can someone please explain this to me? i dont really get it. what do they mean by "down one step"?
All you're doing is tuning the E string down to the pitch of the D string.

Oh yeha it's the thick E string btw.
The low E string gets tuned (dropped) down a whole tone (step) so that instead of the guitar being tuned EAGDBe it is DADGBe.
Down one step = two frets lower in tone, if that helps.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
If you learned a song in standard tuning and you need to do it in Drop D, do you play all the notes the same or are all of them dropped? If so, could you just drop all the strings down and continue playing it like normal?
El Capitan:

you should be able to play them all the same. The only thing that changes is the low E string, all the others stay the same.

What song are you working on??
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
I learned KISS 'Rock and Roll All Night' in standard tuning but now my band wants me to do it dropped one step. So should I drop the E to an Eb and play it the same?
no, if they want you to drop a whole step you need to re-tune all six strings of your guitar and just continue to play the same frets/notes. It will sound a whole step lower when you play.

E to Eb is only a half-step.

EADGBe is standard tuning

DGCFAd is the entire guitar dropped 1 whole step

DADGBe is standard Drop D

CGCFAd is Drop C or also known as Drop D but down 1 whole step.

Hope this helps.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna