I have been thinking of replacing the pickups on my Ibanez.
It has the standard V7 and V8 ones it came with.
But recently I have started to read bad things about the Ibanez ones.

I have never really been unhappy with them myself, but I have often been frustrated trying to get a decent tone I can't be sure it's not the amp (not the Spider mentioned below, I have used others although never a really good one).

My problem is, I've nothing to compare them to really - at least nothing decent.
I suppose I could go to a store and compare another Ibanez with these pickups vs. an Ibanez with the DiMarzios or something.

The other thing I was thinking of was putting the V7 and V8 pickups in my new Cort which, as a budget model, surely has worse pickups than the Ibanez ones.
Then again I wasn't really thinking of using the Cort for metal - just standard rock.

Is it worth replacing the standard Ibanez pickups?
Will I notice a difference?
Will they be good enough for my budget Cort?

Cheers!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
If you want to change the pickups go for Swineshead... Based in the UK. Excellent quality. You'll notice a difference. The level of difference depends on how well your ear is tuned I guess.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
Quote by aliwilson27
If you want to change the pickups go for Swineshead... Based in the UK. Excellent quality. You'll notice a difference. The level of difference depends on how well your ear is tuned I guess.

+1, swinesheads work great in my RG. great value too.

I haven't tried that cort, but yeah, i'd assume the ibanez ones are better. if they aren't, you can always just put the cort pickups back in.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know what tone you're after, but I'm assuming the amps the problem. There is a simple, and enjoyable, test....take your guitar into a guitar shop, first run it through a spider (it'll be 3 not a 2, but that makes little difference, just use similar setting to what you use at home), then try it through a load of other amps, preferably tube....Laney VC series, Ashdown Fallen Angel, Marshal DSL. If it sounds better through the other amps then you know the pickups aren't a worry.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ also +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by steven seagull
I don't know what tone you're after, but I'm assuming the amps the problem. There is a simple, and enjoyable, test....take your guitar into a guitar shop, first run it through a spider (it'll be 3 not a 2, but that makes little difference, just use similar setting to what you use at home), then try it through a load of other amps, preferably tube....Laney VC series, Ashdown Fallen Angel, Marshal DSL. If it sounds better through the other amps then you know the pickups aren't a worry.

Well I did say NOT the Spider mentioned below as that is just used for practice at home.

But anyway, I wanted to know if I could improve my pickups, I didn't want to hear "get a better amp".
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Just go for Swineshead and don't be so easily offended. Steven Seagull obviously just missed the bit about you having already tested on a superior amp. Otherwise his advice was spot on... easy enough mistake to make.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
well, the swineys will sound better, but they'll sound even better again through a better amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
steven seagull wasnt telling you to get a better amp. He was saying that if your guitar sounds good enough to suit you through high quality tube amps, then your pickups aren't the problem.

Anyway, a pickup change certainly wont hurt anything, and by putting your Ibanez pickups in your budget guitar, you stand to have 2 solid guitars, so go for it.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^^

^
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Didn't Cord have a sort of "kit" for fixing up the V7s and V8s?

You should send a PM to CorduroyEW .

EDIT: Just noticed that I have the honor of being sigged by Captain Dave.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Jan 31, 2007,
Well I did say NOT the Spider mentioned below as that is just used for practice at home.

Oops, didn't read that properly, just saw "Spider" and my skin went all crawly and I kind of panicked...

Either way, it still stands - you said you weren't sure if it was the amp, so you might as well find out before you go and potentially waste money on what could be a redundant upgrade. It's also an excuse to arse around in a guitar shop for an hour or two.

I found the V8 fine as a neck pickup, stock pickups rarely set the world alight but it was clear and warm . The V7 in the bridge was a bit "meh", and wasn't defined enough for me. Having said that, I was playing through an old Peavey Bandit at the time....
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay well thanks for your responses.
I wasn't offended by any replies, I just expected a "get a better amp" post and got one
Anyway, the Spider is for use at home.
The stuff I use for rehearshals/gigs/recordings tends to be borrowed and has varied from Marshall something-or-others in the studio, Laney whotsits and Carlsbro bass head and cab (you can tell I've never really been a gear head!).

I know I haven't used the best amps out there, and as I said I haven't been especially disappointed with my sound, except for maybe difficulty in getting really good pinched harmonics.

I had just read a lot how the V7 was "very muddy" in reviews and, as I've nothing to compare it to, thought I'd ask here.

Anyway, my Ibanez is currently being set up at the guitar shop where they have tons of Ibanez's so I will probably test it out next to some of them, on some decent amps.

Like someone said - an opportunity to waste an hour is a guitar shop!
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B

Like someone said - an opportunity to waste an hour is a guitar shop!

Youre tellin me. I work at one.

Hey, if you like the Spider...thats all that matters.
Quote by FacingUsAll
EDIT: Just noticed that I have the honor of being sigged by Captain Dave.

heh, your utsapp one is one of the funniest ever.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Totally agree. That is hilarious.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Hey, if you like the Spider...thats all that matters.

Er, well...
It's just a practice amp, so it does the job.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha