when did you guys stop anchoring your pinky on the picking hand to the pick guard? It served me well for a long time to keep my pinky on the guitar so muscle memory would tell me exactly where the strings are so I know where to pick. But now, I am still a beginner, but improving, and I think but the pinky seems to slow me down when I want to play faster songs. I was wondering, do more experienced players keep their pinky anchored or do they just play? Hopefully this post makes sense. Thanks for any input.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
It's all preference. Some anchor, some don't. Everyone will go back and forth with "OMG ANCHORING IS FOR N000BZ" or "ANCHORING ROCKZ," so get ready.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by JJK
It's all preference. Some anchor, some don't. Everyone will go back and forth with "OMG ANCHORING IS FOR N000BZ" or "ANCHORING ROCKZ," so get ready.

OMG ANCHORING IS FOR N000BZ!!!!!111

I think it really helped me out beginning, learning where all of the strings were. But now I realized that it hindered me, so I broke that habit. If you look at it in the long run, it will slow you down, so your best bet is to really not anchor, at least, don't anchor once you know where the strings are located. Cleanness > Speed
I'm the same, I anchored at first just so I had a better idea of where I was strumming. I think after about 6-7 months of heavy playing (5-6 hours most days) I started to shift.

Now I don't anchor. It just means that you can play with some agression. That doesn't necessarily mean metal, just like, when I'm playing things like Subways or even Raconteurs, you can really eek out a certain style from your guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
I'm the same, I anchored at first just so I had a better idea of where I was strumming. I think after about 6-7 months of heavy playing (5-6 hours most days) I started to shift.

Now I don't anchor. It just means that you can play with some agression. That doesn't necessarily mean metal, just like, when I'm playing things like Subways or even Raconteurs, you can really eek out a certain style from your guitar.

Agreed, depends what you're playing. If you're doing some broken chord type stuff, say, like the intro to Call of Ktulu, I find it much, much easier to anchor. But if you're just like, bashing out some Motorhead or something, it's not too helpful.

With me, it's not really a concious descision, I just find myself doing it or not.
I never anchored. I always thought of it as a bad habbit right from the start, and I wanted to make sure I learned stuff correctly, so I never done it. If I were you, I'd stop anchoring now - It'll help you in the long run. And now... I'm gonna say what JJk mentioned...

4NCH0R1NG I5 4 N00BZZZ!!!!11!

Quote by bassdrum
Cleanness > Speed

I couldn't agree more. Thanks to everyone for your input thus far. I appreciate it.
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
i anchor if i'm picking individual strings in odd orders and the like. anchoring and strumming isn't good!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
i always anchor, it helps me when playing fast runs and such, but when theres strumming i dont do it.
i tried to stop doing it, and i can moderately well, but i find it helps my accuracy when soloing and such.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
If you searched the modern music industry you'd find plenty of excellent players who anchor, and just as many who don't. It's just a tool. I anchor sometimes and not for others, similarly to left hand position. I change whether or not I place my thumb on the back of the neck (for soloing and runs) or rest my palm on the back (better bending accuracy). All just tools.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
It never occurred to me to use my pinky to anchor. I use my palm to lightly anchor, just enough to get rid of extra string noise. It feels so awkward to play free hand, like floating in the air. I get so much extra string noise, it makes me play sloppier and slower and hurts my hand cause I got to keep it suspended in the air.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
I'm lucky I never had that habit. I just lay my hand on the strings like normal. I don't anchor on anything.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
I anchor my ring and pinky when I'm playing a bluesy, Jimmy Page type solo. If I'm speed picking or something, I usually just anchor my pinky. When I strum chords, I don't anchor anything.
Never felt the need to anchor. OMG I MUST BE TEH PR0!!!11one!

On a serious note, I don't know why I never anchor, although it is probably because I play mostly sitting down which probably helps?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.