups... thats pretty much all there is to it.
How about a more precise question, like. Which of the 400 dollar guitars are better.

Fender Standard Strat OR
Epiphone LP Standard
Standard strat (MIM) is comparable to the American strat in most ways. I say strat wins in the Epi vs standard strat category, and if you were to get an HH strat, i believe it would be better than a les paul. They are heavy and idk. goofy
Fender Strat Roland Ready Edition
Martin D-16GT Acoustic
Fender Cyber Twin Amp
Marshall G50R CD Amp
My Myspace Music
I love them both so much

I perfer the les paul for heavier rock/metal, and I like the strats for cleaner tones or the beautiful neck pickup sound for leads.
I'm stuck between these two. I love the cleans on Strats, and I can get good distotion out of them, but Les Paul's have good cleans and kickass distortion. Also, on Strats it's easier to get to the high frets, adn the neck isn't so big. But I love the warm sound and finishes on Les Pauls.

Starts are better for blues, classic rock, and stuff like that, whereas the Les Paul's handle hard rock/metal and stuff generally heavy all round better.
They're very different.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Both different but Strats.

Cheaper, easier to reach higher frets, more versatile, lighter, can have thousands of different looks so can have the look to suit any person/genre, if you arent a fan of singles you don't need to change the whole guitar to put a humbucker or a P90 or whatever in there.

Plus I generally don't like the "Slab of mahogany with two humbuckers" guitars cos you cant really get much out of them, they're better fitted for Rythm playing cos of their fatter necks and simple design, also the single cut makes it harder to reach the higher frets.
There is no comparison, really. They are designed for different styles. I have always preferred (and would choose) the les paul over the strat because of the gorgeous looks, fat chunky tone and wood quality. However the ultimate blues tone has to go to the strat and tele's. The price is so different for a reason...
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
I like both qualities to both of them, but i prefer the les paul.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
*plays hardcore with a strat *

I loved the design of strats when I got my first guitar, didn't care too much for the les pauls. Now I like the looks of les pauls better though..and it'll probably fit my genre better too.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Les Pauls, Strats have those horrible alder bodies which I can't stand, then they're bolt on too. Where as Les Pauls are mahogany, set neck, and feel a lot better, they just look better also. It all comes down to preference, in which the Les Paul shits on the Strat.
Hey guys, I like apples, I think oranges are ugly and overused

yer

BOLT-ONS ARE JUST AS GOOD AS SET NECKS

had to get that in too
Les pauls. They distort better and play better. I also like the feel of the neck more. Though for somethings a strat isssss better. But in general I prefer a les paul.
All guitars have their merits and really cannot be compared. I think you should take a look at Eric Johnson and how he chooses a guitar for a particular tone on a song. He's started changing guitars more frequently from Les Paul to Strats to Vs and to SGs and 335s...all have a different tonality and are selected to suit the piece that's being played.
I'm not a gibby fan. If I had the choice of an american dlx strat or an LP standard worth about twice as the strat (On the basis that I couldn't sell it.) I would take the strat.
They feel so much better and are so much more versatile.
Saying that I dislike MIM strats.
if i had to choose, id choose the strat.
so that i could smash it, and throw it in a fireplace, then go home and play my LP.

and whats with all this versatility bullshit? LPs can do anything those single coils can do and more. especially with coil splits.
i very much dislike strats and anything to do with them if you can tell...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Last edited by danzig-_- at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by beckyjc
I'm not a gibby fan. If I had the choice of an american dlx strat or an LP standard worth about twice as the strat (On the basis that I couldn't sell it.) I would take the strat.
They feel so much better and are so much more versatile.
Saying that I dislike MIM strats.

Be creative!! If you like strats, then you could get the LP, sell it for 2 grand, then go buy the Strat of your dreams and still have money left.
Les Pauls are better (duh).
My current rig:
Samick Strat
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox DA-5
Samick 80 watts amp (Doesn't sound good though)
Zoom 505
Boss DS-2
:stickpoke
Well, in my case I would get the Strat, sell it and buy an epiphone Les Paul LOL i would prefer that
Half these "LPs are better" are turned off strats cos of their beginner guitars and i was like that til i played an american strat and now i'm in love with them, i' f i can afford i'll get one.
Quote by CyAC
Be creative!! If you like strats, then you could get the LP, sell it for 2 grand, then go buy the Strat of your dreams and still have money left.

Re-read my post you dolt.

(On the basis that I couldn't sell it.)
We get this stupid thread every freaking day. Now just stop it. We should make it a rule that there should be no more comparing strats and LPs. Its all opinion. And they are better in their own genre. Strats are better for cleans, LP better for distortion.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I prefer strats, simply becausewith an lp youre pretty much stuck with the sound Mr.LesPaul intended for it, but with a strat you can do anything!

Just listen to people who uses the lp (Slash, Jimmy Paige, etc.) it sounds pretty much the same. Then listen to people who uses strats (Johnny Fru, the maiden threesome, etc.) theres alot more difference there.

And to you guys who say that you cant get a good distortion out of a strat, you are idiots, there i said it.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
Epi LP's >MIM Strats

American Strats > Gibson LP's

And like, The midrange Gibson and Fenders ar about equeal, For instance:

Gibson SG Special Faded = 60's Strat or Showmaster Strat
CTHC
Les Pauls suck big ones. They feel so akward when you hold them. They DO sound good but they still suck. Strats are by far the way to go and always will be. They just feel so great when you hold them. The clean sound is amazing too. Henrix, Kurt Cobain, and John Frusicante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers all play strats.......THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
STRATS ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm tired of people posting yet another strat vs les paul post. Why would you ever be comparing one to the other anyway? They play differently, and sound different. If you want to do a fender V Gibson comparison, at least give us a similar product eg comparing the LP to an HH telecaster or a Toranado. I can't think of an SSS guitar from gibson off the top of my head, but they probably make something more suitable for comparing to a strat.

I guess this is another threadstarter who's only ever heard of two different guitars. I think I'll start a more original poll.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by ECistheBest
so Strats.
get epiphone then god theyre the same thing epiphone is like 400 dollars for a really really good guitar
Quote by BreakingTheGirl
Epi LP's >MIM Strats

American Strats > Gibson LP's

And like, The midrange Gibson and Fenders ar about equeal, For instance:

Gibson SG Special Faded = 60's Strat or Showmaster Strat

It all depends what kind of LP we're talking about here, say a Les Paul custom, or a Standard. It's no competition that the Les Paul would win.
well, would SRV have sounded better with a LP? would slash be better with a strat? no on both counts, cos the guitars they have suit their playing styles. i personally prefer strats because LPs dont feel right to me, and i can get more emotive sounds out of a strat.
Page 1 of 2