is it possible to alternate pick as fast as it is to speed pick? like what kind of note speed can you pick up to? i know speed picking like 32nd notes and whatnot, but what about alternate picking?
Signatures are overrated.
What exactly is speed picking??? And im sure alternate picking is faster because it uses up and down strokes. And for how fast, well it all depends on the person.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
speed picking is the whole up and down on one string, but i'm talking about alternate picking on different strings
Signatures are overrated.
The Sky is the limit on alternate picking, I know this will probably start an argument, and truly economy picking is superior in some situations and speed picking in some others, but if you listen to Patruci or watch him on the G3 videos he's in he's straight alternate picking some fast riffs. What your calling speed picking is still alternate picking, just done linear on one string. If you work on your technique think how much faster you can alternate pick across the strings instead of wasting alot of energy moving your left hand up the string. Technique is everything when it comes to picking of any type. Your only limitations are the ones you place upon yourself, or the ones your technique places on you. I suppose some people have physical restrictions as to how fast they can pick in alternate/economy ect, but most of my students get past their physical hinderances as their technique improves, and usually with picking the right hand is the problem.
^ this is the only time you'll ever hear me say this in relation to Petrucci, but **** that. Gilbert is on G3, watch him. 32nd notes at 144bpm alt picking o.O

and yeah, alternate picking is just picking up and down picking, not picking across different strings specifically. i dont know if theres a specific name for that. "speed picking" isnt exactly a technical term..
Last edited by Alucard II at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by seanie!
speed picking is the whole up and down on one string, but i'm talking about alternate picking on different strings

i think you mean speed picking as tremlo picking? ...where you pick one note very fast? is that what you mean?

im not sure if its possible, seeing as you will be slowed down by having to move from one string to the next
Quote by Alucard II
its possible to trem pick across strings. practice practice practice.

yes but i was thinking its going to be slightly slower as you have to switch strings

you can play the same speed on each string, but overall it might be slower, plus trem picking on a low string might be slower because its thicker idk
Believe it or not, I discovered I could tremelo pick by coincidence when I was just messin around with my guitar and tryin to come up with a riff of my own and suddenly I found myself alternate picking too fast in comparison with my usual speed and it hit me I finally found the perfect technique and hand chemistry to tremelo pick. Once you get that down (which could happen more systematically through practice) you need to focus on the speed by getting variable MIDIs to practice with until you get to your desired proficiency and speed.

Good Luck
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by Alucard II
^ this is the only time you'll ever hear me say this in relation to Petrucci, but **** that. Gilbert is on G3, watch him. 32nd notes at 144bpm alt picking o.O

and yeah, alternate picking is just picking up and down picking, not picking across different strings specifically. i dont know if theres a specific name for that. "speed picking" isnt exactly a technical term..

dont be a smartass. Gilbert can't pick 32nd at 144 bpm. That's 76,8 notes per second. He doesn't even come close...nobody does! Gilbert can do 16th notes at 160, anyway somewhere round that.
^ it's 19.2. Certainly if he was sweeping, maybe picking.

You can get up to about 21 if you're Guthrie Govan or Shawn Lane. Don't know what the limit is but those speeds are often on really difficult licks, i'm sure it'd be possible to get a little quicker on a single string sequence or summat.
Quote by flamencogod
dont be a smartass. Gilbert can't pick 32nd at 144 bpm. That's 76,8 notes per second. He doesn't even come close...nobody does! Gilbert can do 16th notes at 160, anyway somewhere round that.

76.8 nps? No, it's 19.2, which sounds reasonable for someone as fast as Paul Gilbert. You multiply the notes per beat by the bpm (with 32nd notes, that's 8), not the notes for the bar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I wish I could play 76.8 nps.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I can play 76.8 nps

only problem is at that speed it sounds like I'm strumming

only I'm not, I'm sweeping
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
76.8 nps? No, it's 19.2, which sounds reasonable for someone as fast as Paul Gilbert. You multiply the notes per beat by the bpm (with 32nd notes, that's 8), not the notes for the bar.

ah damn I just owned myself, sorry everyone
Quote by Freepower
^ it's 19.2. Certainly if he was sweeping, maybe picking.

You can get up to about 21 if you're Guthrie Govan or Shawn Lane. Don't know what the limit is but those speeds are often on really difficult licks, i'm sure it'd be possible to get a little quicker on a single string sequence or summat.

Faster than 21nps have to be melting the pick, i mean, i couldn't hear the difference between picking at 15nps and 20nps.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
This is off topic but i didnt want to make a thread, figured this would be easier. When you alternate pick, do you hold your pick on an angle?
Dick Dale can answer that
I am the Master of Puppies

Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
Line 6 Sp III 30
Ibanez jumpstart (black)
Ibanez toneblaster (small amp)
Digitech RP80 Guitar Workstation
Quote by Alucard II

Hey Alucard II

lemme just remind you which one of us is going to G3 and which one isnt

ill give you a hint
its the one that owns chris brodericks guitar, an enemies of reality shirt, and can play the river dragon has come

Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by Alucard II

Gilbert isnt on g3?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

omg apowiehga;skldjfa;woihga;sdf
awhre;gaioskdj;falwkega
YES!!!!!! he ****ing is!!!! omga owmg a;wioe;gasdf
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
Gilbert isnt on g3?

This year he is. I think it was meant for someone to go see him in concert.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
This year he is. I think it was meant for someone to go see him in concert.

There better be a dvd for this year then, i've wanted paul to be on g3 for a while.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

whats with all you guys and "speed". whats the point if it sounds like complete shit.
like sweeping a whole A min scale. no point. Melody is what most people find intresting.
Tony

New rule: Shave your pubes. The ladies love it.
^ Yea dude i totally agree! Melody and speed can't coexist at the same time, the mere thought of such contradictory entities coinciding is overwhelming to say the very least!!
I read a book one time about heavy metal picking, It was saying the fastest anyone could humamly pick is sixteenth notes at around 250 B.P.M.
Gear
BC Rich guitars
Crate amps

Heres my thrash song guitar demos - Thrash demos
Quote by metallideth2
I read a book one time about heavy metal picking, It was saying the fastest anyone could humamly pick is sixteenth notes at around 250 B.P.M.

Hell that would do for me, anything faster than that would prolly sound crappy.
Quote by Kensai
Because 14 yr olds + teh internetz = liez

I made that up in math class.

Quote by Random Youtube Kid
Michael Romeo- You think he plays fast? You should watch him eat cream pies.
Quote by Shreddmaster
whats with all you guys and "speed". whats the point if it sounds like complete shit.
like sweeping a whole A min scale. no point. Melody is what most people find intresting.

God forbid some people want to master their instrument technically so that they can play fast when they want to. But obviously, once people can play fast and accurately, that's all they do, without regard for melody at all. Right?

Go on and play at 0 BPM then. Nothing's going to come out. Who needs speed, right? Pretty stupid example, but it makes the point.

Think before you open your mouth.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
what cracks me up is his name is shreddmaster...
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I think that Steve Vai held the record at 21.8 nps according to a Total Guitar magazine article a few years ago as to the fastest picker. I think that the prerequisites for anyone getting mentioned in the article was that they had to be a)picking and b)sustaining it for a given length of time (i.e. not just a random flurry).

A lot of "I think" above, but it was few years ago when I read the article.
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.
Quote by rifftrader
I think that Steve Vai held the record at 21.8 nps according to a Total Guitar magazine article a few years ago as to the fastest picker. I think that the prerequisites for anyone getting mentioned in the article was that they had to be a)picking and b)sustaining it for a given length of time (i.e. not just a random flurry).

A lot of "I think" above, but it was few years ago when I read the article.

But i think that wasn't alternate picking but legato using tapping. I think is the tapping part of "The Riddle" from Passion And Warfare album.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
But i think that wasn't alternate picking but legato using tapping. I think is the tapping part of "The Riddle" from Passion And Warfare album.

You are probably right dude... it was a looooong time since I read that article.
Member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

Pm Davidian to join.
Quote by seanie!
is it possible to alternate pick as fast as it is to speed pick? like what kind of note speed can you pick up to? i know speed picking like 32nd notes and whatnot, but what about alternate picking?

satch made it up to that number, i don't know of any faster. probably yngwie or someone like that.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club