Would you count 'nu-rave' (yuck, what a disgusting NME term) as indie? It sprang from the indie scene, and has indie elements. But is it over using the already pointless term indie? I know its not really important to classify genres and such, just something that interests me.
Im a Sometimes food.

Quote by platypus
sorry if i seem racist, but i just love it when a white dude bashes a negro.
Yeah, i probably would. Nu rave is essentially a new and different denomonation of indie. I agree indie is an overused term but thats because indies foundations are, as a rule, pretty loose (this isnt a bad thing) which means it allows a lot of different styles of music to be classified as indie, this means the term is overused but you cant deny that indie music is indie.
Member of the 'We Hate PETA' club. PM robbie to join.

The Adventures Of Cigaro

Today, Cigaro didn't take his pills, and the purple-headed monster is telling him to get off the Internet.
Quote by bobjewell87
nu rave doesnt exist

...and for the sake of sanity, shouldn't exist.

It'd be considered a sub-section of indie, yes. 'Indie' is (like someone said above) overly broad. There's no real definition to it anymore (at least in my opinion).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Wtf is nu-rave? I don't get crappy tabloids like NME.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I think its more a british thing. Like the klaxons, LCD soundsystem, MC lars, le tigre ETC.
Im a Sometimes food.

Quote by platypus
^ MC Lars? I don't read NME regularly, but I'd be very surprised if they were MC Lars fans, or if he even fit into this so called scene at all.
there is no such thing as nu-rave. it was a joke. by one band. it has been applied to other bands. its a ridiculous genre. it means nothing. all the supposed nu-rave bands can be better described by other terms.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
No, MC lars is someone I like, I thought he would give a kinda idea of what I was talking about. And the seriousness of the klaxons using 'nu-rave' might be debated, but its a scene now. Its got clothing, followers, music. Its the new big thing.
Im a Sometimes food.

Quote by platypus
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I don't think music really works that way.

These days it does, unfortunatelly.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by fbtmof
haha what is the clothing style for nu-rave?

Dressing like a twat.

I really hate nu-wave and all that shit.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by cashew nut
No, MC lars is someone I like, I thought he would give a kinda idea of what I was talking about. And the seriousness of the klaxons using 'nu-rave' might be debated, but its a scene now. Its got clothing, followers, music. Its the new big thing.

really, its not. just because some stupid kids think theyre part of a scene doesnt mean there is one. a scene requires bands who associate with each other making music with stylistic or ethical similarities. this isnt really the case with the 'nu-rave' bands.
Quote by the_astronaut
Dressing like a twat.

I really hate nu-wave and all that shit.

New Wave isn't 'Nu-Rave'.

Some New Wave is actually good too.
My brother purchased the Klaxons album yesterday and it didn't sound as bad as I was expecting, but not something to listen to very often.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by StuartR
New Wave isn't 'Nu-Rave'.

Some New Wave is actually good too.

I'm utterly confused. What're you talking about?

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Nu-rave is mostly shit in my opinion. The klaxons however (apart from atlantic to city interzone) are amazing. There is very few good nu-rave bands but the ones that are are amazing
surely "nu-rave" is just another word for electro pop rock, which is what i heard klaxons describe themselves as ages ago
POST FINDER
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Wtf is nu-rave? I don't get crappy tabloids like NME.

Assuming that wasn't a joke NME isn't a tabloid, you slight fool. It's a kinda mainstream UK indie magazine that pretends to be underground. Basically, it's quite good identifying new bands but when bands get bigger they either just jump on the bandwagon of love or of hate.

And new rave is a dancey indie genre which was massively exaggerated by NME and got some boys to start wearing green skinnies.
The Stuff!
Quote by thyme
Assuming that wasn't a joke NME isn't a tabloid, you slight fool. It's a kinda mainstream UK indie magazine that pretends to be underground. Basically, it's quite good identifying new bands but when bands get bigger they either just jump on the bandwagon of love or of hate.

And new rave is a dancey indie genre which was massively exaggerated by NME and got some boys to start wearing green skinnies.

i wouldnt say its good at idenitifying new bands. its usually pretty late to start cover new bands. if you want new bands you're better off looking at webzines really.
NME discovers fuck all, it's a bandwagon magazine.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

Can anyone recomend me some klaxons like bands? (without being total ripoffs plz)
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
shitdisco, the horrors, hot chip, new young pony club, the sunshine underground, CSS
What I heard is that, sort of as a joke, The Klaxons were calling themselves "Nu-Rave" like a couple years ago, and dressing all crazy like, and it just caught on, and kids think it's cool to look how they did like a year ago, and call it Nu-Rave?

Idk.
Listen to my music here
Quote by Meteorshower
Nu-rave is mostly shit in my opinion. The klaxons however (apart from atlantic to city interzone) are amazing. There is very few good nu-rave bands but the ones that are are amazing

it's from atlantis to interzone

Klaxons are pretty good, they have a unique style i think, i love them
Here my voice goes to ones and zeros...
Quote by AtReYuRoCk
it's from atlantis to interzone

Klaxons are pretty good, they have a unique style i think, i love them

I heard one song of theirs and it irritates the hell out of me. (the one with the oooiue! oaaa! ahh!)

But I listenened to their album in Virgin the other day and a few songs were pretty cool. I might borrow it off of someone.

Nu-rave is a stupid genre though. And every damn indie bans is doin' it thesedays.
i like the klaxons but the rest of the scene is utter shite.
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Quote by the_astronaut
NME discovers fuck all, it's a bandwagon magazine.

It was pretty early with the libs.. although it hasn't done **** all since

I honestly don't know what to think of the klaxons, is their album worth buying? I love Atlantis to Interzone, but Golden Skans is ****ing bollocks. Is the album more towards the Atlantis end of the scale than Golden Skans?

CSS are awesome though
'Nu-Rave' was not originally coined by the NME, despite many statements to the contrary. The Klaxons themselves created the term, and because of this, it seems quite pretentious of them to pretend to have been pigeon-holed and wanting to fly out of it.

Nu-rave is awful.

I can't wait for Nu-Grime.
nu rave whens grunge coming back ive been waiting for years
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Quote by jaymyvendetta
It was pretty early with the libs.. although it hasn't done **** all since

I guess. But don't get me started on the Libertines.

Quote by ETHANEVIL

I really like the Golden Skans song especially the bass part in the verse. I think it is a great tune.

NME have just taken the Nu-Rave thing out of proportion. Even if it is a good way to describe the type of sound of the Klaxons etc (which I believe it isn't) fair enough I suppose. But when they start portraying it as the Holy Grail of new music then they are wrong.
NME might have been good back in olden times, but now I find it is just a magazine which hypes up band which are quite mediocre (not saying that they don't showcase some bands, but they are now in the majority) and they also now have a obession with drugs and the image of bands. That sucks IMO.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Quote by fbtmof
haha what is the clothing style for nu-rave?

Last edited by Turambar at Apr 2, 2007,