Ok, so I got a new set of JJ tubes, and plugged them in to my Jcm800 2204. So, I make sure all the tubes are snug, put covers back on. Plug in the power cable, BUT NOT THE SPEAKER CABLE (I didn't know this at first). So after having it in standby, I turn that off to play. The tubes had a light bluish glow to them, so I though "good!" But I keep looking for a cable I thought was unplugged.
I try turning the master volume to 6

Then, I turn around and see a flash come from the back of the amp.

Shiit I'm thinking.

So I plug in the speaker cable, standby, turn off, power on, standby off, Nothing. at all.

So I try reinstalling the old tubes (Sovteks), plug in everything, nothing. no volume at all.
The tubes still glow when on, but one of my old power tubes would have a purple glow, now it doesn't. With my old ones too, I would sometimes forget the speaker cable, but nothing would happen.

I'm probably gonna take it to a tech, but does anybody have an idea what I did? Did I kill my amp? Blow a fuse or something? Help.
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Pray that it was a fuse, because the other option is that you fried your output transformer. That's expensive. Good luck.
I'm hoping it was a fuse, how much would it be to have it fixed, and how much would the output transformer fixed?

worst part is, I have a gig Saturday
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
The transformer itself is about $150 for a 100W (a bit less for a 50w), and then installation, so figure around 200.
It sounds like the output transfomer is cooked. I know you don't want to hear that, but that's what it sounds like. I know Roc8995 already told you that, just wanted to throw in another opinion. Pluggin into an amp that isn't connected to a speaker and playing is like holding your nose when you sneeze. You might get lucky a few times, but eventually you'll do some damage.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
I looked at the fuses, but how would I know if they're blown?
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
The fuses should have a little strip of metal down the middle of them. If that strip is broken, the fuse is blown.

Well I've done that plenty of times before, but nothing ever happened. But I suppose you're right.

Guess I shouldn't hold my nose when I sneeze too...
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
There's a 500 mA one, which has a little wire in it, not in the middle, but it's there
the other, a 3amp one, has the metal piece in it
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
I've done it on accident before, but like I said, you can get lucky and nothing bad happens.

If the fuses are still in operating condition, then it's probably the output transformer. You should take it to a tech as soon as possible.

Last edited by Merge at Jan 31, 2007,
So does that mean the 500mA fuse is not blown? It's not connected on each side, but it's in there. Also, then is there anyway to test if fuses are operable besides just looking at them?
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
From what you're saying, it seems like the fuses aren't blown. I know there's a way to test fuses, but for the life of me I can't remember how to do it. My advice is to take it to a qualified tech. If it's something basic or something technical, he'll be able to tell you. Did you replace your amp's preamp tube??

UPDATE

well, looking at the 500mA fuse more closely, it does look blown, there's nothing in it but a brown strip on the side and a ball of ...something not too far on the side also. My dad looked at it and also thought it was blown. Yes, I did replace the preamp tubes too, but also put the old ones back in too.
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
I'd replace the fuses and see what happens. It might fix it, it might not, but it's a good place to start. BTW, I tried sending you a PM, and your inbox is full. You need to clean it out, lol. I wanted to know if you use yahoo messenger.

Cleaned out my inbox, but don't have a yahoo messenger account

I'm gonna replace the fuses tomorrow, but if nothing, just get it checked out.

Luckily too, my friend (who I'm gigging with) said his dad would let me borrow his amp, which just happens to be a Mesa Stilleto
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
Last edited by Guitarist X at Jan 31, 2007,
I thought it might be quicker if you had one of the messengers. Replacing the fuses isn't a lot of trouble and it's not expensive.

Yeah, I figured, but thanks for all the help merge, I'll contact you if I ever do somehting like that again
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50

BIG
No problem, us Creed fans have to stick together, lol. Once you get your amp working again, stop back in and post what the problem was.

Quote by Guitarist X
Cleaned out my inbox, but don't have a yahoo messenger account

I'm gonna replace the fuses tomorrow, but if nothing, just get it checked out.

Luckily too, my friend (who I'm gigging with) said his dad would let me borrow his amp, which just happens to be a Mesa Stilleto

Wait, you bust your amp, and you get to play on a Stiletto?
I hate you.

All joking aside, Fuses are a best bet to check first, then an OT. Exercise more caution next time, right?
Oh snap, a stilleto? NICE man!

Best of luck to you on your jcm 800! (i'm getting one aswell :P)
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
If it turns out to be the fuse, don't tell your friend until after you've borrowed the mesa!