everybody so far has said it's purely up to the person, so i want to know, how fast can you alternate pick mulitple strings? 8th notes, 16th notes? does anyone know what the fastest is?
Signatures are overrated.
You can't distinguish the speed of something by what note value it is. You'd have to also include a tempo.

Personally I couldn't be f*cked to measure something so stupid.

Really, why the hell should anyone care?
lol srry for that comp ****ed up and i didnt think it sent...even tho it was totally irrelevant...lol sorry
80bpm? or was that just a random number?
Signatures are overrated.
I'm not much of as fast person. I can sweep three strings up/down at about 145bpm (16th notes), but 4 string or above, I can barely go past 95bpm (16th notes) as my pinky finger sucks for fast stuff - I'm going to be working on it's strengh though.

I can play 4 NPS at 16th notes for about 105bpm - but it can be sloppy sometimes. And I can just cope with 3 NPS 16th notes at around 120bpm, maybe about 116/118bpm. I haven't measured my tapping, but I can tap pretty damm fast 16th notes. I'm generally better off at tapping when it's 4NPS e.g.

T

e|----------------|
B|12p10p7h10------|
G|----------------|
D|----------------|
A|----------------|
E|----------------|

SO yeah... I'm not really fast, but I'm working on it.

Edit: Damm, you said alternate picking. Well, now you know all my speed
I can play the riff from Damage Inc which is like 16th note at 190bpm. For chromatics stuff like 1,2,3,4 i can play 16th note at 150bpm.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I can do 70 bpm in 16ths atm, just thought you'd randomly like to know lol
but is that in 16ths, 8ths, or what ever combination of them that songs in? its no use saying you can do 200bpm if you happen to be doing it in 8ths cause in 16ths thats basically just 100pm,,,,god this gets confusing sometimes lol
More to the point, who cares? Pure speed is meaningless, it's not a gauge of how good you are...there's no "guitar olympics" for you to compete in* Too many players get hung up on speed early on and focus on learning to play fast rather than the important things...playing in time, playing in key, basic theory etc.

If they put as much effort into the useful aspects of their playing they'd be awesome. Speed is something that develops naturally, if you prioritise speed over other aspects of your playing you stunt your development something chronic.

*although maybe there should be
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
well, if you listen to people like John Mclaughlin, you'll hear 16th notes alternate picked at like 215bpm (insane Pentatonic scale runs) or so on one of the Mahavishnu Orchestra songs "Birds of Fire"... But i still think circle picking is faster/has more potential to be faster....

I can just alt pick like 8ths at 180 but can circle pick 16th at the same tempo.... I think Summer- Presto (1st movement) is around that tempo and i can do it... so yeah...
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Last edited by Kunundrum at Jan 31, 2007,
steven seagull Ever heard of the phrase look before you leap? or dont jump the gun? lol
Just because most of us want to know how fast each other can play doesnt mean we care about speed and nothing but speed.

I personally love speed playing. Its exciting and it pushes your technical skills. But in responce to your comment about the theory and the "important stuff" I'm quite well versed in theory and other stuff you say is important...just cause some of us love to play break neck speeds doesnt mean we're crap players.
16th triplets at 135bpm ~ 15nps.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
steven seagull Ever heard of the phrase look before you leap? or dont jump the gun? lol
Just because most of us want to know how fast each other can play doesnt mean we care about speed and nothing but speed

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play fast, or being able to play fast, it just isn't that important in the greater scheme of things....which you probably know yourself, it's a means to an end but in terms of guitar skills you could get by with never learning to play particularly quickly, but you'll struggle if you didn't learn where the notes are, or can't change chords smoothly.

I've played with guitarists who could pick a damnsight quicker than me, but get this blank look on their face when told to play in G, can't improvise, or even can't play chords properly. I just don't see the point in knowing how fast you can play - it's about the only aspect of your playing that is quantifiable granted, but i don't see that as a reason to do so. To me, it just emphasises how you can't measure your playing and shouldn't worry about doing so. Comparing speeds just seems like the guitar equivalent of trading Pokemon cards!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ummm.... What those guitarists are called are not so good guitarists... I mean, it's nice to play real slow and expressive but you'll bore your audience soon! It's NOT pointless!!! It just gets pointless when you only play chromatics or random dissonant stuff (unless you're all avantgarde.... which is cool too...) You can be blindingly fast AND melodic... Steve vai, Joe Sat etc yaddah yaddah... JOHN MCLAUGHLIN and PAT METHENY if you like jazz. Eric Johnson?

Nobody REALLY worries about speed. Most (sane) people WANT speed but don't kill themselves over it. This is just to see like, (hopefully) how fast others pick. What? You don't care about the abilities of other guitarists cause what they do is "pointless"?
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
In a true artistic sense, comparing yourself to others is, in fact, pointless/
Can alt pick 16th notes at about 230bpm if i push it, but that's just for notes on a single string (my fretting hand can't keep up with my picking hand which kind of sucks >.<. It's good for playing the likes of Slayer, Dragonforce or Bodom rhythms. As for lead style, multiple strings, well i'm struggling to play bed of razors atm (146bpm 8th triplets i think). As many others have said before me, accuracy before speed makes for a much better guitarist
I'm not into speed really, but I can do different scales at about 100bpm. I should really practice more with a metronome than I do...
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Ummm.... What those guitarists are called are not so good guitarists... I mean, it's nice to play real slow and expressive but you'll bore your audience soon! It's NOT pointless!!! It just gets pointless when you only play chromatics or random dissonant stuff (unless you're all avantgarde.... which is cool too...) You can be blindingly fast AND melodic... Steve vai, Joe Sat etc yaddah yaddah... JOHN MCLAUGHLIN and PAT METHENY if you like jazz. Eric Johnson?

I did actually say that speed in itself is pointless so we agree on that, but you can't say that someone isn't a good guitarist just because they can't play fast. There are players that can pretty much make a solo out of one note, it's all in the phrasing. That arguably takes more ability than just being able to play something fast...playing the right notes is far more important than playing lots of notes. Of course you can be blindingly fast and melodic, but you can bet that those players will have learned to play slowly and melodically first, whereas the tendency nowadays is to want to play quickly before you've learned what to play. If you go for speed first you end up playing crap quickly, better to learn how to play first and let the speed develop naturally.

Nobody REALLY worries about speed. Most (sane) people WANT speed but don't kill themselves over it. This is just to see like, (hopefully) how fast others pick. What? You don't care about the abilities of other guitarists cause what they do is "pointless"?

I just don't care about measuring the abilities of other guitarists, it's the idea that you have to somehow quantify playing that's pointless. I'm influenced by others, I learn from others, but don't need numbers to know how good they are anymore than I do for myself. I'm as good or as bad as I am regardless of what other people do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by sajuuk
but is that in 16ths, 8ths, or what ever combination of them that songs in? its no use saying you can do 200bpm if you happen to be doing it in 8ths cause in 16ths thats basically just 100pm,,,,god this gets confusing sometimes lol

lol I know what you mean and to tell you the true I dont know, thats why I said the songs name, someone must know what it is.
if you knew how to play the song, and you knew it was 200bpm, you would know if that was 8th, 16ths, etc....

if you don't know, I'd say your timing either sucks, or you're full of sh!t
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Quote by KurrptSenate
if you knew how to play the song, and you knew it was 200bpm, you would know if that was 8th, 16ths, etc....

if you don't know, I'd say your timing either sucks, or you're full of sh!t

so, I know the song, I know its 200bpm, but I havent bothered to go into guitar pro and look what messure it is, if i was full of shit I'd find all that out and then talk shit. its not impossible to play angel of death you know
im not saying it is, or it isn't

I'm saying, if you can't tell the difference between 8th notes and 16th notes, from you head, and you play it at 200 bpm, I'd say you DEFINITELY have some timing issues, which seems pretty obvious
Quote by KurrptSenate
im not saying it is, or it isn't

I'm saying, if you can't tell the difference between 8th notes and 16th notes, from you head, and you play it at 200 bpm, I'd say you DEFINITELY have some timing issues, which seems pretty obvious

your an idiot, 8ths and 16ths would depend on the bpm 8ths at 200pbm is the same a 16ths at 100bpm, thats why Im not sure of the speed, timing has nothing to do with it because i dont sight read, i just go

(cant be arsed to add the real chords but you get the message.
sure, I'm the idiot, but you're the one who has no idea about tempo, timing, or things of that nature.

Anyone who practices with a metronome would be able to tell the difference. And yes, everyone is aware that 1/8 is the same as 2/16ths.

Buy a metronome and use the damn thing LOL
if your used to playing songs like that (200 bpm 16th notes) then it's not hard to overlook the timing. Whenever i see the bpm, it usually constitutes to 16th notes. Tbh, i can't believe there's a flame war happening over someone not putting the timing (he did mention the song after all).
exactly, its not often I see a tab say the timing on the tab itself, cant say i pay attention to the music sheet type thing at the top of the tab, doesnt mean I can't play a song tho, means your an idiot because you can't figure out the speed even when I give you the song name, you should spend more time playing and maybe you will be able to play that song too
Quote by steven seagull

I've played with guitarists who could pick a damnsight quicker than me, but get this blank look on their face when told to play in G, can't improvise, or even can't play chords properly. I just don't see the point in knowing how fast you can play

Are you ever right

If your going to take the instrument seriously... learn all aspects of playing. Work on playing chords, learn some very simple theory, hone your chops in all ways and you'll be glad you did. You never know what situation may arise were you'll need a certain skill.