i dont have the luxury of a teacher at the moment, and i find that the internet is often wrong and dont really trust all of it, so can anyone recommend me a good beginners/intermediate book

i know some basics such as, modes, scale forumulas , chord formation etc, but some of it is confusing.....eg i was led to belive a major scale is has only natural notes ie no sharps and flats, but F major has a B flat

so basically, i dont want to make threads constantly, also,ive read through the sticky here with some basic theory and some still leaves me asking questions....so yea, anyone ever been in this position and what books/sources of information did you use?

Regards Juno
Quote by *Juno*
eg i was led to belive a major scale is has only natural notes ie no sharps and flats, but F major has a B flat

...who on earth told you that? A major scale is just a set of intervals up from the root note - root, major second, major third, perfect fourth, perfect fifth, major sixth, major seventh. As it happens C major has no accidentals, but the others do. Learn to use the circle of fiths.
Mark Levine's Jazz Theory
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The Complete Elementary Music Rudiments by Mark Sarnecki.

Great book, I'm still working through it. It's got everything you need to know about music theory. Once you master it you can go in to more specific areas like Jazz.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by elvenkindje

².
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by elvenkindje

£32 is a lot for a book tho..i might be able to get it tho....can you tell me a bit more about it?

has it got a hell of a lot of theory?

is it well explained?

etc

Regards Juno
Erm...

The textbook I use for my AP Music Theory class is EXCELLENT, and I highly recommend it.

It is:

Music in Theory and Practice (seventh edition), volume I, by Benward and Saker
Kostka has a good theory book, has a lot of material in it and it covers all genres, but is mainly classicaly geared.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Google it.. just kidding actually just look on amazon i know my teacher suggested one by kolb or something like that... but since i cant actually find a copy to look at first i'm reluctant to buy.

Always look at the books before you actually buy them, cause sometimes they may not be what you really want
Class A Procrastinator and Class A Guitarist..
Quote by *Juno*
£32 is a lot for a book tho..i might be able to get it tho....can you tell me a bit more about it?

has it got a hell of a lot of theory?

is it well explained?

etc

Regards Juno

It requires a certain interest in jazz, though no knowledge of it. Don't let the name throw you off, it's one of the most thorough books and I doubt you'll be needing any other theory book after it.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
For beginning music theory that's easy to understand, I would say the Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory. Really, really helped me with the fundamentals. Of course, that's just the basics, it doesn't exactly go into detail much, just enough to get you going okay to begin with. Don't forget Musician Talk... I've learned most of my stuff right here.