title says it all...

sound:hendrix,zep,sabbath,GnR,metallica,nirvana,foo fighters and weezer

i would like to get somewhat close to all those sound but dont need to nail it i will buy pedals to get into a certain sound,passable cleans is a must. im open to any and all wattage but needs to be able to gig without being mic'd(small-mediumish size with a 412 cab) would like to buy new but will go used if necessary(sp?)

1000max thanks for any suggestions

edit: id like all tube
I just got a 50 watt dual reverb JCM 900 that's almost like new for $699, sounds great and is pretty versatile. It does modern rock really well, i'd reccommend it.
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Duncan SH-6 in bridge)
Fender 50's Stratocaster (Duncan Hotrails in bridge)
Fender Standard Telecaster (Fender SCN Pickups)
Marshall JCM 900 4500
Vox DA5
Mesa Mark III. That's the best head under a grand. Red stripe is preferred but the blue stripe is money too.

If you can spend closer to $1200 then Mesa Mark IV.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
thanks guys i ws looking at the the b52 at-100 that looked really nice and good for me but i have yet to play it i'll try the b52 u recomended deluxity

marshall was an obvious choice but ive herd the cleans are not to good ur opinion?
The best head for under 1000 is your mum... lolz!!1!1!11

But seriously I agree with the guy above, Mesa Mk3.
im not a big mesa guy i went on the website and i didnt search really hard but they arent making them new are they ? ...not being a used snob just need to know thanks

edit:what are these stripes u speak of
Last edited by mike110691 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by mike110691
thanks guys i ws looking at the the b52 at-100 that looked really nice and good for me but i have yet to play it i'll try the b52 u recomended deluxity

marshall was an obvious choice but ive herd the cleans are not to good ur opinion?

yup, marshall cleans suck (i hate marshall amps TBH) but you need to try it by yourself
Quote by deluxity
yup, marshall cleans suck (i hate marshall amps TBH) but you need to try it by yourself

Have you actually played a Marshall? If so, how many? If you know how to EQ an amp and don't have pickups that are too high output, you can get a good clean from a JCM800(notorious for bad cleans). JTM45's have magnificent cleans. JCM900 Dual Reverbs have the best cleans of all of the Marshalls. Basically, you made a blanket statement and a complete idiot of yourself.
Your best deals on gear are always used. Never buy new unless that's the only way (new Marshall JVM).

The Mark III is absolutely a killer amp. Great cleans, agressive and brutal distorsion. The stripes are on the back of the amp, blue green and red are all different versions. They have to do with some circuitry changes that affect noise and eq. Any of them are nice though.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Marshall DSL100 for me.

Cleans- Good.
Crunch - Marshall. Covers all the bands very well, IMO.
JCM 900 4100 (high gain dual reverb 100watt)
Works for EVERYTHING from the Cure to the Metal crap(with an OD).
Around 700 bucks on ebay and you'll still have enough to MAYBE get the cab to go with it.
i fyou find a deal go for a H&K, or a soldano. they pwn.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by deluxity

stupid a monkey!! I dont believe you have played the JCM800/900, Plexi's???? (Especially the 900** and plexi)
It has pretty good cleans for the price your playing and if you dont believe youtube it (and the quality sucks yet they are still good) and you have good distortion alon with it! And if your comparing to a fender yes the fender beats it mainly because you only buy fenders for their cleans, their Dist. sucks imo

**For the price
Last edited by False_God at Feb 1, 2007,
"yup, marshall cleans suck (i hate marshall amps TBH) but you need to try it by yourself"

LOL Another UG dumbass quote. Considering a large proportion of rock/metal has been recorded using Marshall's of some sort and some those songs have real nice sounding clean sections, I would say your post was toss.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by woodenbandman
i fyou find a deal go for a H&K, or a soldano. they pwn.

Srsly, Soldano destroyz. But H&K are expensive and you don't see many used(The good ones.)
The only thing I can say is do NOT get the JCM 2000 DSL head. Absolute garbage.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by deluxity

WTF

My jcm900 cleans are bloody amazing...what you on? O.o

Also the marshall crunch is either a love or hate kind of thing...personally i love it
compared to my hot rod deluxe the jcm 800 had awful cleans.. but good crunch though
1975 Ibanez Les Paul Custom with EMG 81\85 pups
Ibanez RG 470
Fender DG-8
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Marshall MS2
Marshall JH-1 dist pedal