I finally saved up $2000, and i want to get myself a guitar.
Since I love playing nothing but Classic Rock, Blues, Pyschedelic, and Folk.

I dont know if i should a

Les Paul Classic

Gibson SG Standard

American Sratocaster.

I love all 3 of these guitars but i cant seem to choose one!!

All my heroes use all three!!

Page on LP
Hendrix on Strat
Clapton used SG in Cream, later switching to Strat

Thanks!! I really need your help!
i'd personally get the sg, but since u want to play blues, i say the les paul would fit u better.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Oooooh tough one. If you want to spend all $2000, go with one of the Gibsons. You can get a very good Fender for much less. I would say try them both hands on.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
i'd play them for hours each, untill you've played everything you can on all of them then decide.
personaly i thing the strat will suit your kind of music, and you wont have to spend all your dough
EDIT: also, page played a strat on one of the Led Zep albums (maybe not though, i know he played a tele, but i heard strat as well from someone)
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
try them all out and see which one is most comfortable to play and that you think looks the best coz if you are spending that amount you dont want to get sick of it in a week or two.
MD5K
IBANEZ
Go for the Les Paul, you just cant go wrong with the Les Paul great all round guitar.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Try the Les Paul and Strat in your local store (or everywhere else) and make your own decision by which one plays better...
I rather prefer the Les Paul... but it's your own decision!

I wouldn't go for a SG if you want to play the kind of music you do!
try them all out and check which tone you like and which feel you like. i'd save up $1000 more and buy a gibson les paul custom. but to answer your question, i'd buy a vintage stratocaster rather than an american and buy an amp too~ the thing about sg standards is that the clean tone sounds a bit dirty to me. and les paul classics clean tones aren't that bright but the distortion is good. but thats just me
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
p.s.

Do you have a good amp?
Cause a great guitar still doesn't make briliant perfect tones when you have a crappy amp...
If you haven't got a good amp I would go for a strat (much cheaper then LP) and save some money for a good amp...
I'd get the Les Paul, but then again, the Strat would most likely handle blues better. The Les Paul however, can do blues amazingly well also.
If you tend to play more heavy "gainy" blues, then get one of the Gibsons. If you like to play clean and "twangy" blues, get the Fender.

I'm a Gibson man myself.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
les paul classic all the way
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
imo Gibsons are too expensive in comparison to a good aul strat!
So I say the strat, mainly because of the blues bit, you can allways turn up your od for the heavier stuff but you cant make a Lp/Sg go single.. if you know what I mean!
Quote by StaggHound
The strat just don't cut it for the blues.

Yeah, cause I mean SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer, Robin Trower, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. don't use Strats right? Hmm....

(That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard here)

So...get a freakin American Strat and a nice tube amp!
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Strat is the best all rounder. If you play a lot of blues/soft rock check out a Gibson ES335 rather than the LP
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Id probably get a PRS with that amount of money. It would cover all those genres brilliantly, and look and sound nicer than your other choices
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
A nice Telecaster is not out of the way either, but if it's one of those three I'd go for the Les Paul and swap the pick ups to something gainy. The stock pick ups on the LP Classic are very hot and screamy. I'm changing mine after I got my next guitar.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I'd probably get a Strat. That covers two of your basses (because Clapton moved to Strats later).

Also, you'll save yourself a tonne of money for an amp in the future, or heroin addictions if you get famous.

I wouldn't have an SG because I find them unwieldy. They're far too neck heavy and keep slipping when standing up.

Les Pauls are nice, but unless you find a bargain, I wouldn't bother really.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by JJK
Yeah, cause I mean SRV, Hendrix, John Mayer, Robin Trower, Buddy Guy, etc. etc. don't use Strats right? Hmm....

(That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard here)

So...get a freakin American Strat and a nice tube amp!

You know, I only say it to annoy people who think SRV played Blues.
Of those, if just one guitar, I'd find a nice SG. If you have 2 yards to spend, you could still get a decent amp. If you have a decent amp already, go to your local GC at the end of the month, pick a nice SG and a Strat, find a hungry sales dude, offer up the wad for both.
Quote by Zofar
I'd personally get the strat, but i just love strats.

omg. hellz yeah. a metalhead who loves strats! FIGHT THE POWER!

id say the strat.
Quote by KurrptSenate
Id probably get a PRS with that amount of money. It would cover all those genres brilliantly, and look and sound nicer than your other choices

Amen...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by High_o
i'd play them for hours each, untill you've played everything you can on all of them then decide.
personaly i thing the strat will suit your kind of music, and you wont have to spend all your dough
EDIT: also, page played a strat on one of the Led Zep albums (maybe not though, i know he played a tele, but i heard strat as well from someone)

Page could play a ****in tissue box with a toilet paper roller, and rubber bands, and make it sound sweeet if he wanted to.
i'd say either an american fat strat or a PRS, just cause the prs is extremely versatile
yea id either get a PRS or a fender. I have heard some bad things about the les paul (gibson not epi) on musiciansfriend.com but im not sure cuz i havent tried one. I have however tried an SG and loved it. I would personly go witht the PRS
Quote by StaggHound
You know, I only say it to annoy people who think SRV played Blues.

bahahahaha.

/sarcasm.

shut up.

strat.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!