Why is it that if you listen to a certain genre of music or a certain band you are expected to act like the persona that band or genre carries? For example I listen to either punk or some doom metal stuff yet I'm very quiet usually and don't like violence, yet people expect me to do crazy stuff or argue and start fights with them. Anyone else get this shit? Like if you listen to Jimi Hendrix or Van halen people usually assume you are good at guitar if you play it or assume you are laid back and kind of corky. Maybe I'm just making this up in my head but like I said before I get people who are always suprised when I tell them what kind of music I like. How would music determine who you are? Because that seems kind of stupid to me.
What's up?
Music doesn't make me who I am. Who I am determines what music I listen to......and since I have multiple personalities, I have very diverse tastes!
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

- T.S. Eliot

Quote by MannishBoy91
Music doesn't make me who I am. Who I am determines what music I listen to......and since I have multiple personalities, I have very diverse tastes!

Yeah that's the way I see it.
What's up?
We are? Shit.

I'd look like a badly sewn patchwork quilt.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
If my personality were to reflect my music tastes, I'd probably be a...

Nah, I'm not even gonna bother coming up with a clever conglomeration. Just know I'd be schizo.
yeah it does i'm into more surf based scene and listen to jack johnson, donavon, g-love,beautiful girls, which leads me to listen to alot softer mainly acoustic songs. But there is a side of me that can listen to anything catchy from red hot chili to yes u2.
Maybe peoples music reflects their personality.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
If people can be judged by the music that they listen to, then I'm officially keeping a good distance between myself and anyone who listens to Elton John and Michael Jackson.
Quote by silent caution
exactly....people blame bush cuase they dont know what they talking about....if anything to blame its organized religion

Quote by deadkenedy
Maybe peoples music reflects their personality.

It probably does in a small portion of a person's personality. But doesn't that seem kind of silly that music has grown so large in society that it determines your personality and how you act?
What's up?
idon't think you'll find many people who listen to only one genre of music, and fail to like songs by other bands in other styles.

i like songs in many genres of music but dress like in jeans and t-shirts mostly wiv me levver biker jacket that im distressing

and im listening to the walrus of love right now
Quote by the dave
hahahahahahaha I laughed so hard I shat a little

Quote by B.I.N.
If people can be judged by the music that they listen to, then I'm officially keeping a good distance between myself and anyone who listens to Elton John and Michael Jackson.

lol, good point
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/NotsodumbnowamI.jpg[/img]
George Bush - "More than just a euphanism of pubic hair" - Colin Mocharie

MySpace be my friend,...... please?

Quote by iamded
My god... so simple... yet so fucking genius! You rock.
Nah, I don't dress metal. I'm bit negative and serious though I'm not sure if that influences the music I like.
WHY DID I BECOME A HOBO!?

Currently playing - Bioshock (360) Forza 2 (360) Mario Kart (Wii) and some CoD4 (360)
I'm same as the threadstarter. Except with some styles of music, you talk like them. Like when I started listening to eminem [lol, i was 8, everyone was at my school] I started swearing all the time. Didn't know what **** meant, loved to say it xD
Its called stereotypes and it applies to just about anything you can think of. Music, proffesions, skin colour, voice pitch u name it and people have a stereotype for it. With stereotypes come expectations.

EG. A skinny female, blond hair, smartly dressed in a suit, black pants and white shirt walks into a waiting room at a lawyer firm, after speaking to the admin office and laughing she walks straight into the barristers office without waiting in line.

Stereotypically, you assume her to be a lawyer herself. But if you take the suit off her you assume she is the wife of a barrister, give her a boob tube and tight pants and you might assume she is a prostitute. The truth is that in any of the situations she could have been any one of the 3 different women.

Its the way the world and our minds as humans work....you get used to it after a while
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Alot of people do this and I hate it. I always just wear t-shirt,flannel,blue jeans.
because people are retarded. i just ignore them.

I CAN TOTALLY EXPLAIN THAT... I HAD... uh... UNPROTECTED SEX WITH A PORCUPINE
Quote by doomnight
I'm same as the threadstarter. Except with some styles of music, you talk like them. Like when I started listening to eminem [lol, i was 8, everyone was at my school] I started swearing all the time. Didn't know what **** meant, loved to say it xD

Well I don't listen to Eminem...and I swear all the time...

damn it i was going to make a thread about this

i listen to grunge mostly, also hard rock/mainstream rock, alternative and prog-metal. what would i be? i´m a fairly normal person. i´m smart but not a nerd, make jokes a lot (i´m not saying i´m funny though) and i live a happy life. yet my taste in music would tell i'm depressed (grunge), i'm weird (alternative) and a leather wearing nerd (prog metal and the stereotypes people have about metal)
yeah i listen to a lot of metal but im not about to go on a mass killing spree.
Quote by Ass_Goblin
yeah i listen to a lot of metal but im not about to go on a mass killing spree.

When has that ever happened?
I listen to Charlie Daniels Band, Marshall Tucker Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I am a Democrat.
I listen to Black Sabbath, Gorgoroth and Children of Bodom, but I'm agnostic.
I listen to LZ, Pink Floyd and Hendrix, but I ain't a stoner.
I listen to tons of metal and punk, but I'm don't hate every governmental/political/religious figure.
Damn straight, i love the Kings Of Leon and my friend things im a hillbilly. Dissapointing.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Columbine, That one in Canada, etc....

Yes, i'm sure the act of listening to heavy metal could cause people to go out and kill people

Screw the fact they could be mentally disturbed

(actually...I have no idea... )
Quote by GiantRaven
Yes, i'm sure the act of listening to heavy metal could cause people to go out and kill people

Screw the fact they could be mentally disturbed

(actually...I have no idea... )

Exactly. Just because some kid shoots himself or goes on a killing spree you always hear police and people at the hospitol/morgue always saying they shot themselves or others because they listened to death metal or some shit. Remember the Judist Priest incident anyone? Two kids were listening to a Judith Priest album and decided to shoot each other in the mouth with a shotgun. One lived and blamed it on the fact that Judist had put subliminal messages in their music telling people to kill themselves. wtf?
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Exactly. Just because some kid shoots himself or goes on a killing spree you always hear police and people at the hospitol/morgue always saying they shot themselves or others because they listened to death metal or some shit. Remember the Judist Priest incident anyone? Two kids were listening to a Judith Priest album and decided to shoot each other in the mouth with a shotgun. One lived and blamed it on the fact that Judist had put subliminal messages in their music telling people to kill themselves. wtf?

I read up about that in a few different places

The trial was hilarious
The music I listen to is pretty mixed, but I think it is pretty reflective of my personality. I don't mind what people think
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
well i listen to

blues, techno, hardcore, jazz, soul, rock, death metal, classic rock, punik, indie, shred, clasic, garage, grunge and some other stuff

what the hell am i?
Quote by deluxity
well i listen to

blues, techno, hardcore, jazz, soul, rock, death metal, classic rock, punik, indie, shred, clasic, garage, grunge and some other stuff

what the hell am i?

****in cool I suppose?
What's up?
Apparently Im Emo for having Hammer Smashed Face and Gallery Of Suicide on my MP3 player