Page 1 of 2
If this is the wrong forum, my apologies.

A few hours ago on my local radio station I heard that the Sugababes and Girls Aloud are going to cover Run DMC/Aerosmith's Walk This Way for Children In Need. Now as much as I enjoy watching it, and a few acts can be decent, I thought this should not be allowed and I wanted The Pit's opinion on this.
Quote by el-ECTRO
You have the most awesome username ever. I am not worthy.

Timendi causa est nescire

Quote by Sceeb-O
If this is the wrong forum, my apologies.

A few hours ago on my local radio station I heard that the Sugababes and Girls Aloud are going to cover Run DMC/Aerosmith's Walk This Way for Children In Need. Now as much as I enjoy watching it, and a few acts can be decent, I thought this should not be allowed and I wanted The Pit's opinion on this.

Whats your problem?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by Xeus
long as i see some flesh im a happy man

+1
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
This is going too far. I wanted to kill someone when i heard Scissor Sisters disgraceful cover of Comfortably Numb, and Will Young's terrible cover of Light My Fire. It must end!!!
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by fronkpies
Whats your problem?

I don't have a problem with Children In Need, I have a problem with those 2 "groups" covering the song.
Quote by el-ECTRO

Quote by guitar?
Run dmc and Aerosmith are pop bands!

Umm... no?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
it's for charity, so for me only good can come of it
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
not allowed?

I thought that was the mainstream's job...to ruin or mame good music.
Originally posted by bassist90

Thank you Assassin_Itachi, you truly are a great man
Quote by raise_the_dead
Umm... no?

umm yeah, i would definitely consider both acts to be pop bands.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by leaping badger
it's for charity, so for me only good can come of it

Exactly.

Its not like there doing it for there own gain.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Umm... no?

Uhhh....yes they are. How are they not?
Quote by guitar?
Uhhh....yes they are. How are they not?

because ones rap and the other is rock
This isn't so bad.

1) It raises money for children in need
2) They'll never sing it again afterwards
and
3) It gives us a chance to see some seyx women! (If they don't dress crap, and a few already look gugly from those two groups.)
Well, Run DMC are oldskool hip-hop, Aerosmith, to the best of my knowledge, are simply a rock band. How does that make them pop?
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by AdamDK
This isn't so bad.

1) It raises money for children in need
2) They'll never sing it again afterwards
and
3) It gives us a chance to see some seyx women! (If they don't dress crap, and a few already look gugly from those two groups.)

You never know, they could do what McFly done to Don't Stop Me Now and release it.
Quote by el-ECTRO

Quote by raise_the_dead
Well, Run DMC are oldskool hip-hop, Aerosmith, to the best of my knowledge, are simply a rock band. How does that make them pop?

they both use pop song structures standard pop melody and are popular.

Last.fm
Pop artists doing cover of rock songs suck. But the other wya round sounds really cool.
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
OMGZZZZZZZ NOOO NOT POP MOOZIKKKK OLOL DAT SUXORZ!!!!!1!one!.

I hate people.

Quote by Whats the story
Pop artists doing cover of rock songs suck. But the other wya round sounds really cool.

Naturally.
Last edited by olif8 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by raise_the_dead

Pop isnt a genre, its a postion
Quote by olif8
I hate people.

I agree.

Quote by guitar?
Pop isnt a genre, its a postion

Oh piss of it is a genre, everyone knows it. "Pop means popular duh" No, its a genre.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

Doesn't make you a pop act, simply because you follow a pop structure. If I made a catchy black metal song with a simple verse-bridge-chorus structure, would it be pop?
Quote by raise_the_dead
Doesn't make you a pop act, simply because you follow a pop structure. If I made a catchy black metal song with a simple verse-bridge-chorus structure, would it be pop?

it would if it was popular. The beatles dont sound anything like modern pop, but they are still considered a pop band.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it would if it was popular.

No it wouldnt.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it would if it was popular. The beatles dont sound anything like modern pop, but they are still considered a pop band.

The Beatles started off pop music as we know it today. Hey, they are the world's first boy band!
Quote by fronkpies

Oh piss of it is a genre, everyone knows it. "Pop means popular duh" No, its a genre.

Well there is a pop "standard", which is the vcv format. But any band can be pop from the beatles to nirvana to prince to ac/dc.

If by genre you mean like nsync or backstreet boys, then thats boy band or girl group or bubble gum music.
Quote by fronkpies
No it wouldnt.

if it followed a pop strucutre and had standard pop meoldies it would be pop if it was popular. thats how pop is defined.

Last.fm
Quote by guitar?
Well there is a pop "standard", which is the vcv format. But any band can be pop from the beatles to nirvana to prince to ac/dc.

If by genre you mean like nsync or backstreet boys, then thats boy band or girl group or bubble gum music.

Finally, someone that gets it.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if it followed a pop strucutre and had standard pop meoldies it would be pop if it was popular. thats how pop is defined.

Define standard pop melodies.

Remember the song 'Milkshake', by Kelis?

The melodies in that song are in the most fucked up scale ever. Yet it's a catchy pop song, that was number 1 for a very long time.
Quote by Dr Grinwraith
sugababes are fugly looking

+1
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Burpin'Worm
O RLY?

Shush you, I just want to annoy some rock elitists
Last edited by fronkpies at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

That's a piss weak statement. Please elaborate on what the fuck a "pop melody" is, and since when does using a standard song structure automatically qualify your group to be labeled as a certain genre?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by fronkpies
Whats your problem?

I agree with Fronk. What is your problem?

FOR FUCKS SAKE - LAST I HEARD, IT ISN'T A CRIME TO COVER ANY SONG OF ANY GENRE (WITH LEGAL DOCUMENTS COVERED OBVIOUSLY). IT'S MUSIC FOR GODS SAKE - JUST BE HAPPY ROCK MUSIC IS MAKING AN IMPACT AND THAT IT IS STILL SEEN AS BEING SOMETHING GREAT

I conclude,

You Sir, are a collection of penises.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Smokey Amp
and since when does using a standard song structure automatically qualify your group to be labeled as a certain genre?

It's true, for instance, metal follows a structure of suck-suck-suck-suck-guitar solo-suck-suck.

He says whilst listening to Probot =p
Quote by Smokey Amp
That's a piss weak statement. Please elaborate on what the fuck a "pop melody" is, and since when does using a standard structure automatically qualify your group to be labeled as a certain genre?

Pop isnt really a Genre like heavy metal or Jazz, but it does have to have a standard melody and a pop song structure (such as A-B-A-B-C-b or some simmilar variant) but the main key is that if its based around a hook has pop song structure and is popular. then it is considered pop music, no matter what other genre it may fall into.

Last.fm
Why not?

You don't like it, fair enough, I know I'm going to listen to it.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Page 1 of 2